Soupeod

Duterte tells US, Western nations: S. China Sea code is the least of your concern

Soupeod

https://politics.com.ph/duterte-tells-us-western-nations-s-china-sea-code-is-the-least-of-your-concern/

Duterte tells US, Western nations: S. China Sea code is the least of your concern

The United States and other Western nations should just leave matters pertaining to the Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea to claimant countries, President Rodrigo Duterte said.

Duterte said this during his bilateral meeting with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing Friday.

“I’ve been the recipient of so many requests regarding the progress of the Code of Conduct that China is preparing for at least hearing the side of what would happen during the operation of the conduct,” according to the President.

“Most of the… are Asian countries. The biggest urgency, really comes from the Western world and I would like to tell you now, in front media and all, that the passage of the Code of Conduct by China and everyone is the least concern of America,” he added.

Duterte and Chinese President Xi Jinping earlier agreed to the creation of a South China Sea code to peacefully resolve the disputes.

“The Filipino head of state articulated his firm belief that the Code of Conduct would contribute in the resolution of numerous conflicts in the disputed areas of the South China Sea,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo in a statement said.

“Chinese President Xi agreed with President Duterte that there is a need for the formulation of the Code of Conduct and it should be crafted within the last remaining years of PRRD,” he added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MickyG

He is deluded to believe that the integrity of international shipping lanes is not to be of global significance and importance.

he may have sold out on his jet ski navy promise, that does not mean others will bend so easily

• Like 6

RedRanger

He also sent a Happy Birthday message by video to my buddy in Philippines this week as well.  Duterte is busy

KID

Would love to see what an investigation of his bank accounts would show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete
12 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Delusional!  Quote: The biggest urgency, really comes from the Western world and I would like to tell you now, in front media and all, that the passage of the Code of Conduct by China and everyone is the least concern of America,” 

I just hope that when the Philippines finally realise they are being duped (that will be just after it's too late) that they remain 'the least concern of the west and America' when they are screaming out for assistance. They can't play both ends against the middle and win, it just will not happen. :wacko:

• Like 6

TimL

Saw this @ Cebu Daily News this morning.  Not really my idea of how to get what you want. Seems more like he is afraid to piss him off.

President Rodrigo Duterte struck an apologetic tone during his meeting last week with Chinese President Xi Jinping where he raised the 2016 arbitral ruling that invalidated China’s claim over nearly the entire South China Sea.

“The President said, ‘I didn’t want to alarm you with what I’m about to raise because of your problem in Hong Kong, which is why I’m asking for forgiveness, but I need to say this because I promised my countrymen,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said on Sunday, quoting the President as telling Xi.

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/255445/palace-duterte-tackled-hague-ruling-with-xi-apologetically#ixzz5yPnq9BWm 
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• Like 1

Dafey

Keep in mind he speaks out of both sides of his mouth. It was only a couple of weeks ago that he was urging the US to "take the first shot"!

• Like 4

Bama
5 hours ago, Ozepete said:

I just hope that when the Philippines finally realise they are being duped (that will be just after it's too late) that they remain 'the least concern of the west and America' when they are screaming out for assistance.

Too late being perhaps after Palawan has been gobbled by China ????

• Like 1

MickyG
20 minutes ago, Bama said:

Too late being perhaps after Palawan has been gobbled by China ????

the next 10 dot dash line will mark palawan as a reef and Benham rise in the east as an ancient Atoll

sierra01
21 hours ago, KID said:

Would love to see what an investigation of his bank accounts would show

They did that to Taksin in Thailand, they found, amongst other things, that he had the worlds most wealthiest chauffeur. 

to_dave007
22 hours ago, Ozepete said:

They can't play both ends against the middle and win, it just will not happen. :wacko:

Really?  What history books have YOU been reading?

• Haha 2

Ozepete
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Really?  What history books have YOU been reading?

?   :scratch_head:

TimL

I find it mildly amusing that China will not abide by the Haige Tribunal but, is crying to the WTO over trade with the US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bama

Credit Manila Times.

durt.jpg.d1e2b7f83d509565ae4c7f0e7d712953.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lamoe
On 9/4/2019 at 6:52 AM, Ozepete said:

?   :scratch_head:

In the past many developing countries played the East (first Russia now China) against the West (US) in order to achieve benefits / concessions from each at the same time.

• Like 2