Jump to content
HeyMike

International Driver's License

Recommended Posts

HeyMike

I am looking for information on getting an international driver's license while here in Cebu. I am an American here on a balikbayan with a valid New Jersey license. Can I get an international license while I am here, and if so, where would I go for it and what is the procedure? Thank you for any info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bkb1

You get them in your home country. Not worth the paper their printed on. Their good for a year but in Philippines your license, international or not is only good for 3 months from your last visa stamp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
1 hour ago, HeyMike said:

I am an American here on a balikbayan

Mike, 

I'm on BB also. If you go to the Province, bring your wife, and show them your BB stamp good for a year they will probably issue a Ph licence. That should be good for a year then when you renew you'll get 5 years. Renewal is easy peazy...no need to show your visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
1 hour ago, HeyMike said:

I am looking for information on getting an international driver's license while here in Cebu. I am an American here on a balikbayan with a valid New Jersey license. Can I get an international license while I am here, and if so, where would I go for it and what is the procedure? Thank you for any info.

An international drivers license is not really a drivers license, it is a translation card, to translate your foreign license to another language. If your foreign license is in English, it serves no purpose in the Philippines.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeyMike
48 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

You get them in your home country. Not worth the paper their printed on. Their good for a year but in Philippines your license, international or not is only good for 3 months from your last visa stamp.

That is what I was wondering, if I had to get it in my home country. Thank you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeyMike
43 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Mike, 

I'm on BB also. If you go to the Province, bring your wife, and show them your BB stamp good for a year they will probably issue a Ph licence. That should be good for a year then when you renew you'll get 5 years. Renewal is easy peazy...no need to show your visa.

Thanks Dafey. My wife is not here with me right now and I really don't want to get a Philippine license, just the international for when I go to Australia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeyMike
34 minutes ago, shadow said:

An international drivers license is not really a drivers license, it is a translation card, to translate your foreign license to another language. If your foreign license is in English, it serves no purpose in the Philippines.

Thanks Shadow, the license is for when I go to Australia, not for here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maximian
25 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

Thanks Shadow, the license is for when I go to Australia, not for here.

If your American license is valid  you can use that in Australia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeyMike
3 minutes ago, maximian said:

If your American license is valid  you can use that in Australia. 

Thanks Maximian. I tried to research the laws in the different territories and states in Australia and it does seem that if you are a visitor then the foreign license should be ok. I will only be there for like 2 weeks, but my friend thinks I will still need an international license for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

https://www.goget.com.au/blog/driving-in-australia-overseas-license/

https://www.easyrentcars.com/locations/countries/car-rental-australia/driving-licence-requirements

The international license is really not needed in most instances.  Particularly if you’re from the USA where photo ID is more common.  

Just the same, there are a lot of people who strongly believe that the IL is required.  I’ve only had one when I lived in Europe in a non English speaking country. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRanger
On 8/31/2019 at 7:55 PM, Dafey said:

Mike, 

I'm on BB also. If you go to the Province, bring your wife, and show them your BB stamp good for a year they will probably issue a Ph licence. That should be good for a year then when you renew you'll get 5 years. Renewal is easy peazy...no need to show your visa.

Why bring the wife?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeyMike

I did some research online and no international license is needed to drive in any of the State/territories in Australia if your overseas license is still valid, in English, and your stay is less than 90 days.

My friend was mistaken thinking I needed an international license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
54 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

I did some research online and no international license is needed to drive in any of the State/territories in Australia if your overseas license is still valid, in English, and your stay is less than 90 days.

My friend was mistaken thinking I needed an international license.

Yes, we knew that!

:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..