Disney’s Star Wars sodas aren’t allowed on planes

Dafey

• Administrator
Dafey

image.png.8ae115b6ac40996f814e2830a9f9bc74.png

This is why design is important!

There are many, many ways that Disney gets you, and at their theme parks, it’s usually with all manner of souvenirs. Sure, you may be on the brink of heat exhaustion in the Florida sun and in desperate need of a soda, any soda, but wouldn’t you rather one of these little bottles of Sprite that look like “thermal detonators” from the Star Wars film franchise? Well, too bad for Disney, because according to the TSA, the novelty bottles aren’t allowed on either carry-on or checked luggage, due to their resemblance to weapons.

The bottles “could create concern that it’s the real thing,” TSA spokesperson Jim Gregory told the Orange County Register, standing with its rule that “squirt guns, Nerf guns, toy swords, or other items that resemble realistic firearms or weapons are prohibited.” Which you’d think Disney would have thought of! Looks like they’ll just have to rely on the thousands of other souvenirs for sale to keep them in the black.

The bottles “could create concern that it’s the real thing,” TSA spokesperson Jim Gregory told the Orange County Register, standing with its rule that “squirt guns, Nerf guns, toy swords, or other items that resemble realistic firearms or weapons are prohibited.” Which you’d think Disney would have thought of! Looks like they’ll just have to rely on the thousands of other souvenirs for sale to keep them in the black.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/foodanddrink/foodnews/whoops-disneys-grenade-shaped-star-wars-sodas-arent-allowed-on-planes/ar-AAGsRRC?ocid=spartandhp

• Haha 2
lamoe

Not the first marketing decision that backfired - won't be the last - just ask Gillett

SkyMan
47 minutes ago, Dafey said:

The bottles “could create concern that it’s the real thing,”

Well if it's Coke, it's the real thing.

Can't take drinks through security anyway.  

• Like 1
savarity

I know a person can take a real gun on in checked luggage within the US, there is a procedure for it, but nerf toy guns can't be in checked luggage? or these silly things?

Soupeod
10 hours ago, Dafey said:

Effin crazy talk bullshit! Haha How about we train these TSA dumb asses. 😅

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
Effin crazy talk bullshit! Haha How about we train these TSA dumb asses.

We can teach them how to disarm a soda! But, they’d probably need six peeps and still spray it all over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thermal detonator? Isn’t that supposed to be BB-8 like?

The (CO2) force is strong in this one Luke...

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
13 hours ago, Paddy said:

Thermal detonator? Isn’t that supposed to be BB-8 like?

Oh Dude....you need to brush up on your Star Wars....

• Haha 1
Soupeod
11 hours ago, Dafey said:

• Like 1
Soupeod

TSA to allow Star Wars' 'thermal detonator' Coke bottles after ban

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/tsa-star-wars-ban-coke-bottles

spacer.png

“The force” is with you, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge visitors, now that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will officially allow the “thermal detonator”-shaped Coca-Cola bottles to be carried in checked luggage and carry-on bags in the high skies, overturning an earlier ban on traveling with the must-have memento.

Reps for the federal agency announced the news last week, detailing that while the themed soda bottles could be perceived as “replica hand grenades,” they will allow Disney World and Disneyland tourists to take the item home with them – with some stipulations.

“The issue concerning Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge-themed soda bottles has recently been brought to our attention by the general public, as these items could reasonably be seen by some as replica hand grenades, the TSA said in a statement. “We appreciate the concerns being raised because replica explosives are not permitted in either carry-on or checked bags. We have completed our review, and instructed our officers to treat these as an oversized liquid.”

“Because these bottles contain liquids larger than 3.4 ounces, they should be put in checked baggage or emptied to be brought on as carry-on items,” it continued. “TSA officers will maintain the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint if they believe it poses a security threat.”

...more info in the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/3/2019 at 7:02 AM, Dafey said:

See? I never really got into the later movies and would never think a “thermal detonator” cool. 

Why anyone would think that “the authorities” would consider them cool mementos suitable for secure areas is beyond me. 

But it takes all types to make a world, so they say. Even Star Wars illiterates such as myself...

• Like 2
On 9/4/2019 at 5:21 PM, Dafey said:

give it a try...let us know.

If I do it would probably be from my jail cell.

CHINA TSA  - I had a 150 Ml bottle about 1 /3 full - took it away cause the "bottle" itself was not regulation

• Administrator
Dafey
6 hours ago, lamoe said:

If I do it would probably be from my jail cell.

It's a risk I'm willing to take!