SkyMan

Good deal on paint brushes

SkyMan
Posted (edited)

I rebuilt my dog kennels and am working on the doors. 1" angle bar frames with 2" construction mesh welded in. I want to paint them with red oxide metal primer and have roller for the mesh but need a brush to get in and around the welds. All I could find in the garage were dried up stiff ones.

There's a Chinese owned HW on the hiway that has decent brushes in the p25-35 range but I was too busy to get down there before 5pm Friday or Saturday. Yesterday I stopped in at the Lilo-an Gaisano and the Handyman had some brushes but almost p100 and I wanted to get a few so I'd have a brush for the next project so that was too much. 

Then I remembered there's a small HW area on the top floor so went up the 3 escalators and looked. They also had the overpriced ones but I noticed a package of 10 brushes. 2 of each size from 3" down to like 1/2". I probably won't use the smallest 4 but the bigger ones will get used eventually so for p199 seemed like a good deal.   

Waiting in line to pay I noticed a Dollar Store price sticker in the corner for $2.99. I mused that I was paying almost $4 for an item that didn't sell in the US for $3.  Well, a thing is worth what you're willing to pay for it.  I hadn't noticed any clearance signs but it rang up as p100 and I checked the receipt to make sure it was right.  The receipt had the original p199 and p99 reduced.  So good deal. 

You might also be interested that they have good quality Sherlock brand door hinges for p199. These are strong stainless bearing hinges and even the screws are long enough to be useful.  That's cheaper than all but the cheapest junk hinges that Ace sells where you just throw the useless screws away.  So it pays to look around at some of these department store HW areas rather than going straight to the 'name' places.

Edited by SkyMan

Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I rebuilt my dog kennels and am working on the doors. 1" angle bar frames with 2" construction mesh welded in. I want to paint them with red oxide metal primer and have roller for thr mesh but need a brush to get in and around the welds. All I could find in the garage were dried up stiff ones.

There's a Chinese owned HW on the hiway that has decent brushes in the p25-35 range but I was too busy to get down there before 5pm Friday or Saturday. Yesterday I stopped in at the Lilo-an Gaisano and the Handyman had some brushes but almost p100 and I wanted to get a few so I'd have a brush for the next project so that was too much. 

Then I remembered there's a small HW area on the top floor so went up the 3 escalators and looked. They also had the overpriced ones but I noticed a package of 10 brushes. 2 of each size from 3" down to like 1/2". I probably won't use the smallest 4 but the bigger ones will get used eventually so for p100 seemed like a good deal.   

Waiting in line to pay I noticed a Dollar Store price sticker in the corner for $2.99. I mused that I was paying almost $4 for an item that didn't sell in the US for $3.  Well, a thing is worth what you're willing to pay for it.  I hadn't noticed any clearance signs but it rang up as p100 and I checked the receipt to make sure it was right.  The receipt had the original p199 and p99 reduced.  So good deal. 

You might also be interested that they have good quality Sherlock brand door hinges for p199. These are strong stainless bearing hinges and even the screws are long enough to be useful.  That's cheaper than all but the cheapest junk hinges that Ace sells where you just throw the useless screws away.  So it pays to look around at some of these department store HW areas rather than going straight to the 'name' places.

What is your advice on saws?

SkyMan
Just now, Davaoeno said:

What is your advice on saws?

What kind of saw?

Dafey

Seesaws...

SkyMan
Just now, Dafey said:

Seesaws...

They have their ups and downs. 

• Like 1