Prime Rib on a Buffet?

shadow
30 minutes ago, Cebuandrew said:

Lol...imported beef, sold at the retail level on Bantayan Island? Not in the last 5 1/2 years at least. Yeah, there is a small shop here that sells frozen pinoy meats and 2 kinds of sliced imported cheese, but I'm friends with many resto owners here and even bacon, they bring up from Cebu. One of the top restos gets their chicken in Bogo, and even fresh local pork is better then the frozen stuff that shop sells. The only product local restos buy from it is cream cheese and one place buys sour cream from them.

Note Belcris map shows Cebu North, Bantayan island.

image.thumb.png.2d9cef16514ce3a5987cecdca60105e2.png

http://belcris.com/contact.html

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cebuandrew

• fordtech

• smokey

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Occasionally, when I go to Cebu, I have a beef steak. The quality is nowhere near that of properly raised goat which has the taste of high grade beef with a hint of lamb, but I have no choice but to e

It is a small place, but they have big freezers with lots of meat (beef, pork, chicken, seafood). They also have processed meats, such as sausage, bacon and ham, as well as frozen french fries and oth

Good idea, but I would go to Belcris Foods for steaks and roasts. That is where the better restaurants go for their meat. There is a location in Banilad near the intersection of Archbishop Reyes and A

Posted Images

Cebuandrew
37 minutes ago, Gus said:

So you don't believe me ?

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

My bad Gus, I apologize. Just went and had a look at the shop I figured you were saying about. I've been to the shop a few times over the years to get cheese, but last time I went, the cheese was expiring next day, so I never went back. Never noticed the sign above it, cuz it always has been a small shop selling frozen Pinoy meats.

Second photo is my friend Phillip, who has a owned a small French cafe just 2 untis from Belcris for last 4 years (before this meat shop first opened). His cafe is other side of the souvenir place. Phillip told me he's shocked the place is still open, as they rarely get customers. He said you were right though--2 years ago, they brought in some imported steaks, didn't advertise it, no one knew about it, so 6 months later, they took them out of stock. Plus, tourists don't come here for beef--ample fresh and low cost seafood is everywhere. Third photo is Jonathon stopping by to say hi. He recently took over a nice resto here, did months of homework on it (e.g., where to get his stocks), and he never heard of this shop being of anything he'd ever get product at. Why?

Last photo is Big Jel's, which opened 2 years ago, has 3-4 times the Pinoy frozen meat selection, and is right across the street. I took that photo while chatting with Phillip at his cafe. While I'm assuming the Belcris Headshot is showing us is a whole different world of selection, yes, I now see we have one here. It can also be noted that I took these photos at 1:45 on a Thusday afternoon, and this Belcris is closed. Pretty wild, since the island is packed with tourists, who are taking a long holiday break now. Many stay in the numerous guesthouses here that come with a kitchen. I asked Phillip why Belcris was closed, and he threw his hands up in the air, and in his thick French accent said "there is no rhyme or reason to the times they open."

DSC01581.JPG

DSC01582.JPG

DSC01583.JPG

DSC01587.JPG

No problem ..
Yes I know the french cafe patisserie , just across from MJ Square .
Just a little history .
I had a steak at a BbQ at my friend's home in Ste Fe last november and he told me he had brought them from the local Belcris .( I was surprised)
Sadly, he has since passed away .I just texted another friend who has multiple food outlets on the Island this morning.
..and that was the info I posted this morning.

We went back to Vikings last night for a birthday. I was parked in a booth right at the beef/lamb/turkey roast section.  To be honest the beef was ho-hum, but have to say I got my money's worth from the lamb alone :thumbsup:  That's the main thing I miss moving from Aussie - it's so damn expensive here (well it's not cheap in AU either) and very few resto's offer it.  The lamb and good gravies/sauces (mushroom, pepper etc) are worth going back for.

Actually, other than Vikings I can only remember one resto that used it in a small Lamb Caldereta.

Also went to New Orleans resto at Ayala a couple of Sundays ago - a nice surprise find. I'd like a little more cajun/blackened spices on a few dishes - but will be back for sure.

Cebuandrew
12 minutes ago, Gus said:

Sadly, he has since passed away

Sorry about your friend. Yeah, I'm pretty good friends with the owners of Stumble Inn, Cafe Mare, HR, Panyang, Tapa Master and Sarapoi, and I'm pretty positive none of them gets meat from the Belcris here. My biz partner in a hotel here also owns Bantayan Burrito and I know he only goes there for cream cheese. Not sure why any resto would buy higher priced frozen pork, chicken or even ham, when fresh pork is everywhere and chickens are cheap. The rent at that shop is cheap--8k/month, but with so few customers, I assume their doors remain open cuz the HQ's wants it here.

• Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, GBT62 said:

I got my money's worth from the lamb alone :thumbsup:  That's the main thing I miss moving from Aussie

Hey now...this is a family site!

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Hey now...this is a family site!

no no no - sheep are in fear elsewhere - am sure that's been covered before :scratch_head:

:cool:

• Like 1

. My biz partner in a hotel here also owns Bantayan Burrito and I know he only goes there for cream cheese.

Funnily enough it was Jamie ..your business partner that I texted this morning ..have known Jamie , pre Bantayan days ..

Cebuandrew

Had a conversation tonight over dinner, with Larry, the owner of Sarapoi, who serves the best steak and imported beef on the island. Dude has filet mignon on his menu, and other cuts. I told him about this thread. He has a big following of local foreigners for customers. I eat there, on average 2 dinners a week, and we've been friends for years. He told me that 2 years ago, Belcris here brought in imported steaks, he bought several and had a "steak night" for his Madridejos group. He said it was horrible and was worried he lost his crowd from there. He threw away his remaining stock, and now is the 2nd person in the know to tell me today that they only sold imported beef here for a few months 2 years ago. I'm guessing, like everyone in da Phils, Belcris got a bad shipment of beef, and shipped it off to places like here. I'm still excited about going to the shop Headshot recommends with my small cooler. Great conversation though that led to Larry looking into Prime Rib from his Cebu supplier. I offered him a 20% mark-up to his cost, which is standard here.