Salty Dog

How Did You End Up Married To A Filipina

Salty Dog

This comes up every so often, but there are enough newer members that it's worth bringing up again.

I'm sure some won't want to discuss such personal matters, but there are probably more than a few who don't mind.

I know a lot of the members have been married before in their home country. Many have children and some even grandchildren from such marriages.

So how did you end up married to a Filipina and/or living in the Philippines?

I assume most are divorced and maybe a few are widowers, but how did that happen after being married to your previous wife of 20-30 years or more? What does your non-Filipino family think about what you've done? What do your children think about you being married to a Filipina who may be younger than them?

In my case, I was married for 32 years. No children though. We just seemed to grow apart. It was like we were roommates rather than husband and wife. It turned out she was Bipolar. That probably contributed to some issues as well. It wasn't a contentious divorce. Everything was quite amicable. We remained friends. Her and my current wife are even friends.

Unlike many of you, I wasn't looking for a Filipina wife. We just happen to meet on an online chatroom. It wasn't even a dating site. It started off as just friends, but of course I'm sure many of you know what that leads to. I was going to school on the GI Bill at the time. I had a lot of frequent flyer miles and figured I would be adventurous and fly to the Philippines to meet her over Spring Break. It took nearly two days to get there and two days to get back, leaving me only 3 days in the Philippines. It was a leap of faith for both of us. Neither knowing for sure that the other would show up at the airport. In her case it was a 12+ hour bus trip to get to Manila from her home. Our first impressions were she seemed smaller than I thought she would be and of course her's was the opposite about me :biggrin_01:. I had a great time and came back during the summer break for 21 days. I was hooked by then. I came back a third time to live in the Philippines. We got married 4 years later. it's been over 10 years since we first met. We have been living in the USA for almost 4 years. She became a US Citizen this year. She was planning to go back to the Philippines for a visit next year, but said she would trade it for a trip to Europe :P.

As for how my family feels about the choices I've made. My parents both died before I was divorced from my previous wife. I have two sisters who both seem to love my current wife. All those stories about how people would look at us and talk behind our backs about our age difference haven't happened or if so, it isn't apparent to either of us. Of course my wife wasn't a teenager or even in her twenties when we got married. She is currently 38 years old. 

So that's my short story about how I ended up with a Filipina wife...:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

My mother has 6 sons..  and today 4 of the 6 are married to Filipina.  We come from Irish Catholic roots in Canada..  and the fit seems to be good.

Years ago..  when the first of my brothers started dating a Filipina..  I remember getting a letter from my mum in which she wrote.. "Your brother is dating a brown girl.  I know everyone is doing it these days.   just wish it wasn't one of my sons".  Well  nearly 30 years later my mum is 86..  and has 4 brown daughter in law..  and she loves them all.  Those brown girls sure are quick to jump and help when help is needed within the family...  and there's not an ounce of lazy in any of them.

For myself..  I'm the oldest son..  and the last to get Pinoy-ed.  So when I first considered the Philippines I already had 3 Pinoy sisters-in-law.  I was specifically looking for a wife..  my LAST wife..  my 3rd wife.  She's in her late 20's now..  me 40 years older..  and it's not been all smooth..  But there's no doubt in my mind..  She's a great catch..  and we can make it work.  She doesn't want to emigrate to Canada..  so we make our life here. I expect to be buried here one day.. out next to the pineapples perhaps.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Salty Dog

You know, I never ever considered a Filipino as being brown. Of course I'm from Florida where everyone is brown. I could see how it might be much different up there in Canada...:D

to_dave007
4 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I never ever considered a Filipino as being brown.

I feel the same..  but 30 years ago my MOTHER felt differently than she does today.

• Thanks 1

Headshot

I first came to the Philippines back in 1968. However, i wasn't until 2009 when I came back to see if the Philippines might hold my future. I met my future wife. We clicked on a lot of different levels. I fell in love with her. I asked her to marry me. We decided to live here for a while, and we are still here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Salty Dog

Bill I met your wife, and lucky for you, she's nothing like you...:rofl:

On a more serious note. Weren't you married before for many years, and have children and grandchildren from that marriage?

Headshot
13 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Bill I met your wife, and lucky for you, she's nothing like you...:rofl:

On a more serious note. Weren't you married before for many years, and have children and grandchildren from that marriage?

Yes. We had three daughters (one is deceased) and six grandchildren. We separated amicably after almost 35 years when our goals and dreams were no longer compatible and there was nothing left to hold us together.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

wondersailor

About 4 years ago I married a filipina here in the Philippines and brought her to the US. Within 3 months of her arrival I ran to the nearest attorney. The court system made me wait another year after filling.One year later I retired. I wanted to move as far away from her as I could get. The Philippines. All's well that ends well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edwin
Posted (edited)

I was thinking of making a trip to the Philippines so I went online way ahead of time to look for someone to spend some time with while there. I saw a profile on a site that intrigued me so I contacted her. Somehow my profile stated that I was a Filipino living in Manila but I was telling her I was an American in Florida. She straightened me out and we laughed about it. After a few days we were on Viber on a two hour phone call. Then a visit three months later and I was hooked. A second visit six months later and I met the family. Fourteen months later and my fiancé and her twelve year old son arrived in the he USA in May of 2018. We have an addition to the family,  our five month old boy. I retired two weeks ago. I have two kids in their mid thirties who adore our baby and my wife. My wife is 37 and I am 25 years older. 

Edited by Edwin
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2