Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Easy Water Purification

broden
Do you remember how much that cost?

i thought you just used Jack to purify your water ...

you know if you're forced to drink water

edited to capitalize the j in Jack out of respect for Paul

Edited by broden

Paul

LOL. Always a wise guy in the crowd. :lol:

Thanks, misty

PiRider
They usually drop chlorine to purify water. Last year after Typhoon Frank, it was hard to get hold of chlorine coz of the high demand. I managed to buy some bags of chlorine at Rose Pharmacy and after we got our deep well siphoned out, prior to sealing it again, the guys drop some chlorine to disinfect our water source. Since there was a shortage of drinking water, we decided to buy a water purifier at Ace Hardware. We got similar to this one:

1196123_megafresh.jpg

It's over a year now since we got it and for the price we paid for it, it has paid itself off vs buying 5 gallon drinking water. I've previously noticed that some bottles are not even cleaned out properly and you'll see residue floating. Having a water purifier you at least know your water source rather than not knowing where the water from the 5 gallon water came from.

I was actually amazed the first time we used it. lol Our water since it just flooded was a bit murky and after it got filtered, it was crystal clear. Didn't get the shits or bad stomach.... :)

Misty you do know that this product you bought is to only make your water smell taste and look better? it does not take out the nasties, like cyst "The term cyst most commonly refers to the chlorine-resistant protozoa giardia and cryptosporidium, from animal waste A big problem in the PI thats what give most people the shits here and kills a lot of babies, its just not well publicised. another is MTBE is found a lot in the surface water here that finds its way to well because it has no natural enemy, its what is use to make octane in unleaded fuel higher, so by our wonderful scientist told to remove lead from our fuels, away went great gas replaces by MTBE which is WORSE. of course you will not read this anywhere because of the billions of dollars that was spent and is now they are searching for something else, and until the petrochemical engineers find a solution or replacement toxin you won't realize its a problem. MISTY your system does no remove MTBE's the silent killer! neither does RO, and no one in the water industry in the Philippines even test for this!

OK breath easy , your water may not even be contaminated, but if you live in Cebu I bet it is! any city environment in America is, so what do you think about dirty Cebu. The cities of LA, New York, Chicago, have secretly spent 500 million on filtration systems specifically for MTBE'S

Also a big misconception is my well water is good when I tested it, so its all good, I ask do you test your water daily, I know of a family who lost their baby to tainted well water from dead rats that were poisoned then were looking for a water source, this is a side effect of rat poisons, it dehydrates it victims, so they go in search of water, and die. So you might have to protect your self from what might happen and you never know! I check my spring weekley. and even some times I forget because its working so well I forget, kinda out of sight out of mind.

misty
Misty you do know that this product you bought is to only make your water smell taste and look better? it does not take out the nasties, like cyst "The term cyst most commonly refers to the chlorine-resistant protozoa giardia and cryptosporidium, from animal waste A big problem in the PI thats what give most people the shits here and kills a lot of babies, its just not well publicised. another is MTBE is found a lot in the surface water here that finds its way to well because it has no natural enemy, its what is use to make octane in unleaded fuel higher, so by our wonderful scientist told to remove lead from our fuels, away went great gas replaces by MTBE which is WORSE. of course you will not read this anywhere because of the billions of dollars that was spent and is now they are searching for something else, and until the petrochemical engineers find a solution or replacement toxin you won't realize its a problem. MISTY your system does no remove MTBE's the silent killer! neither does RO, and no one in the water industry in the Philippines even test for this!

OK breath easy , your water may not even be contaminated, but if you live in Cebu I bet it is! any city environment in America is, so what do you think about dirty Cebu. The cities of LA, New York, Chicago, have secretly spent 500 million on filtration systems specifically for MTBE'S

Also a big misconception is my well water is good when I tested it, so its all good, I ask do you test your water daily, I know of a family who lost their baby to tainted well water from dead rats that were poisoned then were looking for a water source, this is a side effect of rat poisons, it dehydrates it victims, so they go in search of water, and die. So you might have to protect your self from what might happen and you never know! I check my spring weekley. and even some times I forget because its working so well I forget, kinda out of sight out of mind.

Thanks for the word of caution. It's almost a year now since we've had our water purifier and so far we haven't experienced anything untoward. As for my baby, he has his own water, since birth he has been using Absolut Distilled Drinking water.

Bob Ward
Thanks for the word of caution. It's almost a year now since we've had our water purifier and so far we haven't experienced anything untoward. As for my baby, he has his own water, since birth he has been using Absolut Distilled Drinking water.

gallery_919_70_2636.jpg

misty
gallery_919_70_2636.jpg

Opps my bad... :rolleyes:

This IS what he drinks.... :)

dsc010201.jpg

PiRider

Misty that brings up a good point, who's to say that all water is contaminated, the fact is all the containaments any products say they filter is probably not in your water to begin with.

But like you if I had a new born I would cautious as any good concerned parent would.

misty
Misty that brings up a good point, who's to say that all water is contaminated, the fact is all the containaments any products say they filter is probably not in your water to begin with.

But like you if I had a new born I would cautious as any good concerned parent would.

I totally agree with your point. That's why he has his own water. We've experienced it last year during Typhoon Frank where we are stranded at home after the flood and he ran out of his distilled water. I had no choice but to boil some water from our hot and cold dispenser. Luckily he didn't have adverse effects. Since then we stock up at least 2 extra 6gallon of Absolute distilled water for his consumption.

And for added precaution he's been vaccinated from Rotavirus.

JamesMusslewhite

I have one one thing to add we learned in jungle survival training. We were taught to keep a silk bandanna, any small piece of silk will do. Use the silk cloth to screen and filter the water first, it will help remove heavy partials out of the water. I would think that dirty water could be screened with the silk before the bottles are placed out into the sun. It could save your life, because you can go 7 - 9 days without food without serious hurt to your over all health, but you are in a serious hurt on the 4th day without water. The silk cloth can work well with muddy water and rain water, then the sun can do the rest.

The remarks about plastic is true, but only certain plastics are approved for food storage usage. Soda bottles should be the best I would think. I always keep a silk cloth in my camping gear, folded inside my canteen cup. It works very well.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Runian

As I am a big fan of mother earth I like this kind of earthly ways of getting bye, hens I have read a little about UV disinfection of water a while back. So to up my number of post I did a quick google to brush up on this sub.

So in short, if u need to clean water the bottle on the roof will to you good. However it will not give u sterile water, for that u need a UV lamp at the right wavelength. Chaz use this higher up in the thread, This method is also dependent on clean storage as the sterile water will get contaminated in an unsterilised storage tank. So to keep your water pure u install a uv light in a

Paul
I have a PDF on the UV part so if any1 want it, pm me and I'll mail it to u.

Would you email me a copy of that PDF?

paul @ kitakits . com

Inday_Susan

There's a lot of good information on the previous posts and I just want to give a run down to clarify some stuff and some advice. First of all, I work for the 'water industry' on the government side here in Australia and that's where my knowledge of water comes from. I may not have the complete information on water purification so please bear with me.

Below are only some of the common methods of water purification depending on the type of contaminants you wanted to get rid off.

1. Settling - basically to removed solids, sediments and some type of iron

2. Chlorination - to get rid of biological contaminant including bacteria, viruses and other various types of harmful organisms normally referred to as pathogens (including parasites, protozoa, etc.)

3. Ozone treatment - it uses unstable oxygen gas which degrades back to nonharmful oxygen. This is used to treat biological contaminant

4. UV treatment - to get rid of biological contaminant

5. Activated Carbon - this is the main ingredient in domestic and commercial water filters which treats water by absorption of heavy mineral, suspended solids and dissolved hydrocarbons (these are contaminants from petroleum products including grease, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, other types of lubricants)

6. Zeolites - also used in commercial and some domestic water filters, it treats water by absorption

7. Boiling - as mentioned before to get rid of biological contaminant

So from the above there are two types of contaminant: biological or chemical.

Most water treatment combines the above methods of treatment as some biological contaminants may be resistant to one method and chemical contaminants may occur in different forms such as colloids, dissolved gas or part of the suspended solids.

Simply boiling tap, well or bore water may not get rid of all the biological contaminants specially amoeba. Not all domestic water filters treat biological contaminants. You need read the active ingredient and how your filter works to identify what contaminants it will remove. It is strongly recommended to change the cartridges regularly per instruction as when it gets overloaded with contaminants it will not give you clean water anymore.

Drinking of distilled water for a prolonged time is also not healthy. Distilled water which is plain H2O lacks the natural minerals our body needs for healthy growth. Remember from the above, I said settling removes iron, but this is a different type of iron as organic iron is required for healthy blood. We also need some bacteria in our body, in fact our guts are full of it and this is how our body develops its immune system to fight off harmful biological organisms.

Also be careful with adding chlorine direct to your well or a container. Make sure you got the right amount of chlorine for dosing a certain volume of water and there are no residual chlorine which can cause cancer. In a well or bore it is not possible to calculate the exact volume of water to be treated as you will also need to treat the aquifer during a flood. Chemical dosing is only recommended to treat the inside of the well or bore if this is the source of contamination as in a dead rat inside the well, you will remove the rat first and add your chlorine. I will also recommend to stand the water overnight before drinking to remove excess chlorine which will turn into gas and absorbed in the air.

In my opinion, one safe source of drinking water is rain water collected from clean roofs and clean containers. In the bush or what we call rural areas here in Oz, is the main source of drinking water supply. Because rain water has never touched the ground or soil you don't have to worry about biological or chemical contamination. As rain water may carry solids as well either from the air or from the roofs, you can leave it to settle for a day. If people are worried about galvanised roof or corroded roof contaminating the rain water,do not collect the first rain to let the rain clean the roof and gutters. Rain water is naturally acidic pH of less than 7 to 5, but at least it is not as acidic as coca cola. Prolonged drinking of acidic rain water (pH of 5 may wear the teeth's enamel, this will take a long time to occur. Rain can of course carry chemical contaminants but usually in very low concentration to be concerned of, not unless you live in Chernobyl, Ukraine.

My advice, save your money and get rain water tanks instead.

Inday Susan