Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Easy Water Purification

Paul

Solar Water Purification

April 2009

This month's newsletter is short and sweet but it may save your life in an emergency situation. After a storm or a flood or some other natural disaster, you may not have access to clean water. Many developing countries need to use this simple solar water purification "technology" every day because currently over 1 billion people do not have access to clean, purified water. Drinking contaminated water leads to illnesses like diarrhoea, cholera, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, amoebic and bacillary dysentery and other diarrhoeal diseases. Each year 4 billion cases of diarrhoea cause 2.2 million deaths, mostly among children under the age of five. This is equivalent to one child dying every 15 seconds, or 20 jumbo jets crashing every day. These deaths represent approximately 15% of all child deaths under the age of five in developing countries.

gallery_1_99_32468.jpg

So... what is this new solar water purification "technology"?

It is basically setting bottled water out in the sun on a black hot tin roof for a couple of hours. That's it! The combination of the sun's ultra violet rays and heat kills any pathogenic germs - the ones that spread much illness in developing countries. Just about anybody can do this. Please help spread the word to all those who may be in need of this information.

easy44

How simple and useful (if it really works!). sounds likely to me.

Paul

In urgent situations, like Typhoons, earthquakes, or other disasters, I feel it will be a good thing to remember.

Chaz
Solar Water Purification

April 2009

This month's newsletter is short and sweet but it may save your life in an emergency situation. After a storm or a flood or some other natural disaster, you may not have access to clean water. Many developing countries need to use this simple solar water purification "technology" every day because currently over 1 billion people do not have access to clean, purified water. Drinking contaminated water leads to illnesses like diarrhoea, cholera, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, amoebic and bacillary dysentery and other diarrhoeal diseases. Each year 4 billion cases of diarrhoea cause 2.2 million deaths, mostly among children under the age of five. This is equivalent to one child dying every 15 seconds, or 20 jumbo jets crashing every day. These deaths represent approximately 15% of all child deaths under the age of five in developing countries.

gallery_1_99_32468.jpg

So... what is this new solar water purification "technology"?

It is basically setting bottled water out in the sun on a black hot tin roof for a couple of hours. That's it! The combination of the sun's ultra violet rays and heat kills any pathogenic germs - the ones that spread much illness in developing countries. Just about anybody can do this. Please help spread the word to all those who may be in need of this information.

When I worked in Angola we recieved raw water in in a tanker weekly with all sorts of nasties in it, we treated it ourselves

with a good filter to take out the solids, then passed it through the an electric powered ultraviolet unit to kill the pathogens.

I guess the suns ultraviolet here are powerfull enough over 2 hours to do the work of the electric ultraviolet unit, but I'm a bit dubious if the larger solids arn't filtered out first, but maybe even running it through a fine cloth might do that?

Regards Chaz

Sonny

I would approach this 'solution' with some trepidation. even boiling the water for the required 2 minutes still does not kill ALL bacterium present in tainted water. The heat generated by the sun would be so minimal as to be inconsequential, and as far as ultraviolet is concerned, 2 hours of sun without a concentrater would hardly be enough (in my humble opinion). I'll wait until someone posts some scientific data on here before risking a bad case of the supershitz.

kc8ual

I have a solar water desalinizer lying in my pile of things right now... Need to get a piece of glass for it though. It was designed to purify 20 liters a day in full sunlight. Sighs.... I never get time to finish projects :)

Sonny
I have a solar water desalinizer lying in my pile of things right now... Need to get a piece of glass for it though. It was designed to purify 20 liters a day in full sunlight. Sighs.... I never get time to finish projects :)

Does it work through evaporation/distillation? Where would one buy such a device and what might the purchase price be? How large is it and is it portable? Please excuse all the nosey questions, but this sounds like what I have been looking for. Sometimes this summer I will travel, camp, and fish on Padre Island (The very long barrier island off the coast of Texas) for a month or so, and some areas are very remote with NO water! My first solution was beer, but I don't think I can haul that much beer nor catch many fish while that drunk. :D

LasVEgasRon

Somewhere I was reading about putting plastic bottles out in the heat and the plastic giving off disoxin? (spelling?) It seems that the chemicals given off by the plastic bottles can cause cancer. You should check into it before you try to purify water only to make the water more dangerous.

just my .02

Alan S

Although some plastics may give off dioxin, it will only be a minute amount over the times that are being discussed.

It MIGHT be sensible not to use the same plastic bottles continuously, but that would depend upon the type of plastic.

More likely, they will suffer from UV degradation and spring leaks.

That alone will give them a limited life.

USMC-Retired

seems like alot of work. Bleach in water can purify the water. Just have to add the right amount of bleach to a gallon. It can be dangerous yet it is effective.

Tatoosh

I am guessing that if I'm dying for water after a major disaster, the chance of cancer is probably not high on my list of no no's. Since people in such circumstances are often reduced to drinking salt water or their own urine, the chance of a bit of dioxin due to plastic deterioration may not deter the thirsty. But how effective the suggested manner of producing drinkable water is worth checking out. If it does work, it is definitely worth knowing.

misty
seems like alot of work. Bleach in water can purify the water. Just have to add the right amount of bleach to a gallon. It can be dangerous yet it is effective.

They usually drop chlorine to purify water. Last year after Typhoon Frank, it was hard to get hold of chlorine coz of the high demand. I managed to buy some bags of chlorine at Rose Pharmacy and after we got our deep well siphoned out, prior to sealing it again, the guys drop some chlorine to disinfect our water source. Since there was a shortage of drinking water, we decided to buy a water purifier at Ace Hardware. We got similar to this one:

1196123_megafresh.jpg

It's over a year now since we got it and for the price we paid for it, it has paid itself off vs buying 5 gallon drinking water. I've previously noticed that some bottles are not even cleaned out properly and you'll see residue floating. Having a water purifier you at least know your water source rather than not knowing where the water from the 5 gallon water came from.

I was actually amazed the first time we used it. lol Our water since it just flooded was a bit murky and after it got filtered, it was crystal clear. Didn't get the shits or bad stomach.... :P

misty

Just want to add that after having our own water purifier, it also cut down on our electricity bill since we stopped using our hot and cold water dispenser. :P

Paul

Do you remember how much that cost?

misty
Do you remember how much that cost?

It depends on the capacity. My FIL just got one recently and it's 2,899.95 for 15l. I've recently seen a cheaper one at Ace Hardware for the price of 750 pesos. We got the Megafresh one coz they got spare parts available at Ace Hardware just in case... :lol:

I think we got ours during one of Ace Hardware "sale" for a 30% discount! B)