Bama

American forgives Filipina girlfriend after five-million peso fake kidnap plot

Bama

https://philippineslifestyle.com/fake-kidnap-husband-forgives/

American forgives Filipina girlfriend after five-million peso fake kidnap plot

The head of the police’s anti-kidnapping unit has described how a woman tried to trick her American boyfriend with a fake kidnap scam.

Colonel Jonnel Estomo, Anti-Kidnapping Group-Philippine National Police head, also detailed how the woman had already taken the 41-year-old for nearly 15 million pesos before the five million kidnap scam.

Col. Estomo bared all about the unnamed couple’s relationship after his agents were sent to “rescue” the woman from a budget hotel in Dagupan City on Saturday (August 10).

When they arrived, operatives stormed the room and found the 40-year-old Filipina safe, and alone. Despite the clear indication of fraud — and the woman’s past behaviour — the American boyfriend has opted not to press charges.

“It all started when her American boyfriend went to the Philippines in May this year and discovered that their savings in the bank was already emptied,” said Col. Estomo said.

The two met in Kuwait four years ago. Then, when the Filipina returned home, the American began sending her money. Some of this was intended to cover her daily expenses, but the bulk was intended to cover the purchase of a house.

Altogether, the American sent a total of about 15 million pesos, or some $300,000.

When he returned to the Philippines in May, he estimated that their bank account should be in credit to the tune of five million pesos. However, it contained just 300.

Despite this, he said he would forgive and forget, before inviting his girlfriend to come with him to the US.

According to Col. Estomo, she refused and “went missing after burning their house in Caba, La Union”.

No more was heard of her until Saturday, when the police received information that she had been kidnapped by two armed men, who were demanding five million pesos for her freedom.

Anti-kidnapping group spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Elmer Cereno said it was the American’s daughter from a previous relationship who received the demand.

After the family demanded “proof of life” from the supposed kidnappers, the woman sent a photo that somehow gave away her exact location.

After storming the room in expectation of meeting armed kidnappers, they found the woman alone and in possession of several bank withdrawal slips. Under questioning, she admitted that her kidnap was a hoax.

After contacting the husband with their findings, he opted not to press charges. According to Col. Estomo, they have already got back together.

He added that although fake kidnap scams were not uncommon, it was unusual for an intended victim to be so forgiving. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

to_dave007

I can understand not wishing to press charges.  But if the man sends another peso..  the fool is beyond redemption.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

smokey

Box of rocks

• Thanks 2

shadow
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I can understand not wishing to press charges.  But if the man sends another peso..  the fool is beyond redemption.

He is going to one up you on that, he is going to "invite her to come with him to the US". A brain child he is not.

• Like 4

CardiacKid

There is always someone who is so socially challenged that he will pay anything for the illusion of a loving wife and a happy home. Looks like two stars collided in this case.:sad_01:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ozepete

Despite this, he said he would forgive and forget, before inviting his girlfriend to come with him to the US.

This guy gives 'stupid' a whole new meaning !

• Like 5

lamoe
3 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

This guy gives 'stupid' a whole new meaning !

I believe if pics of each were available it might go a long way to explain why. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SkyMan

There's probably a PHD dissertation available for someone who wants to study these guys, and no, he's far from alone.  Guys that have led reasonable normal lives, done ok in business or whatever, paid their bills and kept watch (perhaps a tight watch) over their finances and then come here or other foreign country and just walk gleefully into a buzzsaw with absolutely no conscious effect.

• Like 5

shadow
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

There's probably a PHD dissertation available for someone who wants to study these guys, and no, he's far from alone.  Guys that have led reasonable normal lives, done ok in business or whatever, paid their bills and kept watch (perhaps a tight watch) over their finances and then come here or other foreign country and just walk gleefully into a buzzsaw with absolutely no conscious effect.

Yup. We had a case earlier this year that involved a mid 60s guy from the US, who came here in 2011 and married his dream girl, then proceeded to send her $500+ per week for imaginary cancer treatment. It took 7 years before someone finally convinced him that he was being taken for a ride and he contacted us. There were SOOO many blatant red flags, but he chose to ignore them because she was the love of his life. Now, he is broke and crying the blues, and she is very mad at him because he stopped sending her money.

• Sad 2

Cebuandrew

Just takes a bit of common sense, and research. 5 1/2 years ago, I decided to give the Phils a try. Wasn't sure I'd stay, but maybe a year to see. Spent weeks at nights reading forums...like this one...blogs from foreigners living here. So easy to google all the scams here. Within my first month in Luzon, I had a chance run-in with a gorgeous gal. 26 years younger than me and smoking hot. We started a relationship and I felt like I was in heaven. She spoke good English, seemed a bit intelligent, and I fell head over heals. She spent 4 nights with me, did her day job, and I was absolutely giddy--felt like a young man again.

Day 5, she comes over with a close friend, tears running down her face, and visibly shaking. Her mother, who lived in a far away province had a medical emergency and hospital needed p10k right away to begin work on curing mom's ills. Sigh. My heart sank. Simple prior research and I read about this common scam. I said "I can do even better. Go pack your bags, I'll pack mine, and we'll leave in an hour to travel to that hospital, where I'll make sure your mom gets the best care." Yup, I never saw her again.

But, it was a good eye-opener to me on how fast and easy it is to fall in love here. And I think there are a lot of foreigners out there thinking about moving here, who read this forum and other forums here. To them, I say read everything here you can, trust what members here are saying about this stuff. It happens. And remember, if you meet a gal online, and it seems "to good to be true"...well....

• Like 5