wondersailor

Social Security payout date change for new expats

wondersailor

This will only be a concern to new expats who are on social security when moving to the Philippines and when you notify them of your move. Evidently your monthly payout date will change. Mine went from the forth week of the month to the first of the month. Also, according to my bank, it arrives as an international direct deposit even if it is going to a US bank. I have not been able to find anything on these 2 points anywhere online. I have not checked with the embassy as to why the change as I feel that as long as I  getting my deposit each month I'm fine with it. Just don't be surprised if it happens to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

battleborn

My payment date changed when I moved here 6 years ago.  No big deal.

• Like 1

Paddy

Large batch systems run according to very definitive schedules - even in this day and age, processing millions of transactions takes time. When a payment method is changed, it’s reasonable to expect the schedule to change also. You changed from domestic to international payment. The transactions no doubt get cleared via a different banking route.

I have no idea of the numbers involved, but would assume that international payments are a small fraction of domestic ones and thus (probably) wait until all the domestic processing is done.

My Canadian government pensions are paid according to a similar schedule (4th week) - but they are still domestic payments. 

My UK government pensions are paid according to my birthday. Also domestic but reflective of a different large scale processing strategy. 

Lordblacknail

has anyone been able to keep the 1st or 3rd payment date once they have moved back to the US? On the phone they told me it was an option I could choose.

Lordblacknail

has anyone been able to keep the 1st or 3rd payment date once they have moved back to the US? On the phone they told me it was an option I could choose.

SkyMan
51 minutes ago, Lordblacknail said:

Probably not that many members who have moved back reading the forum very intently so you may not get many answers or very quickly. 

Jawny

The SSA has several blogs covering a wide variety of topics.  There is a blog regarding expats.  Queries can be posted and will be responded to. 

As well, there is an office within the USA embassy where queries can be made and will get responses.