Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Foreign ID for Foreign CC for Pinay?

SkyMan

Anyone else run into this?  I noticed my wife using her US Military Dependent ID at the store and I told her I'd prefer her not carrying that around because it's hard to replace and she'd be better off using her easily recognized DL anyway.  She told me that when she used her DL at some store before they'd told her that for a US CC she needed to have a US ID.  I always US my DL and have never had a problem but maybe they figure a Filipina probably stole the CC from someone?

Headshot

My wife has a US credit card (that she uses from time to time), and she has never been asked for any ID other than her Philippine ID's. Look at your own experience. Has anybody ever asked for your foreign ID when you used a foreign credit card? I know I have never been asked. They have asked for Philippine ID, however.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

My wife has a US credit card (that she uses from time to time), and she has never been asked for any ID other than her Philippine ID's. Look at your own experience. Has anybody ever asked for your foreign ID when you used a foreign credit card? I know I have never been asked. They have asked for Philippine ID, however.

Well, a foreigner with a foreign CC makes sense.  The logic might be that a Filipino might be more likely to fake a foreign bank's CC.  Idk

Headshot
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Well, a foreigner with a foreign CC makes sense.  The logic might be that a Filipino might be more likely to fake a foreign bank's CC.  Idk

But like I said, my wife has never been asked for a foreign ID when she has used her foreign credit card. Have your wife use the same pat answer mine uses... these are the only ID's I have (meaning her Philippine ID's).

Edited by Headshot

Paddy

There is no logic to the request for US ID for use with a US CC. 

The (approved, government issued) ID to be used needs to match the name on the CC is all. In fact, with chip technology all that should be required is successful use of the PIN.

My partner has never been in Canada but has a Canadian issued CC with her name on it. She has used it with her voter ID - which appears to be a very badly printed piece of paper!!!

Jawny

I had a related experience recently, which suggests to me it that these sort of simple demands are more the result of a clerk not wanting to break some sort of rule. I opened a PayMaya account.  The first account is limited in usefulness but does allow for some simple online transactions.  A form of credit card which can be used for online purchases.

To be clear, PayMaya is simply a way to deposit money into an account and use that as if it were a credit card  

in order to allow for larger amount of "credit" the PayMaya rules require more details such as a confirmation of a name by use of an ID and a video contact with them.   

It was the video contact which revealed this "follow the rules" mentality.  I answered the basic questions of the call center person, but since I had used a foreign passport, not an ACR, I was asked for my home address.  I got the distinct impression the process was coming to a halt until I made it clear, I did not have a foreign (non Philippines) address.  I have been living here for many years.  Clearly this threw the clerk off so I was put on hold.  When he came back, he concluded the approval process.  

In effect, they had created a script for the staff to use which matched the most likely situation.  Foreigners are only here for now, but have homes elsewhere.  

At a check out counter at a shopping mall, this isn’t useful knowledge if the clerks are always going to demand some sort of ID that is unavailable.  I only use a Filipino credit card here.  . 

Salty Dog

My wife didn't have a credit card when we lived in the Philippines.

In 5 years I was never once asked to show my ID when using my US credit card. I used it for just about every purchase a credit card was accepted...