Bama

British ex-pat needs assistance.............

Bama

Daughter’s appeal to bring brain damaged father home from Philippines

https://philippineslifestyle.com/brain-damaged-father-appeal

Collin-Marriot-FB-e1564660143389.thumb.jpg.7fa10313a98eee0488799b33529f59c0.jpg

A British woman has launched a fundraising appeal to bring her brain damaged and destitute father home from the Philippines.

Martine Marriott says 60-year-old Colin is currently being looked after by police staff in Iloilo City as he has no money or means of support.

She said he moved to the Philippines after suffering a stroke in 2009, which left him unable to fend for himself. 

Speaking to the i newspaper, she said: “He has the mind of a child and nobody to look after him in the Philippines. If I don’t get him home soon he could die all alone.”

She said she had been worried for her father ever since she first discovered he had moved to the Philippines. “He’d been talking about going over to the Philippines to ‘find a new wife’. He was convinced that no woman in the UK would want him now he had brain damage, so thought going abroad was the answer.

Martine reported him missing and contacted the police, British Embassy and the British Consulate appealing for help.

Eventually, Colin was tracked down in Manila and was persuaded to telephone his daughter. Although he said he was fine, he admitted to not having access to vital medication.

“I don’t know which doctor deemed him fit to fly but he wasn’t of sound mind so he should never been allowed to get on a plane,” Martine said. “I begged him to come home — to try and find a way to get back, but it just wouldn’t register.”

After this brief contact, several years passed with no further communication. 

However, last week, she received a Facebook message from an employee at a police station in Iloilo City called Sheila Kim Iglesias, with a photograph of her father.

Martine has now launched a fund-raising campaign to help fund her rescue mission to the Philippines.

“The air fare there and back is £3,000 for the two of us alone and there is no way I can find that kind of money,” she said.

“I am desperate to get him home so I can give him the care he needs and make sure he has his medication. He looked emaciated in his photos and I worry that he will die soon if he doesn’t come back.”

A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “Our staff are in contact with the authorities in the Philippines regarding a British man in Iloilo, and are also in contact with his family in the UK.”

To donate to Martine’s fundraiser, click here.

• Haha 1

JohnSurrey

I thought £3,000 was a lot so I followed the links and then discovered that she's actually trying to raise £6,000 on gofundme or something...

Then I did flight check on SkySkanner - cheapest fare is 43,523 php - So approx £1,368 for 2 flying out of Manchester to Manilla and back - confused.

Better she indicates what she needs the other £4,732 for I think

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Why would she need to buy him a round trip ticket????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond

One would think that if he had no money, that his visa was not current and the Philippine government could deport him. It's not like the Bureau of immigration couldn't find him.

• Like 2

Salty Dog
On 8/6/2019 at 7:29 AM, Bama said:

...he moved to the Philippines after suffering a stroke in 2009, which left him unable to fend for himself...

I was wondering how he supported and took care of himself for the past 10 years in the Philippines...

Caveat emptor...

• Like 3

Aerosick
On 8/6/2019 at 4:29 AM, Bama said:

Martine has now launched a fund-raising campaign to help fund her rescue mission to the Philippines.

Wouldn't be the 1st daughter to disappear with the donations!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

NRG

This all sounds a bit odd to say the least.

As others have already mentioned why so much money for one round trip and one ticket back to the UK. 

How has he fended for himself in the last 10 years ?, where has that money been coming from.

How has been able to keep his tourist visa's up to date, including having to leave the country every two years and buy another exit ticket on his way back in. 

And if the daughter really cared for her father that much, she would find the money from somewhere, i.e other family members, friends or even a small bank loan. 

So many holes in this story, that it would sink faster than a block of lead. 

• Like 2

NRG

I have just read the following on the donation page "The organizer has currently disabled new donations to this fundraiser."

So someone, somewhere has realised that this story does not add up correctly either. 

• Like 1

NRG

And the more you read in to it the weirder it gets.

He says he does not want to go back the UK. He apparently has a social worker here in the Philippines and they are stating that they are trying to put him in to a nursing home, I have never heard of a nursing home here in the Philippines. Elderly are looked after by their own family here. And why would the Philippine government be willing to pay for the care of a 60 year old British National. It would be cheaper to pay for his flight back to the UK. All very strange.

• Like 2

Aerosick
9 minutes ago, NRG said:

I have never heard of a nursing home here in the Philippines.

There are a few scattered in Cebu. Depends on the amount of need he needs. The ones we found are very expensive!

• Like 1

to_dave007

If daughter can't afford to even visit him here..  she won't be much use trying to support him back in UK.

Maybe he came here to get the hell away from family back there.

• Like 4

TimL

I read about this the other day and from what I saw, she is needing money for two round trip tickets (her and her BF) and a ticket home for the father. While I def. feel for the guy, I’m getting rather sour on all of these go fund me pages popping up looking for others to foot their freaking expenses. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

NRG
1 hour ago, TimL said:

she is needing money for two round trip tickets (her and her BF)

And it gets even more bizarre, so they want to have a vacation whilst here too, why else bring the boyfriend. 

1 hour ago, TimL said:

I’m getting rather sour on all of these go fund me pages popping up looking for others to foot their freaking expenses. 

Totally agree with you on this point. 

• Like 1

Jawny

Some of these posts seem more like speculation than facts.  Even the funding page may have been stopped by the requester if they found some other source to complete the task (go fetch the father).  I can also understand why a single woman might want to have a traveling companion to come so far to a place she is not familiar.  

Hope posters will make it clear if they are guessing or have a reliable source.

• Confused 1

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jawny said:

Some of these posts seem more like speculation than facts.  Even the funding page may have been stopped by the requester if they found some other source to complete the task (go fetch the father).  I can also understand why a single woman might want to have a traveling companion to come so far to a place she is not familiar.  

Hope posters will make it clear if they are guessing or have a reliable source.

I'm guessing that most " reliable sources" are a result oh hearsay . Or conjecture. Or fabrication . And that goes for what the daughter says. 

You say your name is jawny and post a photo that assumedley is you. Am I guessing? I dont have a reliable source to back up anything that you post

Of course I am just using your info as an example . You probably are jawny!

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Haha 1