scoander

A Yearly Contract?

scoander

We're renting one half of a duplex in a subdivision in Cebu City.  Later this month it will be a year since we moved in.  Now the landlord is after us to "re-sign" for another year.  I'd always assumed that the duration clause of the agreement would only cover the first year.  Then, after that, we could move any time as long as we've given adequate notice. I'm not there right now, and my wife can't seem to find the rental agreement.  I've looked at rental law in the Philippines but couldn't find anything about this.  Is this legal?    

Dafey

We negotiated a continued stay with our landlord that allowed us to stay and pay month to month. We did however guaranty 3 months notice before we moved. This seemed to appeal to the landlord as we were good renters yet allowed him plenty of notice if he needed to refill the house.

• Like 1

lamoe

Same - negotiate a rent reduction, HOA  fees  and parking space inclusion with initial contract signing after 3 month trial period and no increase this year even though posted rates for rentals has increased

• Like 1

Gus

Now the landlord is after us to "re-sign" for another year.  I'd always assumed that the duration clause of the agreement would only cover the first year.  Then, after that, we could move any time as long as we've given adequate notice.

Why would you assume that ?
If you signed a 12 month lease ?
Why haven't you discussed already with the landlord your ongoing plans .
They would " assume" ,that after 12 months you are either
1. Moving out ..or
2. Renewing your lease .
( Up to you to renegotiate the conditions if you can )

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

wondersailor

Nothing can be assumed in the Philippines. If you decide to sign another yearly lease make sure it is your favor and put in the contract. Your landlord is looking after his interest and so should you. Tit for tat.

• Like 1

TimL

Without reading the agreement, who knows. Mine says that at the end of the term it would renew on a month to month basis with a 30 days notice on either side of intent to move/vacate. I would never assume anything here, or anywhere actually where a contract is concerned. 

Davaoeno
On 8/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, scoander said:

Then, after that, we could move any time as long as we've given adequate notice. 

You were given a years notice. That seems to be adequate to me