Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

rrider
On 8/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, RR3 said:

Helmet checkpoints in Moalboal since Monday. For 1st time they even check the roads down from mountains which is bad news for 'bukid' folks, not one helmet seen ever. Bantayan, Moalboal - all Cebu?

On the other hand I have not seen one checkpoint though in town every day...only blue blinking lights driving around 

Are they still helmet checkpoints there? I'll be in Moalboal January 2021.

shadow
3 hours ago, rrider said:

Are they still helmet checkpoints there? I'll be in Moalboal January 2021.

There was as of the last week of September. We encountered one just south of Moalboal two days apart (Going and coming).

Checkpoints EVERYWHERE on the Negros side now. It's impossible to get into a smoke testing facility or LTO in Dumaguete now, lining up at 3 am is not necessarily soon enough to get a slot for that day.

It's a mess.

lamoe
2 hours ago, shadow said:

It's a mess.

Just another way of saying enforcing the laws :rose:

Using Helmet and catching non-registration?.

Another law being enforced recently on Colon & Osmena at major intersections - J walking -  got nailed today near stoplight in front of 138 mall.

The one were motors and taxis cut through the people crossing on Metro side - safer to cross in middle of block.

Two natives were crossing first , I followed them, enforcer was going to give the ticket (P50) to me only.. I said not fair to give to me only -  she looked apologetically at the other 2 and all 3 of us got the ticket - bystanders actually nodded heads in agreement.

Had to cross back over - Metro to 138 - crossed at light and almost got hit by motor - did a modified Rizo impression  - he was so close that end of front wheel was in front of me before he stopped.

• Like 1

Bama

What the heck---if El Presidente doesn't follow the rules-----why should anyone else?

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/10/18/1961213/duterte-slightly-hurt-big-bike-spill#yCmvIHUWH7mFgOFK.99

MANILA, Philippines – President Duterte suffered slight injuries in a fall from a motorcycle at the Presidential Security Group compound at Malacañang Wednesday night, Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go said yesterday.

But the 74-year-old Duterte, a fan of big bikes, was recovering well in his official residence at the Bahay Pagbabago, according to the senator and close aide.

A previous accident left him with permanent nerve damage in his neck and frequent migraines, among numerous other ailments.

Screen grab from a video clip provided by Sen. Bong Go shows President Duterte riding a 650cc big bike at the compound of the Presidential Security Group within the Malacañang complex the other night.

cycle.jpg.2d77b33b713605af4325dbbc279044b1.jpg

• Like 2

RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, Bama said:

What the heck---if El Presidente doesn't follow the rules-----why should anyone else?

Who is going to give him a ticket, and is a helmet required inside the compound?

• Haha 1

RedRanger

Davao City if they try to give you a ticket, you just apologize, tell them you are new to the country, and praise the Philippines and the citizens and then ask for forgiveness while slipping 200 peso to the crocodile

Bama
28 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Davao City if they try to give you a ticket, you just apologize, tell them you are new to the country, and praise the Philippines and the citizens and then ask for forgiveness while slipping 200 peso to the crocodile

Wouldn't it just be easier to wear a helmet and follow the traffic laws ?

• Like 1

lamoe
4 minutes ago, Bama said:

Having had to wear a helmet in 110F / 44C x 90% humidity for hours on end I can sympathize with the anti-helmet people

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RedRanger
25 minutes ago, Bama said:

Truthfully I have never studied the traffic laws in the Philippines, I am just a tourist

Jack Rat
10 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Truthfully I have never studied the traffic laws in the Philippines, I am just a tourist

Don't worry you are not on your own,  most Filipino's don't know them either.:idontknow:

• Haha 4

lamoe
13 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

Don't worry you are not on your own,  most Filipino's don't know them either.:idontknow:

They know them - just don't follow them

Counter flowing on  Escario and using left hand turn lane  to push ahead   - w/o enforcer 6 abreast    - w = 0 for either

to_dave007

My good Canadian friend (82) wants to get his Pinoy caretaker (63) licensed so that worker can drive (2 wheels and 4) for him without issue.

Quoted 8000 peso in Toledo for license without need to pass the test. I offered to help him get his license in Danao the normal way..  and we went there..  and the costs were ~700 peso for drug test and medical and 167 peso for application fee.. and nothing more.  I kid you not..  the application fee was so low..  for senior citizens..  

Then he entered the LTO test room..  and I waited.. and waited and waited..  As younger applicants went in.. wrote it.. and came out..  dozens of them.  Anyway.. after 2+ hours..  he failed the test.. got 20 out of 40 right..  needed 30..  so..  we couldn't get license that day.  But LTO confirmed that we could come back after 1 month and try again for just the 167 peso application fee.  Drug test/medical would not  need to be repeated.

So I printed out the LTO training materials for him to read..  and I located online sample tests..  and we planned to meet at my place about 10 days ago for the sample test online.

It was cancelled..  He decided he'd rather pay the 8000 peso.  Learning enough to get 10 more answers correct was too much work.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Bama

A few of my wife's siblings dropped out of school the first nanosecond that they could.

In there 50's now, one of them wanted to get his DL awhile back.We paid the fees and a cousin who worked at the local LTO provided the answers to the tests. BIL still failed the test---twice. On his third attempt he was told just to act like he was taking the test------turn it in blank and it would be fixed----and so it was.He later admitted that if the answer for question #7 was D for example that he didn't know how to mark the correct box on the answer sheet.

Just as well I suppose. A few weeks later-----in a drunken rage-----he totaled the bike and has been walking every since.

• Like 1