Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

RedRanger

If they would crack down on all the illegal drivers and especially those who drive crap like "Tricycles" then maybe you wouldn't need a helmet.

I am used to driving in Philippines without a helmet, that was how it has always been, it hard and sometimes hot to wear one now of days for me.  I personally think it is a stupid law.

lamoe
10 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I am used to driving in Philippines without a helmet, that was how it has always been, it hard and sometimes hot to wear one now of days for me.  I personally think it is a stupid law.

Some people like driving drunk and think DUI laws are stupid - especially in Wisconsin

The joke is you're not a real Wisconsin driver until you've had 2 DUI's - 15 is the record there

• Like 1

Barryrio

I am also a former police officer. I too have seen the carnage caused by not wearing seat belts and helmets.  I have been riding 51 years now with one serious accident. Had I not had a helmet I would not be writing this now. Freedom and personal choice is all fine and dandy till the free spirit is lying in A&E either expecting the National Health Service to fund his/her treatment when things go south (in the UK) or start pleading for funds on social media if unable to meet the often astronomical cost of treatment in a country such as this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

RedRanger
12 hours ago, lamoe said:

Some people like driving drunk and think DUI laws are stupid - especially in Wisconsin

The joke is you're not a real Wisconsin driver until you've had 2 DUI's - 15 is the record there

I was allowed to drink and drive for about 10 years in Texas, never saw any issues. We can still operate a watercraft and drive, but can't drive a car while drinking.

As usual it the few that mess it up for everyone, plus having MADD based in Dallas didn't help 

RedRanger
On 10/4/2019 at 6:34 PM, hyaku said:

LTO are adopting new methods here by hiding around corners. They are using the one way streets in town to trap people.

The island Facebook group plasters photos of people lying on the road with brains spattered all over the road on a weekly basis. But "still" they drive with no helmets and babies on the gas tank. One driver I hire from Ormoc comes up here and looks around in utter disbelief at the lack of helmets and safe driving. Four lanes everywhere now and still they cant count to four. Most drive down the middle!

I have been told in some parts especially Davao City they can write you ticket for wearing sandals (Open toe shoe) and or shorts on a motorbike.

shadow
20 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I have been told in some parts especially Davao City they can write you ticket for wearing sandals (Open toe shoe) and or shorts on a motorbike.

Wearing open toed sandals or slippers is not legal, but there is no national law against wearing shorts that I am aware of.

• Like 1

Jawny
18 minutes ago, shadow said:

there is no national law against wearing shorts that I am aware of.

If there was ever a law that needed to be written, it would be one for this.  It should apply only to those over 55 years, Anglo.  As well, open toed leather sandals with buckles.  

RedRanger
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Wearing open toed sandals or slippers is not legal, but there is no national law against wearing shorts that I am aware of.

I have yet to get a ticket or a warning wearing sandals in Davao City area.  I guess they don't enforce that one much.  They seem to go after non helmets for sure in the area.

Jack Rat
19 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I have yet to get a ticket or a warning wearing sandals in Davao City area.  I guess they don't enforce that one much.  They seem to go after non helmets for sure in the area.

I don't think sandals are a problem, its the socks that seem to go with them that could be debatable.

RedRanger
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I don't think sandals are a problem, its the socks that seem to go with them that could be debatable.

Thankfully I am not that old or unkept, I don't wear sock with sandals. With the possible of exception when on a long flight from USA to PI and the plane gets cold.  

Edited by RedRanger
  • Haha 1

hyaku

They gave me hefty fine for not having an EWD (Early warning device) You get even get a ticket for a dirty windscreen on a vehicle. Best to avoid these people if possible. One thing I did learn was they cant take your licence but you have to show it. If they did that technically you can no longer operate the vehicle. I always carry a copy to give them. You just have to show up at LTO within a given time

hyaku
11 hours ago, RedRanger said:

If I remember the law states wearing a helmet and sensible footwear. Really the whole thing is a clusterfvck. I clipped the front tire of a guy doing a UTurn on a double yellow line. No helmet and slippers. His wife was side saddle and understandably fell off the bike. And they still tried to pin reckless driving on ME.

They make it up! Last month I was broadsided in the back wing by someone rolling down the ramp out of Robinson. Driving a car with slippers on and lost control. So I called PNP . Unbelievably they wanted to charge us both with reckless driving.

• Haha 1

GBT62

I agree - each to his own. But it also clogs up the ambulances, Emergency rooms, ER Doctors, hospital beds etc trying to save head injury victims and then rehabilitate them if they survive, A huge waste of resources that might save others instead.

If you survive, it very well may be that you also have no choice in what they feed you down a nasal tube for the rest of your life or who wipes your ass if you are a quadraplegic or brain damaged. Enjoy.

As for helmets being hot and sweaty - these cheap head scarves/caps have been around for years and cost less than $10. I use one all the time on my bicycles and scooter - it stops the sweat running down your forehead and into your eyes. I don't ride here without one on. I also have a small microfiber cloth or two in my carrier bag under the handlebar. Wipe your face on the hotter days while sitting for 2 minutes waiting for the lights to change.

image.png.b09e810d321587d0a32dcec435e06af8.png 

• Like 6

smokey

I agree i know a guy who riding a harley in oregon at 80mph hit something and woke uo 4 months later missing 2 legs and one arm .... He did brag once that his bill was over a million dollars.  Side note his gf left him and ran off with the drive off guy at the full service car wash

hyaku
On 10/6/2019 at 8:35 AM, Barryrio said:

I am also a former police officer. I too have seen the carnage caused by not wearing seat belts and helmets.  I have been riding 51 years now with one serious accident. Had I not had a helmet I would not be writing this now. Freedom and personal choice is all fine and dandy till the free spirit is lying in A&E either expecting the National Health Service to fund his/her treatment when things go south (in the UK) or start pleading for funds on social media if unable to meet the often astronomical cost of treatment in a country such as this. 

Lol, the days of me being a rocker doing "a ton" on the motorway are long gone. I grew up! Riding my Honda Magna and an overtaking car pulled in to clip my front wheel and take me off. If I was not wearing bikers clothing and a helmet my brains would have been all over the road. I would have thought that in this country with the terrible driving and no tests it was even more important to cover up. So many come here because they like being irresponsible. They think wearing a wife beater and tats on a bike will protect them. 

• Like 3