Jump to content
Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

Recommended Posts

shadow
5 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Well firstly sorry about you son,,
October onwards is Magpie season if I remember correctly,,
I personally cannot understand people who advocate no helmet. Yes, yes, I know nanny state syndrome but the jury is IN... Helmets saves life's,, FACT, And no I don't need a government to tell me to wear one. It's common "bl**dy sense.
Hot, Cold, Heavy, all the excuses under the sun. It's the same as the no seat belt jokers,, IF one has seen drivers that have had their chest caved in (like I have) on the steering wheel (prior to Airbags) then I think those people would change their tune.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
 

Helmets can cause accidents too, it's pretty hard to see when your eyes are full of sweat, which mine are whenever I sit at a stop for 3 minutes or more in the sun with a helmet on. In that case scenario, I am a danger to those around me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
6 minutes ago, shadow said:

Helmets can cause accidents too, it's pretty hard to see when your eyes are full of sweat, which mine are whenever I sit at a stop for 3 minutes or more in the sun with a helmet on. In that case scenario, I am a danger to those around me.

Look, I take your point and don't dispute your scenario, In fact I was working outside the other day sweating profusely and my glasses were totally  saturated and unusable till I dried them off,,,, But really,, not wearing a Helmet is difficult for me not to do.. And that s why I stopped using Habel2. I'd worn a Helmet since 16 years old and could not convince myself it was a good idea. "just me"..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
25 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Look, I take your point and don't dispute your scenario, In fact I was working outside the other day sweating profusely and my glasses were totally  saturated and unusable till I dried them off,,,, But really,, not wearing a Helmet is difficult for me not to do.. And that s why I stopped using Habel2. I'd worn a Helmet since 16 years old and could not convince myself it was a good idea. "just me"..... 

I'm the opposite. I have been riding for 50 years, started racing very young. Much of my life has revolved around motorcycles. They have been my main source of transportation for most of my life, half a million miles or more, I have ridden in rain, snow, ice, and hurricane force winds. I have been in many accidents, some with a helmet on, some not. The only time I have ever hit my head is when I had a 2 pound helmet on it. Without the helmet, I probably would not have hit my head. A few years ago, I bought a helmet with the intention of starting to wear one, it had been about 20 years since I had one on. Within 2 miles, a bee got in my helmet at about 60 KPH, stung me many times, I ran off the road, but got it stopped and was unhurt. A few days later at an intersection, a traffic officer was very upset with me because I did not move. My eyes were full of sweat, I could not see his hand signals to me. I had to take my helmet off, in the middle of the intersection, to wipe the sweat out of my eyes before I could proceed. 

Up until now, the helmet laws have not been enforced in this area, but now they are being enforced, and checkpoints are everywhere. I came here because I liked the feeling of freedom, it is long gone. Now it is a police state.

Within the last few weeks I have decided to sell my 1100 V-Twin. My best source of recreation here, what I loved to do most. I have already stopped driving autos, now I am going to end my biggest enjoyments in life, motorcycle riding. If it were possible for me to go back to the police state from whence I came, I would, but that is not an option.

About the biggest source of enjoyment for me here now is music, when will they put a stop to that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Within the last few weeks I have decided to sell my 1100 V-Twin

Sorry to hear that, It's funny,well,,, The very rare time I left my helmet off is a 1 minute trip to the shop. (UK mid sixties) and "something" happened and I lost the front wheel on a bend 50 meters from home.. (slide off)... Anyway I'd love a bike again but the ratio of accidents/incidents rises dramatically after 65,(and bones take longer to heal,, and not here in Cebu. My only one regret is not riding a Harley. But no one is going to let me have a go now.... (Plus the Mrs would have something to say, haha... Anyway we slightly differ in opinions but that's life.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

I personally cannot understand people who advocate no helmet. Yes, yes, I know nanny state syndrome but the jury is IN... Helmets saves life's,, FACT, And no I don't need a government to tell me to wear one. It's common "bl**dy sense.
Hot, Cold, Heavy, all the excuses under the sun. It's the same as the no seat belt jokers,, IF one has seen drivers that have had their chest caved in (like I have) on the steering wheel (prior to Airbags) then I think those people would change their tune.

I was an Air Force safety officer for eight years, which meant it was my responsibility to investigate all serious accidents our people got into. Quite a few were fatalities. I was a believer in seat belts and helmets before that, but those experiences really drove home the value of seat belts and helmets. People wearing seat belts or helmets survived major accidents at a much higher rate than those who "valued their freedom" and went without. I investigated several accidents where people were killed, but likely would have survived with seat belts or helmets. There are accidents where you won't survive regardless of what you are or aren't wearing, but there are also many that are survivable with proper protection.

As far as common sense goes, I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing. Common sense is supposed to be something that is acquired by everybody through common experiences, but the reality is that we don't have many experiences in common with everybody else. There will always be those who have successfully escaped death without taking any safety precautions, and it is impossible to argue with them that their luck will run out ... because they have no experience that tells them you are right.

This I know. If you tempt fate enough times by not wearing proper protection, you will end up getting a Darwin Award ... because you have basically voluntarily removed yourself from the gene pool. OK. You likely won't get a Darwin Award ... but you should.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Headshot said:

all serious accidents our people got into

I was a government vehicle inspector in Darwin for 8 years. Apart from doing annual inspections we would be seconded to the coroner's office in the event of a fatal accident that had occurred in a motor vehicle. 

I would have to examine a vehicle at the police compound , write a report trying to determine if a mechanical fault/failure was the cause of the accident. (difficult  at best) 

I can't tell you how many windscreens I've seen with skull impacts (both driver and passenger) due to not wearing  seat belts. With the blood and guts to go with it. 

 

 

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, T.S. said:

Can't people be allowed to make a personal choice of how safe they want their own head to be on a motorcycle?

Helmets are not required for 18+ year old adults in my home US state, even on 70+ MPH/112+ KPH highways. People can choose to wear a helmet if they want, but it's not a government enforced requirement.

Sure they can -  personnel choice - no problem except when their  choices impact me (in states)  with higher insurance / medical  rates or here when one of them  commits suicide by counterflowing and I get charged cause he wasn't wearing one.

Many can site "I never wear a helmet  - never a problem" -  "I drink and drive all the time"  - never wear protective gloves / glasses / shoes when working, wear seat belts, turn on headlights at night, obey traffic laws BUT have an accident and we all pay.

Kid's a cop - had to help pick up the brains of a non-helmet wearer - family devastated - he didn't gas about them why should I? His choice

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

I passed an accident in Consolacion by Fooda (on one of those rare occasions when traffic was flowing ... at least until the accident occurred. A motorcycle (rider only) pulled out in front of a bus that was traveling at speed (but under the speed limit at the time). The bike was thrown about a hundred feet, and the rider's body was closer to the bus. Between the bike and the body was the rider's brain, just laying there on the road whole. It looked like it had been surgically removed. I'm not saying the rider positively would have survived the accident if he had worn a helmet. Nobody knows that for sure ... because he wasn't wearing one when the bus hit him. Without a helmet, he certainly had no chance of survival.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanm
2 hours ago, shadow said:

I'm the opposite. I have been riding for 50 years, started racing very young. Much of my life has revolved around motorcycles. They have been my main source of transportation for most of my life, half a million miles or more, I have ridden in rain, snow, ice, and hurricane force winds. I have been in many accidents, some with a helmet on, some not. The only time I have ever hit my head is when I had a 2 pound helmet on it. Without the helmet, I probably would not have hit my head. A few years ago, I bought a helmet with the intention of starting to wear one, it had been about 20 years since I had one on. Within 2 miles, a bee got in my helmet at about 60 KPH, stung me many times, I ran off the road, but got it stopped and was unhurt. A few days later at an intersection, a traffic officer was very upset with me because I did not move. My eyes were full of sweat, I could not see his hand signals to me. I had to take my helmet off, in the middle of the intersection, to wipe the sweat out of my eyes before I could proceed. 

Up until now, the helmet laws have not been enforced in this area, but now they are being enforced, and checkpoints are everywhere. I came here because I liked the feeling of freedom, it is long gone. Now it is a police state.

Within the last few weeks I have decided to sell my 1100 V-Twin. My best source of recreation here, what I loved to do most. I have already stopped driving autos, now I am going to end my biggest enjoyments in life, motorcycle riding. If it were possible for me to go back to the police state from whence I came, I would, but that is not an option.

About the biggest source of enjoyment for me here now is music, when will they put a stop to that?

 

This sounds rough.

I don't know the details of your situation, obviously, but, if it is possible, I would just move to another town (in your province or even a different province) that is not enforcing the law, there are many!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trthebees

Down in the province I had 2 friends who i chatted to a lot, far more than any others as it's not easy to find friends of a like mind who enjoy simple conversation about all sorts of topics without axes to grind.

One, an American swerved to avoid an old lady who stepped into the road. Fractured skull, coma for a week, then dead. No helmet. The other, the local Filipino postmaster went over to Dumaguete with his wife, someone tried to snatch his wife's bag, he came off, hit head, dead. He was wearing what was not much more than a toy helmet which wasn't strapped properly.

To add to that, a carpenter who was actually working on our house during the day came off late at night, dead. Sure, it was reported he'd had a drink, but a helmet could well have saved him.

Maybe there would have been fast medical treatment for the chap in Dumaguete, but down in the province it's the town's van, no paramedics, and with sirens going about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to the city.

Sure, I've ridden bikes, and passed a proper Western bike test. But no way would I ride without a damn good helmet. In fact, I'm not the least interested in riding a motorbike in the Philippines. I've got a pushbike for local needs, and that'll do me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47

Returning home from SM Consolacion (in taxi) this afternoon I must have seen 8 hable2 riders (some with passengers, some not) with their helmet/s hung from the handlebars.

I don't get it, I'm lost for words.....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyaku
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

The checkpoints seem to be working here, the number of riders wearing helmets has increased dramatically.

LTO are adopting new methods here by hiding around corners. They are using the one way streets in town to trap people.

The island Facebook group plasters photos of people lying on the road with brains spattered all over the road on a weekly basis. But "still" they drive with no helmets and babies on the gas tank. One driver I hire from Ormoc comes up here and looks around in utter disbelief at the lack of helmets and safe driving. Four lanes everywhere now and still they cant count to four. Most drive down the middle!

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
7 minutes ago, hyaku said:

LTO are adopting new methods here by hiding around corners. They are using the one way streets in town to trap people. 

What they should do is have two units

One for check point the other go down past waiters and come up behind to make them go though check point

Maybe a third unit - to catch those trying to flee or making U turn - more fines that way

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyaku
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, shadow said:

Helmets can cause accidents too, it's pretty hard to see when your eyes are full of sweat, which mine are whenever I sit at a stop for 3 minutes or more in the sun with a helmet on. In that case scenario, I am a danger to those around me.

Riding bikes most of my life. On the track when I was younger. Its easy just to stick a thin towel in the helmet. I think over the years what would stand out in my mind would be not just the helmet but a visor. Riding 1000's of miles/klms I have been hit in the face by some very big bugs that would for sure distracted me even more had they not just bounced off the visor.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..