Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

SkyMan
On 8/6/2019 at 8:53 PM, SkyMan said:

My bike won't ride up over a dog.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, Dafey said:

You might be surprised! The rule of thumb in off roading is if the obstacle is halfway the height of your tire or less, (the hub is halfway), you can go over it.

I've recently done some testing on this and romping on the throttle or the brake does little as far as fork length so the bike angle of attack doesn't change much.  At over 300Kg it just goes along.

• Like 1

Soupeod
29 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I've recently done some testing on this and romping on the throttle or the brake does little as far as fork length so the bike angle of attack doesn't change much.  At over 300Kg it just goes along.

You need some motocross exp! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dafey
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

At over 300Kg it just goes along

What bike do you have? That's heavy!

• Like 1

Salty Dog
15 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Maybe he's half of that 300Kg...:biggrin_01:

• Haha 2

shadow
33 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Yes it is, my 1100 is only 225 kg.

• Like 1

SkyMan
38 minutes ago, Dafey said:

image.png.bd34ca1e72e9712a9380c7ca9dc8d384.png

23 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Maybe he's half of that 300Kg...:biggrin_01:

I add another 75kg and the wife 50 or so.

• Like 2

Dafey

Dude! You're worried about hitting a dog with that? Hell, that could ride over the top of most carabao!

• Haha 3

Cebuandrew

As an update, helmet enforcement on our island consisted of an early afternoon, 2-hour checkpoint in both Santa Fe and Bantayan (not sure about Madridejos), on August 1st. It had an impact, as around 30% of drivers are still wearing them, as opposed to the 5% before. Still, last week, I saw a government  employee drive and then park his bike in front of the police station--no helmet. And today, I was walking through the plaza in Bantayan proper, and saw a pulisman drive by without a helmet. Lol...and a few tricycle drivers I know here told me that a few days before our checkpoint, word on when and where it would be was leaked to the "coconut telegraph" so all the locals knew. It has been a sigh of relief to me that this island still retains most of its charm.

• Like 2

Liam
On 8/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, RedRanger said:

Helmet laws are stupid in my opinion, Too darn hot to wear them in Philippines.  

I have motorcycled over many places in Philippines, Seem as if the rules are hit and miss on when and where they enforce or require a helmet.  

I know back in 2011 when I first got my motorbike, I was told to make sure to use helmet in Davao City, but surrounding places like Digos City you didn't have to wear them.  Now the last couple years they have cracked down on helmet laws in Digos City as well.

I miss not having to wear a helmet

I agree that this is not convenient on a motorcycle, but it is necessary for safety. I will not give statistics on how many accidents happen on a motorcycle. In this case, you can choose a helmet that will be well ventilated and you will be comfortable in it :)

As for bicycles, helmets there are certainly easier and better ventilated, but the material is mainly polystyrene.

T.S.
2 hours ago, Liam said:

I agree that this is not convenient on a motorcycle, but it is necessary for safety. I will not give statistics on how many accidents happen on a motorcycle. In this case, you can choose a helmet that will be well ventilated and you will be comfortable in it :)

Can't people be allowed to make a personal choice of how safe they want their own head to be on a motorcycle?

Helmets are not required for 18+ year old adults in my home US state, even on 70+ MPH/112+ KPH highways. People can choose to wear a helmet if they want, but it's not a government enforced requirement.

• Like 1

hyaku
Posted (edited)

The choice here for Filipino is simple. You ride with no helmet and no licence. When you see an LTO check point, you stop 100 meters before it and wait for them to go away.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

trthebees
On 8/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, cookie47 said:

TRUE, In Australia A big killer of inexperienced 18 to 25 year olds is to swerve to miss an animal particularly out in the country where cattle properties are often poorly fenced or no fence at all. 

And it isn't just wandering roos and the like. A couple of weeks ago my son was doing a spot of training on his bike (as in pedal) and going out got a scratched face from a magpie.

An hour later he was coming back and the infernal thing must have been lying in wait cos it got him good and proper this time. Had him off his bike with a bust collarbone and ribs and bad cuts, ambulance job it was.Good job Queensland laws say helmets to be worn on pushbikes too!

• Like 3

T.S.
19 minutes ago, hyaku said:

The choice here for Filipino is simple. You ride with no helmet and no licence. When you see an LTO check point, you stop 100 meters before it and wait for them to go away.

True...

spacer.png

• Like 2

RogerDuMond

The checkpoints seem to be working here, the number of riders wearing helmets has increased dramatically.

• Like 1

cookie47
And it isn't just wandering roos and the like. A couple of weeks ago my son was doing a spot of training on his bike (as in pedal) and going out got a scratched face from a magpie.
An hour later he was coming back and the infernal thing must have been lying in wait cos it got him good and proper this time. Had him off his bike with a bust collarbone and ribs and bad cuts, ambulance job it was.Good job Queensland laws say helmets to be worn on pushbikes too!
Well firstly sorry about you son,,
October onwards is Magpie season if I remember correctly,,
I personally cannot understand people who advocate no helmet. Yes, yes, I know nanny state syndrome but the jury is IN... Helmets saves life's,, FACT, And no I don't need a government to tell me to wear one. It's common "bl**dy sense.
Hot, Cold, Heavy, all the excuses under the sun. It's the same as the no seat belt jokers,, IF one has seen drivers that have had their chest caved in (like I have) on the steering wheel (prior to Airbags) then I think those people would change their tune.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 5