Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

NRG

Hi Noodle, 

Yes indeed we did get the helmet replaced before she started riding again on the bike. Not only because she had an accident using it, but the visor was very scratched and hard to see out off too. 

Thanks for asking. 

• Like 1

HongKongPhooey
23 hours ago, Woolf said:

He said some municipalities have passed their own ordinances allowing the use of modified helmets.

Does this mean that they are permitted to downgrade the helmet type required?  I’m serious with this question because when in country last month, I was astounded by the obvious construction boom taking place, with everyone including Lola walking around with their hard hats in hand. Was told it was the new helmet law.  Thought that can’t be legit, but maybe I thought wrong? 

NRG
10 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

Does this mean that they are permitted to downgrade the helmet type required?  I’m serious with this question because when in country last month, I was astounded by the obvious construction boom taking place, with everyone including Lola walking around with their hard hats in hand. Was told it was the new helmet law.  Thought that can’t be legit, but maybe I thought wrong? 

From what happened in my area, at first you had to have a helmet that had a BPS sticker (Have no idea what BPS stands for) stuck on the side, then as time went by as long as it was a hard hat, including those found on construction sites, it seemed these were OK too. You can get away with it, but they are not widely used here, as people did go and buy a new helmet with the BPS Sticker when they started to enforce that law here. 

Woolf
3 hours ago, NRG said:

From what happened in my area, at first you had to have a helmet that had a BPS sticker (Have no idea what BPS stands for) stuck on the side, then as time went by as long as it was a hard hat, including those found on construction sites, it seemed these were OK too. You can get away with it, but they are not widely used here, as people did go and buy a new helmet with the BPS Sticker when they started to enforce that law here. 

Helmet must have a ICC or a BPS sticker

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2010/ra_10054_2010.html

Section 5. Provision of Motorcycle Helmets. - A new motorcycle helmet which bears the Philippine Standard (PS) mark or Import Commodity Clearance (ICC) of the Bureau of Product Standards (BPS) and complies with the standards set by the BPS shall be made available by every seller and/or dealer every time a new motorcycle unit is purchased and which the purchaser may buy at bis option. Failure to comply with the requirements provided under this section shall constitute a violation of this Act.

• Thanks 1

noddle
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

Helmet must have a ICC or a BPS sticker

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2010/ra_10054_2010.html

So if I bought a helmet from Australia to the Philippines,  then it would fail, since it would not have those stickers ( even though it probably would surpass the quality of the local helmets, Aus Standards - AS 1698-1988; or AS/NZS 1698:2006; or ECE 22.05 )

SkyMan
55 minutes ago, noddle said:

So if I bought a helmet from Australia to the Philippines,  then it would fail, since it would not have those stickers ( even though it probably would surpass the quality of the local helmets, Aus Standards - AS 1698-1988; or AS/NZS 1698:2006; or ECE 22.05 )

Maybe you can find a cheap product with the sticker on it?  Used to be electrical tape had them.  Just sayin...

GBT62

They are trying to stamp out the cheap fake crap helmets from China (with the fake DOT etc stickers) - you might as well wear a KFC Bucket on your head instead...

image.thumb.png.2ad6cdb4c8c8df9a32c7249ab24e6446.png

cookie47
On 8/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, Dafey said:

This goes for in a car also. Don't kill yourself to avoid an animal.

TRUE, In Australia A big killer of inexperienced 18 to 25 year olds is to swerve to miss an animal particularly out in the country where cattle properties are often poorly fenced or no fence at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RedRanger
4 hours ago, noddle said:

I am sure they will let it pass there, We use some US made helmets and never had an issue in Davao.

RedRanger
On 8/4/2019 at 8:48 AM, SkyMan said:

The wife mentioned there are fb reports of check points in CC looking for riders wearing slippers. too.

From what I have seen these are hit and miss.  I have had a motorbike in the Davao City area since 2011.  And I visit about 2 times per year.  My relative moved to Davao last year and told me they were enforcing helmet laws and also you were not allowed to wear shorts and sandals were illegal.

A few trips ago I tried to wear pants and shoes and it was too darn hot, I went back to shorts and sandals and so far no tickets, in Davao City.

If these silly rules continue to get enforced I will relocate to other parts where they don't enforce rules like this. 

SkyMan
On 8/4/2019 at 5:19 PM, Dafey said:

1st, I would not intentionally try to hit a dog but...if you have no choice and it's you or him if you speed up it moves some weight from the front tire to the rear which will give you a better chance of riding up and over rather than if you break the weight is on the front tire making it more likely you will flip end over end.

I brake a little, rear brake only but not hard. I don't swerve but do try to get more upright if possible.  My bike won't ride up over a dog.  Through one maybe, but not over.

• Like 2

Cebuandrew
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I brake a little, rear brake only but not hard. I don't swerve but do try to get more upright if possible.  My bike won't ride up over a dog.  Through one maybe, but not over.

This has been very helpful to me. I rode dirt bikes a few times in my teens, but no bike since. Dafey's comment you quote made so much sense that I'm now realizing I only use my front brake. Today, trying to train myself to using the rear brake. Flipping end over end on an ATV can't end up well, especially without a helmet, which I choose not to wear. My take is if I'm going fast and happen upon a dog in the road, it is a split-second decision, and I don't think my mind can speed up in that situation. Although Dafey's logic makes sense, I don't think my mind can process that logic so fast. Not split-second that is. But, if I can begin using my rear brake, then my chances are much better. Not brake hard, but slow down a bit, using rear brake only.

Btw...August 1st they did a 2-hour checkpoint in Santa Fe at the busiest intersection here. I heard of other checkpoints that day on the island. Since, nothing. It made a huge impact here. Today, I drove around a few hours and saw 70% drivers now using some form of helmet. A few cracked me up as they were (I assume) cheap Chinese plastic construction helmets.

• Like 1

GBT62
Posted (edited)

yeah getting a little off-topic but ...... talking about front-only-braking and flipping, like I said and showed earlier in this thread - the KTM that hit my car was rear- wheel-in-the-air from panic braking, and did a front wheel pivot of 180 degrees when struck from behind.....

Now that some bikes have ABS ..... does that work only like in a car - to rapidly modulate braking to stop locks ups and skids .... or does bike ABS also look for front wheel locks causing a forward flip (any angle sensors) ? 

Edited by GBT62

Dafey
22 hours ago, cookie47 said:

TRUE, In Australia A big killer of inexperienced 18 to 25 year olds is to swerve to miss an animal particularly out in the country where cattle properties are often poorly fenced or no fence at all. 

Well...I might definitely swerve to miss a cow!

So when dogs are involved it doesn't make a lot of difference if you front brake or back brake.Any braking will drive the front end down and put your weight forward. If your weight is toward the back you stand a better chance of riding up over a dog, log or any obstacle.

19 hours ago, SkyMan said:

My bike won't ride up over a dog.

You might be surprised! The rule of thumb in off roading is if the obstacle is halfway the height of your tire or less, (the hub is halfway), you can go over it. With a dog it will most likely be knocked down on the initial blow and it's center will be very low when the bike gets to that point.

In Florida I was going way to fast around a corner, with a passenger and surprised an 8 foot gator and myself. Instinct was to hit the gas. We were slightly airborne but we hit the road straight up and down and put some distance between us and those jaws.

17 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

Flipping end over end on an ATV can't end up well

ATVs are a blast but that is a biggie. 

• Like 1

Cebuandrew

No ICC or BPS sticker. The irony is, the only time I did consider wearing helmet here, was after my business partner got hit on the head by a falling coconut, while wearing one. Lots of coconut trees here. But, this coconut helmet looks like it would protect against falling helmets from the sky.

Helmet.jpg

• Haha 6