Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

RogerDuMond
7 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Same in Tuburan and Tabuelan both. Started August 1.  Checking for helmet, shoes and max of 3 persons on a motor.  And they are issuing fines.

They have been enforcing it for a couple of months now in Balamban and Asturias with checkpoints, and you don't drive away. No helmet, no license, or no registration, and you are pushing the bike.

NRG

Here in Dalaguete they enforced the helmet law about two years ago. It took sometime getting used to having to wear a helmet, especially for just going to the market. But overtime everyone got used to wearing one and now 95% of the riding population here in Dalaguete and including the mountain areas wear a helmet at all times. 

And it is a good thing too, as 5 weeks ago my wife came off her bike when avoiding a dog on the road, she came off and cut her arms and legs quite badly, in fact the leg wound is still very much healing, but it was the deep scratches along her helmet and visor which made you think, thankfully she was wearing her helmet at the time and that would have been very bad if she had not. And the point I am trying to make is that the accident happened right outside our house. 

So you should wear your helmet whether you have the enforcement of the law in your area or not. 

The towns either side of Dalaguete do not enforce it at the moment, so once you leave Dalaguete, you see people carrying their helmets through their arm on the bike, which makes no sense whatsoever, unless of course your Filipino. 

And of course I agree it makes no sense that the rider has to wear a helmet but the passengers do not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
2 hours ago, NRG said:

So you should wear your helmet whether you have the enforcement of the law in your area or not. 

In the US I rarely wore a helmet on my cruiser and regularly hit speeds over 70 MPH on Super Highways. Here in the Philippines I wouldn't be caught without a helmet! Even at lower speeds I feel it is much more dangerous here mostly because of the other idiots people on the road. 

2 hours ago, NRG said:

5 weeks ago my wife came off her bike when avoiding a dog on the road, she came off and cut her arms and legs quite badly, in fact the leg wound

I am glad that your wife did not have more serious injury...she was lucky.

Over the many years I've been riding I've had multiple encounters with dogs, (here and in the US). I've found it is safer for me to hit the dog, speed up if possible, and keep control of my bike. This goes for in a car also. Don't kill yourself to avoid an animal.

• Like 4

Cebuandrew
36 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I've found it is safer for me to hit the dog, speed up if possible, and keep control of my bike.

One day, I was at a fruit stand next to a hwy, chomping some watermelon and saw just that. Dog on hwy, not paying attention, and motorbike seemed to speed up at last moment and hit the dog right in center of body. Dog yelped and limped off to a field, and motorbike just kept on going. I did wonder why he sped up. Still don't know the logic there. There are a lot of dogs here that just fall asleep in the middle of the road. They're still alive, cuz people here will aim for it, and they jump up and run as the motor sounds get near. I do the same thing and never have hit one. A foreigner here got an electric scooter, which makes no noise, which I think is very dangerous.

• Like 1

Dafey
21 minutes ago, Cebuandrew said:

I did wonder why he sped up. Still don't know the logic there.

1st, I would not intentionally try to hit a dog but...if you have no choice and it's you or him if you speed up it moves some weight from the front tire to the rear which will give you a better chance of riding up and over rather than if you break the weight is on the front tire making it more likely you will flip end over end.

• Like 4

RedRanger

Helmet laws are stupid in my opinion, Too darn hot to wear them in Philippines.  

I have motorcycled over many places in Philippines, Seem as if the rules are hit and miss on when and where they enforce or require a helmet.  

I know back in 2011 when I first got my motorbike, I was told to make sure to use helmet in Davao City, but surrounding places like Digos City you didn't have to wear them.  Now the last couple years they have cracked down on helmet laws in Digos City as well.

I miss not having to wear a helmet

RedRanger
On 8/3/2019 at 2:39 AM, Cebuandrew said:

August 1st, for first time ever, they started cracking down on helmet laws on Bantayan Island. Checkpoints here and there, with a p1,000 fine. Wild to see 50% of drivers now wearing helmets, as opposed to the 1% before. What is crazy stupid, is only drivers need a helmet, and not the 1-4 passengers on the bike. I imagine they do not make helmets for babies, which is common on bikes here. Anyone else in a Cebu province and this happened there on the 1st?

I see them giving the passenger or passengers getting tickets for non helmets in the area I am familiar with.  I also watch motorbikes whom don't have helmet to just turn around at the check points and go another route to avoid a ticket.  

GBT62

Anyone here riding any 2 wheeled device on city or provincial roads without at least a helmet - needs to be made to watch the many local crash videos and pictorial results - or visit the morgue.

My AU Ex was an ER Nurse for years - and regularly came home from a work shift, couldn't sleep - and needed to unload on someone (naturally that was me) the details of the latest motorcycle road accident victim that the ambulances brought in to try to save. Many with helmets did not make it - at times the helmet and skull could not be separated such was the damage to the helmet. Lesser cases - the helmet had been the only reason the rider had survived.

Here - too many see the helmet as an annoyance - I fully support any police pressure to enforce the helmet law.

Today I saw first hand what a helmet can do. Below is my dash cam footage as I cruised along Bacalso - 11am on a quiet Sunday.

A taxi, as they love to do, illegally did a wide, late U Turn in front of me and the oncoming traffic - cutting off me and proceeding to go all the way across blocking each lane in turn.

image.thumb.png.2c03f61ad40207edb78af09e76e51f92.png

The rear camera shot shows the 2 motor cycles following me at that instant. If you look closely in the lower right you can just see the Orange rear wheel of the KTM - and see that it is actually off the road surface - the rider has slammed on his front brake once he noticed the taxi about to block his path. His rear wheel has lifted off the road - and about half a second later the motor scooter in the picture has swerved and hit the KTM while it was on one wheel - pivoting it 180 degrees - and slamming the KTM and rider into my rear door. The rider then landed - facing the wrong way - on the road surface - narrowly missed by the following Jeepney.

Given the loud thud on my door - and damage to door and KTM, I am in no doubt the rider was saved any significant injury by his helmet alone. I am also in no doubt, had the rider had no helmet - and inevitably been badly injured or worse - I would have been held responsible under the archaic current  road laws about the biggest vehicle being at fault.

As it was, there was only relatively minor damage to vehicles in this case - but without a helmet I am sure the rider would have been in hospital or worse - and  I'd have spent the rest of today in the Police office until a settlement/resolution was reached....

Naturally - the Taxi left the scene. The video was not needed to track him down in this case - but without a helmet - it would have been the only evidence to allow the Police to go find the cause of it all .....

• Thanks 1

lamoe
3 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Helmet laws are stupid in my opinion, Too darn hot to wear them in Philippines.  

I have motorcycled over many places in Philippines, Seem as if the rules are hit and miss on when and where they enforce or require a helmet.  

I know back in 2011 when I first got my motorbike, I was told to make sure to use helmet in Davao City, but surrounding places like Digos City you didn't have to wear them.  Now the last couple years they have cracked down on helmet laws in Digos City as well.

I miss not having to wear a helmet

I would agree - except here -  if a motor driver dies  - it's our fault not his

Might want to talk to Busey.

• Like 1

Woolf

SunStar 

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1817249/Cebu/Local-News/Checkpoints-net-at-least-512-violators

Checkpoints net at least 512 violators

August 4, 2019

AT LEAST 500 motorists were apprehended in the month of July as the Cebu Police Provincial Office (CPPO) intensified its implementation of Republic Act (RA) 10054, or the Motorcycle Helmet Act of 2009, in all towns in Cebu.

CPPO Director Roderick Mariano issued on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2019, a memorandum directing all chiefs of police to conduct a checkpoint and apprehend violators of the law.

Mariano said this is part of their strict implementation of the “Discipline Zone” campaign, which was already launched in some municipalities last Aug. 1.

Under the Discipline Zone program, curfew hours from 10 p.m until 5 a.m will strictly be implemented, including the parking of vehicles on designated areas, mandating motorcycle riders to wear standard protective helmets and disallowing the sale of cigarettes and liquors to minors, among others.

He also said the memorandum is meant to remind motorists of their obligation to abide by the law and the police of their task to strictly implement it through the conduct of checkpoints.

“From July 1 to 31, 2019, we have apprehended 512 motorists in the province who are violators of this law. Now, we are intensifying our campaign against violators because maybe the police also forgot their task,” he said.

RA 10054 states that all motorcycle riders, including drivers and back riders, “shall at all times wear standard protective motorcycle helmets while driving, whether long or short drives, in any type of road and highway.”

Mariano, however, said he is aware that some municipalities are lax in implementing the law. He said some municipalities have passed their own ordinances allowing the use of modified helmets.

Standard protective motorcycle helmets are those that comply with the specifications issued by the Department of Trade and Industry.

Those caught violating the law will be fined P1,500 to P10,000. Repeat offenders will also have their license and motorcycle confiscated. (WBS)

• Like 1

SkyMan

The wife mentioned there are fb reports of check points in CC looking for riders wearing slippers. too.

Cebuandrew
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The wife mentioned there are fb reports of check points in CC looking for riders wearing slippers. too.

Oh my. Roger said if no license, helmet or registration and bikes being pushed away. I read that and thought I'm hitting the trifecta of wrong everyday. But slippers is all I ever wear. 

1 hour ago, Woolf said:

memorandum directing all chiefs of police to conduct a checkpoint and apprehend violators of the law.

Makes sense. They conducted a checkpoint on August 1st. None since. So, the police here complied with this memorandum.

1 hour ago, Woolf said:

and disallowing the sale of cigarettes and liquors to minors, among others.

This is crossing the line. How does dad and his friends keep doing tagay and having fun, when they run out of red horse and cigs?? Of course the kids go get them. I've seen 5 year olds buying tanduay at sari saris.

• Like 1

baby43

What annoys me even in Cebu city it self sure people have helmets om most i see you they not buckle up so if they fell of their bikes or get into an a accident there no protection , you have to go far out of Cebu City and on one wear helmets, I thought is this law  all of The Philippines or just in the main cities like Cebu city and Manila.

Woolf
8 minutes ago, baby43 said:

What annoys me even in Cebu city it self sure people have helmets om most i see you they not buckle up so if they fell of their bikes or get into an a accident there no protection , you have to go far out of Cebu City and on one wear helmets, I thought is this law  all of The Philippines or just in the main cities like Cebu city and Manila.

the law is for all of philippines

but 

not enforced many places

• Like 1

noddle
23 hours ago, NRG said:

Here in Dalaguete they enforced the helmet law about two years ago. It took sometime getting used to having to wear a helmet, especially for just going to the market. But overtime everyone got used to wearing one and now 95% of the riding population here in Dalaguete and including the mountain areas wear a helmet at all times. 

And it is a good thing too, as 5 weeks ago my wife came off her bike when avoiding a dog on the road, she came off and cut her arms and legs quite badly, in fact the leg wound is still very much healing, but it was the deep scratches along her helmet and visor which made you think, thankfully she was wearing her helmet at the time and that would have been very bad if she had not. And the point I am trying to make is that the accident happened right outside our house. 

The towns either side of Dalaguete do not enforce it at the moment, so once you leave Dalaguete, you see people carrying their helmets through their arm on the bike, which makes no sense whatsoever, unless of course your Filipino. 

And of course I agree it makes no sense that the rider has to wear a helmet but the passengers do not. 

Have you replace the helmet yet ? ,

I read somewhere that they should be replaced after a accident,   "but it was the deep scratches along her helmet and visor"

and for me  a Helmet is a must, here in Oz  I always used a helmet ( age 11 to now ),  just like having the headlight on always..

• Like 1