Cebuandrew

Helmet laws in the provinces

Cebuandrew

August 1st, for first time ever, they started cracking down on helmet laws on Bantayan Island. Checkpoints here and there, with a p1,000 fine. Wild to see 50% of drivers now wearing helmets, as opposed to the 1% before. What is crazy stupid, is only drivers need a helmet, and not the 1-4 passengers on the bike. I imagine they do not make helmets for babies, which is common on bikes here. Anyone else in a Cebu province and this happened there on the 1st?

I went to the police station and talked with 3 cops, saying I just ordered a helmet from Lazada (only helmets sold in Santa Fe look like WWII military helmets), and was told I'd get a pass for a few weeks. The cops did not seem happy to have to hit the poor locals here with large fines. They told me if I built a roof on my ATV, then no helmet is required. I found a photo of what that'd look like, but how is this safer???

TB2wYF9lXXXXXapXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2217874061.jpg

• Like 1

Semper paratus

If anything like Dumaguete and the area the law will be somewhat enforced for about 2 weeks like most laws, then all is forgotten.

• Like 3

lamoe
2 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

They told me if I built a roof on my ATV, then no helmet is required. I found a photo of what that'd look like, but how is this safer???

TB2wYF9lXXXXXapXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2217874061.jpg

It's the thought that counts. That's not sarcastic.

Sealover

I get a fine 1500 pesos to ride without a helmet, next time double and 5 times they impound bike and take driving license, the worst part of it was waiting 3 hours in LTO, to pay the fine and get my driving license back. Common sense tell me use a helmet, but sometimes common sense is out of stock

Woolf
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

They told me if I built a roof on my ATV, then no helmet is required. I found a photo of what that'd look like, but how is this safer???

You have a registered 4 wheel ATV  ??

4 Wheel ATVs can not legally be registered in Philippines, not allowed on public roads

3 wheels can be registered as a tricycle, no helmet needed on tricycles

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Semper paratus
Posted (edited)

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wrong-place-motorcyclist-fined-being-140000088.html

Wrong place! Motorcyclist fined after being caught wearing RICE POT as a helmet

Newsflare•8 July 2019

This is the bizarre moment a motorcyclist was stopped by police after using a metal rice pot as a motorcycle helmet.

The man, who has not been identified, was pulled over by traffic officers in the Tuguegarao City area of Cagayan province, the Philippines, on July 8.

They ordered him to remove the makeshift aluminum helmet and explain why he was wearing it.

''I couldn't find a helmet today,'' he told the policeman.

''I just wanted to be safe on the road.''

The rider and his pillion passenger were hit with traffic violation tickets and was asked to pay a fee of 200 pesos (4 dollars) for disobeying the "No Helmet, No Travel" policy of the Tuguegarao City.

Well at least it wasn't a piss pot. :D

Edited by Semper paratus
  • Like 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

Well at least it wasn't a piss pot. :D

At least he has pot  to   piss in

Have watched a few traffic carckdown vids from Manila - they fine for any  non-conforming helmet

Edited by lamoe

Cebuandrew
3 hours ago, Woolf said:

You have a registered 4 wheel ATV  ??

4 Wheel ATVs can not legally be registered in Philippines, not allowed on public roads

3 wheels can be registered as a tricycle, no helmet needed on tricycles

Yes, that's true...not sure the point you are making. That's what small island life is like here. Drive safely, respect the locals and you could drive a lawnmower down the hwy drunk. Years ago, I went to Camotes and wanted to take my old ATV there. Can't drive it on Cebu Island. So, loaded it up in back of my multicab, drove to Danao port, and once in Camotes, it was accepted on their roads, just like here. It was once questioned by 3 traffic enforcement officers in Bantayan proper one time. All I had to say, was "how many motorbikes here are registered?" After they were done laughing, I drove away. There are also some islands here where ATV rentals are available...not registered. This is my trip to Camotes from the Santa Fe Pier.

DSC01007.JPG

• Like 4

RR3

Helmet checkpoints in Moalboal since Monday. For 1st time they even check the roads down from mountains which is bad news for 'bukid' folks, not one helmet seen ever. Bantayan, Moalboal - all Cebu?

On the other hand I have not seen one checkpoint though in town every day...only blue blinking lights driving around 

• Like 1

to_dave007
13 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

August 1st, for first time ever, they started cracking down on helmet laws on Bantayan Island. 

1 hour ago, RR3 said:

Helmet checkpoints in Moalboal since Monday. 

Same in Tuburan and Tabuelan both. Started August 1.  Checking for helmet, shoes and max of 3 persons on a motor.  And they are issuing fines.

• Like 1

liquido

To me wearing helmets there now took away some of the charm there.I have seen many times there people just wearing a swimsuit there bopping around Santa Fe..One of the few places with a beach town feel..I remember months back a native guy got busted for smoking by Stumble Inn bar but i heard that did not last long.I hope the above poster Semper Paratus  is right what he said...I wonder if Siargao is enforcing also??

smokey
Posted (edited)

One of the construction guys here went to hardware store here his BACKRIDER had no helmet they took his lic. My guess is if they do that to locals they do it to foreigners. ... Get legal or get out.

WE ALWAYS COMPLAIN WHY DONT THEY ENFORCE THE LAW HERE AND NOW THEY ARE SO NOW WE COMPLAIN WHY ARE THEY ENFORCING THIS BULL SHIT LAW ..  

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

Also..  10+ motorcycles in line this week at local smoke test shop..  Much more then usual.  Seems the number of people getting bikes registered is way up.  My guess is the LTO offices will be busy also with licenses, SP, and registrations.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

cogon88
14 hours ago, lamoe said:

At least he has pot  to   piss in

Have watched a few traffic carckdown vids from Manila - they fine for any  non-conforming helmet

If you have facebook this kid videos the enforcement of the MMDA in manila just search for Gadgetaddict on facebook has some interesting videos

https://www.facebook.com/ytgadgetaddict/

Cebuandrew
5 hours ago, liquido said:

To me wearing helmets there now took away some of the charm there.I have seen many times there people just wearing a swimsuit there bopping around Santa Fe..One of the few places with a beach town feel..I remember months back a native guy got busted for smoking by Stumble Inn bar but i heard that did not last long.I hope the above poster Semper Paratus  is right what he said...I wonder if Siargao is enforcing also??

No, that smoking thing did not last long. And it is against the law here for a girl to wear a bikini in town (okay on beaches), but that is never enforced. Lol...a few were wearing bikinis last night at Liquido Bar. There is a lot of small island charm here. Hell, last Wednesday, I was standing outside the police station with 3 cops, smoking a cig and asking why I needed to wear a helmet on my unregistered ATV. Just reminds me of a simpler time here, when not so many rules and regulations were being crammed down the throats of people. Camotes and Siquijor were like that years ago, not sure if they still are.