3D Printing - Anyone else tried it?

Actually I just ordered a cheap Alfawise U30 on Gearbest to dabble in this - was only $179 so if I make a mess of it all - no big loss :)

Mostly because in the last 12 months - half of what I have bought for my drone and Ebike and Osmo Pocket camera and now Escooter, have all been 3D printed pieces. I might as well have a go at it myself and design ones that fit better - or get off Thingiverse.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeedleNuts

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just today my niece headed a cardiac nursing unit that supported the first human implant of a particular 3d printed heart valve.  As of tonight results are uncertain as some arterial pressures are not

Almost any shape thing made of plastic, with a few limits.    The plastic things that are made in a FFF type printer come from plastic that its melted, extruded through a small nozzle, and

A little over a month ago I finally picked up my first 3D printer. Now instead of buying cheap plastic crap from China I can use my Chinese printer to consume a spool of Chinese plastic and make my ow

Posted Images

DeedleNuts

I'm looking at a second printer myself, maybe a Tevo Little Monster or an ANyCubic Kossel Linear. The latter can be had for around $200 and looks like it's actually a decent printer. The former is a beast, big and fast. 

• 3 weeks later...
DeedleNuts

Not a fan of 'Prusa' style printers but this looks maybe OK:

Edited by DeedleNuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DeedleNuts

Gal knows her audience. Still, she's popular and in China, so she often gets early release samples of a lot of cool products. Needs to work on her R and L a bit though.

DeedleNuts

Another one, low cost and comes assembled:

Edited by DeedleNuts
DeedleNuts

For anyone who's still interested, I picked up both the ANyCubic and BIQU printers above. They are both pretty good but very different. The BIQU Magician is fully assembled and dead easy to get printing with, but the build area is small. The ANyCubic Kossel Linear is essentially a box of parts with some mediocre instructions, but once it's together and after some research etc it's a good machine as well. 

If you want 3D printers as a hobby, the ANyCubic is possibly a good fit. If you want 3D printing as a hobby, the BIQU is a low cost way to get going. 

• 4 weeks later...
DeedleNuts

Recently upgraded the hotend on my first 3D printer (the SX-4) to a nickel plated copper E3D Volcano + BondTech setup, with a 5051 part cooling fan and so on. It prints like the wind, relatively speaking, able to lay down plastic at 300mm/sec without any apparent issues. 

It's still a fact of life though, 3D printing is slow and sometimes fiddly. 

Anyway, 12 hours ago I kicked off a print that's supposed to complete in about 4 days. As of this morning, still going strong. We shall see, so much time for something to fail ... trying to stay optimistic. 

The first hour looked like this:

image.thumb.png.cd0edb9687ee5ac40f21b8ae8bc52a76.png

I'd show what it looks like now but I'm out of UL quota - what sort of cheap outfit are we running here anyway?

• 3 weeks later...
DeedleNuts

OK - I'm trying PET with this printer. Before I upgraded it PET was a disaster, so far the Benchy looks decent. If I have UP quota I'll post a pic later. 

DeedleNuts
  • The PETG printed a wonderful Benchy, but it had to be laid down slowly.
  • The PETG is pretty strong and seems more flexible than PLA.
  • PETG stuck to the bed pretty well, but it needed to be a pretty hot bed - I ran 90c, compared to 60c with PLA
  • I can't show a picture now, because while I was exploring how flexible and strong it was, the test became, um, destructive. 

Ah well.