DeedleNuts

3D Printing - Anyone else tried it?

DeedleNuts

A little over a month ago I finally picked up my first 3D printer. Now instead of buying cheap plastic crap from China I can use my Chinese printer to consume a spool of Chinese plastic and make my own cheap crap. A vast improvement. 

I joke. Or do I?

In any case, it's a pretty neat gizmo and I'm wondering if anyone here is also making stuff? I've always been a hobbyist (apparently we call them makers now) and this really is a slick tool in the toolbox. Is it a thing in PH yet? Would it be handy to be able to make your own crap instead of trying to find the thing you're looking for in the shops there? Is this the future?

Discuss.

• Like 2

lamoe
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

A little over a month ago I finally picked up my first 3D printer. Now instead of buying cheap plastic crap from China I can use my Chinese printer to consume a spool of Chinese plastic and make my own cheap crap. A vast improvement. 

I joke. Or do I?

In any case, it's a pretty neat gizmo and I'm wondering if anyone here is also making stuff? I've always been a hobbyist (apparently we call them makers now) and this really is a slick tool in the toolbox. Is it a thing in PH yet? Would it be handy to be able to make your own crap instead of trying to find the thing you're looking for in the shops there? Is this the future?

Discuss.

Sold 3-D printers part time (3-D Systems) after retiring  - when they were "the new thing"  - the tolerances were not bad and material selections few but surface finish was crap.

Like computer chips , improvements and advances have been exponential.

Typ production system back then was in the 2 to 300 K? range with some cheap ones :lol: at 75K

As structural integrity and process times improve their usage will increase but never ? for high volume (nails / screws) items.

What did you pay? Have seen one for $200.

Edited by lamoe

Dafey
8 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

Would it be handy to be able to make your own crap instead of trying to find the thing you're looking for in the shops there?

I know very little about these but am interested.

What kind of 'crap' can you make?

Please explain the 'chinese spool of plastic'?

Do you need special software to design your items?

Thx

lamoe
14 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I know very little about these but am interested.

Thx

Typical small - solid - items - decorative figures

China provides most of the base material (on spools) that is feed into the extruding nozzle - with the same quality control they typ demonstrate

Yes - unless download off net

https://www.androidtipster.com/3d-printers-and-3d-printing-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Like 1

DeedleNuts
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Almost any shape thing made of plastic, with a few limits. 

1 hour ago, Dafey said:

The plastic things that are made in a FFF type printer come from plastic that its melted, extruded through a small nozzle, and then hardens and fuses into whatever shape the printer laid down. The raw material is typically delivered to the 'hot end' and nozzle by feeding in a plastic wire called a filament. It's typically supplied on 1kg spools. 

1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Yes, but WIn10 even comes with some simple software (3D Builder) and a lot more is freely available. 

1 hour ago, lamoe said:

What did you pay? Have seen one for $200.

I paid $800 for one with a 400x400x500 build volume

• Like 3

Salty Dog

49 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

Almost any shape thing made of plastic, with a few limits. 

Try this one...:biggrin_01:

1.png

• Haha 1

DeedleNuts
16 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Try this one...

I think that requires a 4D printer. 

They are amazing in some ways. They are no longer limited to solid shapes, and even some simple articulated things can be made.. 

Of course it's also possible to print things in parts and assemble:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1094616

image.png.7c2881455e69937dc2208fb4e2f7e8e3.png

lamoe
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Try this one...:biggrin_01:

1.png

Milwaukee Museum has / had that  - but better finish - blended cure - harder to see line

Had to be in 1 specific spot otherwise could see how it was constructed

I believe 3-d file available for printing

image.png.780cee734493925ba1bf16e3359696a8.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

HongKongPhooey

If my kid was graduating high school, I would seriously consider telling him to skip the university and pay for him to study and intern/apprentice at a metal 3D printing startup. Good technicians that know how to maintain and operate the industrial versions of these machines are soon going to be in high demand and laughing on their way to the bank. I think it would be a pretty satisfying job too. 

• Like 1

lamoe
20 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

I think that requires a 4D printer. 

They are amazing in some ways. They are no longer limited to solid shapes, and even some simple articulated things can be made.. 

Of course it's also possible to print things in parts and assemble:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1094616

image.png.7c2881455e69937dc2208fb4e2f7e8e3.png

I was referring to the home ones - industrial are becoming fantastic

We sold the  Chicago Museum of Natural History a very sophisticated system to use to reproduce very delicate display items

They said they were  considering a special display showing the sate of items as found  and what they originally looked like - no more replacing / restoring artifacts over and over until they were 100% fake.

Same with fossils   - copy theirs sell to other smaller museums

DeedleNuts
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

I was referring to the home ones - industrial are becoming fantastic

I'm not sure what you mean/meant by solid, but mine (and I believe every FFF type one on the market) can produce both hollow objects and objects with moving parts. 

• Thanks 1

rfm010

Just today my niece headed a cardiac nursing unit that supported the first human implant of a particular 3d printed heart valve.  As of tonight results are uncertain as some arterial pressures are not where they should be.  Tomorrow my niece may be part of a cardiac nursing unit supporting the first human removal of a particular 3d printed heart valve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DeedleNuts
On 7/30/2019 at 8:16 PM, rfm010 said:

Just today my niece headed a cardiac nursing unit that supported the first human implant of a particular 3d printed heart valve.

3D printing of biomaterial is of course a different but somewhat related thing. I suspect it's going to be a huge part of medical advancement, along with CRISPR based gene editing. Take what you know about the market for cosmetic things like breast implants alone,and imagine if they could PRINT up body parts like breasts and whatever else to specification. The market for such a luxury would be almost unlimited. 

That's not even considering the actual medical uses that are being explored such as printing functional replacement hearts, livers, kidneys, and so on that are a perfect DNA match for the recipient. Imagine a world where an amputee can have a new arm grown and printed, or a person with failing kidneys can have a new set made. 

But for the more mundane stuff ...

I found some files that allow me to manufacture my own AR 15 at home, from a spool of plastic. So there's that. 

• Like 1

noddle
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 2:29 PM, DeedleNuts said:

I joke. Or do I?

Discuss.

I use the one at work to make my Raspberry Pie cases, and some other small boxes,

I don't try to create / design any, since someone else has already done it,

www.thingiverse.com

Edited by noddle

DeedleNuts

Yeah I got some stuff from thingiverse but not everything I want is there. Between OpenSCAD, FreeCAD, and 3D Builder I got it covered so for though.