Sign in to follow this  
user333

Dual pricing at the Shrine of Valor in Bataan

user333

For all you WWII history buffs, it commemorates those who died in the Bataan Death in April 1942.

I drove from Manila to Pilar (Mt Samat) and took the JASA (Jose Abad Santos Avenue) route from San Fernando to Bataan. Once I drove past Balanga, there were clear signs for the Shrine of Valor. The road up the mountain is very steep and once you arrive at the top, the guard greets you. He'll ask you where you're from and then charge you a higher price than your companion. My companion was a local citizen and I was a foreigner. 50 P for the foreigner and 30 P for the local. They'll even give you a nice receipt. And you're driving a car? That's an additional 40 P. Why the dual pricing? I didn't receive any extra benefit that day. I had to pay 60% more. What is my extra money going towards? Fixing the missing stones in the walkway up to the cross? Fund the Mt. Samat Flagship Tourism Enterprise Zone's visitor center? Add a sign for the museum (I walked around the memorial and could see the air conditioner fan running but could not figure out how to get downstairs)? When I walked up to the cross, the sign said that the elevator was closed for 90 minutes because they were concerned about overheating. Overheating the elevator machine or the guests upstairs? Overall, it was an ok site, but the dual pricing system is just wrong. (And to those who say that the money is needed for maintenance, or poor locals shouldn’t be priced out of their country’s sights, or foreign visitors have more money so they should pay more, or entry prices in other countries are high, so they should be high everywhere, the solution is to have uniform pricing for everyone). If the Bataan Tourism group is charging foreigners more, they should also charge me extra for a hotel stay, fuel purchases, restaurant food, car rental, etc. 

I know some people have written about dual pricing on this board before, and I know it's not as bad as Thailand or other SE Asian countries, but still, it ticks me off. This is an American/Filipino shrine and it felt like a spit in the face to my countrymen who sacrificed their lives at this site, and 70 years later, I'm required to pay more just to visit it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Dafey
39 minutes ago, user333 said:

I know some people have written about dual pricing on this board before, and I know it's not as bad as Thailand or other SE Asian countries, but still, it ticks me off.

Sometimes this can be very frustrating, but...living in the Philippines is a testament to your patience anyway. There are so many things that seem to be wrong and the general consensus of the citizenry is, "that's the way it's done". However in the grander scheme of things you paid about 20 cents more than your companion. My advice...don't sweat the small stuff. If you do you'll give yourself an ulcer.

Here's how I look at it...when I lived in Florida, Florida residents received a 50% discount at Walt Disney World. I'm sure there are other arenas around the States and around the world that offer locals a discount benefit.

• Like 6

Jawny

I’ve held the view that the price of the entrance is as you described, it is intended as a discount for the local.  This is a form of encouragement for locals to travel and visit sites such as this.

Sometimes there are discounts for students, elderly or others in a similar fashion.....to encourage their participation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aerosick

When I went there, they let me in free! But I was with a PNP Major and several of his squad.

user333

https://www.pressreader.com/philippines/sunstar-cebu/20120703/281745561483668

This is from 2012: “Nationality shouldn’t be a basis for price difference,” said the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB)....

If Florida had a 1 time per year discount for residents in the slow season, that's one thing. But at Mt Samat, this is a permanent rule. If Disneyland charged African and Asian tourists a higher price, that's discrimination. If the elderly or students were foreigners, would they honor their student ID card or AARP card? Most likely not. You're still a foreigner. It's really only for the local students or local elderly. I've read on other forums about foreigners trying to get the senior citizen discount when they are at Jollibee, riding the jeepney, or at the hospital, and it was denied. 

It may only be 20 cents, but it's still discrimination. And it leads to more price discrimination.  Do you think Thailand, India, Cambodia, or Jordan started out with such a huge difference in prices for tourists? No, it started out small and then grew from there. These are some prices from tourist sites in other countries with the foreigner price listed first. Taj Mahal - $16 vs 73 cents. Emerald Pool Krabi - $6.50 vs 65 cents. Angor Wat - $37 vs free. 1 day trip to Petra Jordan - $127 vs $1.41

Again, they've been increasing the prices every few years, so the prices didn't start out as extreme as they are now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

lamoe
15 minutes ago, user333 said:

https://www.pressreader.com/philippines/sunstar-cebu/20120703/281745561483668

This is from 2012: “Nationality shouldn’t be a basis for price difference,” said the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB)....

If Florida had a 1 time per year discount for residents in the slow season, that's one thing. But at Mt Samat, this is a permanent rule. If Disneyland charged African and Asian tourists a higher price, that's discrimination. If the elderly or students were foreigners, would they honor their student ID card or AARP card? Most likely not. You're still a foreigner. It's really only for the local students or local elderly. I've read on other forums about foreigners trying to get the senior citizen discount when they are at Jollibee, riding the jeepney, or at the hospital, and it was denied. 

It may only be 20 cents, but it's still discrimination. And it leads to more price discrimination.  Do you think Thailand, India, Cambodia, or Jordan started out with such a huge difference in prices for tourists? No, it started out small and then grew from there. These are some prices from tourist sites in other countries with the foreigner price listed first. Taj Mahal - $16 vs 73 cents. Emerald Pool Krabi - $6.50 vs 65 cents. Angor Wat - $37 vs free. 1 day trip to Petra Jordan - $127 vs $1.41

Again, they've been increasing the prices every few years, so the prices didn't start out as extreme as they are now. 

Charging foreigners a different price is not criminal discrimination - even charging those from specific countries more is not criminal discrimination

Foreign citizens are subject to US laws and regulations - as they should be - but are not privy to the benefits or privileges afforded by our Constitution.

Same in any other country - their country  - their laws

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Dafey
31 minutes ago, user333 said:

If Disneyland charged African and Asian tourists a higher price, that's discrimination. If the elderly or students were foreigners, would they honor their student ID card or AARP card?

We can't compare the Philippines with the norm we are accustomed to in our home country. The rules are different here in a lot of things...regardless what is listed in the constitution.

If you are a foreigner and drive in the Philippines and you're involved in an accident, you are probably going to be blamed. Is that fair? Will arguing change it or just get me madder? Up to the receiver on how they receive the consequences and deal with it. I choose to cope not to change the world.

It is what it is 

Jawny

Trip Advisor reviews were nearly all positive..,3,4,5.  

Just a few were bad reviews and they seemed to deal with the facilities. Only one review, in July 2019 had to do with ₽20 overcharge. 

Seems like a nice place to visit and reflect upon the reasons for having the memorial. Worth the price. 

• Like 3

mikewright

In Oz, foreign students pay full price for local transport costs; local students pay half price or less.

An Australian pensioner's card will get you many pharmaceutical and other discounts not available to visiting pensioners from other countries.

A foreigner will pay many tens of thousands of dollars more than a local here in any university or college, for the same course.

Dual pricing, for sure. But usually for pretty good economic reasons.

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, user333 said:

If Florida had a 1 time per year discount for residents in the slow season, that's one thing. But at Mt Samat, this is a permanent rule.

There is no limit on the number of times per year that a Florida resident can avail of the different resident discounts that are available.

If Disneyland charged African and Asian tourists a higher price, that's discrimination.

Mt. Samat does not discriminate against any ethnic group all non-resident tourists pay the same.

It's really only for the local students or local elderly. I've read on other forums about foreigners trying to get the senior citizen discount when they are at Jollibee, riding the jeepney, or at the hospital, and it was denied.

Until the law is changed (and last time I checked it wasn't yet), Philippine businesses have no obligation to offer senior discounts to noncitizens. It is up to their discretion.

• Like 2

Jester

It is to encourage locals to go.   Disney and many other places have resident discounts.  

3 Amazing Parks. Find the Ticket for You.

Florida Residents save $50 off the gate price on multi-day tickets to Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure when you buy online.

So is Disney discriminating against people that are not computer literate?

Schools often charge much higher tuition's for out of state or foreign students. 

Legoland, Sea World have resident discounts.

• Like 2

Headshot

Everybody discriminates. Sometimes they will discriminate against you (for whatever reason). If you are lucky, then maybe somebody will discriminate in your favor sometime during your life, but don't count on it.

As far as harping on it ... get over it.

:oldtimer:

user333
4 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

There is no limit on the number of times per year that a Florida resident can avail of the different resident discounts that are available.

Mt. Samat does not discriminate against any ethnic group all non-resident tourists pay the same.

Until the law is changed (and last time I checked it wasn't yet), Philippine businesses have no obligation to offer senior discounts to noncitizens. It is up to their discretion.

I was specifically referring to the 50% off discount at Disney World. I looked on their site and they have a time frame of when their 50% off promo ends and when you have to use your ticket by. My line of "If Disneyland charged African and Asian tourists a higher price, that's discrimination." meant tourists with a tourist visa visiting the United States. Not citizens of the USA who were African or Asian. "Philippine businesses have no obligation to offer senior discounts to noncitizens" Ah yes, I had read the Senate Bill but it didn't pass. The RA9994 Act still stands.

All of of these examples that talk about schools and business with different pricing schemes show discrimination. People that have no problem with this dual pricing scheme would welcome a price increase on all their purchases. I'm bringing this up and some people do not have a problem with it. Would you complain if you, a foreigner, had to pay extra for a hotel stay, fuel purchase, restaurant food, car rental, etc. in the Philippines? Just because you were a non-citizen? Of course you would. 

user333
6 hours ago, Jawny said:

Trip Advisor reviews were nearly all positive..,3,4,5.  

Just a few were bad reviews and they seemed to deal with the facilities. Only one review, in July 2019 had to do with ₽20 overcharge. 

Seems like a nice place to visit and reflect upon the reasons for having the memorial. Worth the price. 

That was me : ) But Trip Advisor only has 167 reviews and the Shrine has been open for 40 years (and Trip Advisor has been around for 19 years) so I don't think it has a wide variety of reviewers. 

Jawny

When I encounter these sort of experiences....paying more than I want to....I have a favorite song I hum to myself.  Perhaps LinC members know it.  The song is the top song in the film Frozen.  It’s sung by Idina Menzel.  Works wonders for my attitude...."Let It Go"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2