Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Capital One banking

Jawny

I'm curious if any members have been using Capital One for banking (checking or credit card). They appear to have a feature that would allow a person with a USA address open an account and then add a second person (joint account) who does NOT have a USA address.  However, the devil may be in the details, such as inability to use their online banking from an overseas ISP or some other limitations. 

lamoe
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

I'm curious if any members have been using Capital One for banking (checking or credit card). They appear to have a feature that would allow a person with a USA address open an account and then add a second person (joint account) who does NOT have a USA address.  However, the devil may be in the details, such as inability to use their online banking from an overseas ISP or some other limitations. 

May want to check out Schwab - FAQs

Not sure about foreign address to start but, I set daughter up in US to have "limited" access to my account and I do access them from here - same as Chase (Ex-wife)

Aerosick
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

I'm curious if any members have been using Capital One for banking (checking or credit card).

We've used Cap 1 for over 20 years now, but we have our address in the USA. While in Cebu we are able to go on-line there with any wi-fi we've had at the time. They have their exchange rate set to the on-line rate, which is a very good feature! I'm able to schedule our monthly payments while in Cebu.

They send me an alert to my cell phone when any charges are made overseas. We are well satisfied with them!

• Like 2

Jawny

Thanks for useful info.  Good to know the online access is not blocked.  I do not have a US address I want to use, so that’s why I was interested in a joint account. 

SkyMan

Have a Cap 1 Adavantage card. I was able to add the wife. No problem and her card has a different number so the bill lists who charged what. I was not able add her to my USAA card without a SS#. The Cap 1 card has a high limit and I took a 0% interest for 18 months advance for a 3% fee so it's like 2% annual which is pretty much free money.  We can still use the card interest free by paying the "interest saver" amount each month which is the total of the month's purchases plus something towards the advance. After 18 months pay it off and then do it again. 

Jawny

That’s reassuring to know a family member can be added. I assume the Advantage card is a credit card. I’m hoping to make use of a checking account as well. 

enoonmai

I used a Cap1 debit card/checking acct for years to get cash in the phils because there was no foreign transaction fee and the rate was good. When I tried to add my foreign spouse (no SS# at the time) to the acct they cancelled the acct. Luckily I had a Cap1 savings acct so they transferred the funds to that. I ended up talking to some female security mgr who was quoting the Patriot Act. That would have been 5 or 6 years ago so things may have changed. I ALWAYS maintained a US address; never told any bank, brokerage, etc I was living in the Phils. The only entity I ever told I was over there was SS and there was no choice on that.

Someone here recommended a US-based HSBC debit card and that turned out to be the best option because not only were there no foreign transaction fees but the local bank charge (P200 at the time) was much less. I used it everywhere. They also don't require you to inform them if you are using it out of the country but the 1st time I used it they locked the acct, I called them and said I was visiting and never had another problem.  

Jawny

Not sure I connect the dots to a female security manager and Patriot Act.  

I know that there is no chance to open a Capital One account from here.  However, I was hoping to be added to an existing account.  

enoonmai
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

Not sure I connect the dots to a female security manager and Patriot Act.  

The point was that when I tried to do exactly what I thought you were asking with Cap1 (add a foreign spouse to an existing checking acct) they closed the acct. They had added her then determined that she wasn't eligible and closed the acct the next day. That was where most of my direct deposits were going so it caused a bit of a problem. I guess I misunderstood your query.

SkyMan
9 hours ago, enoonmai said:

I used a Cap1 debit card/checking acct for years to get cash in the phils because there was no foreign transaction fee and the rate was good. When I tried to add my foreign spouse (no SS# at the time) to the acct they cancelled the acct. Luckily I had a Cap1 savings acct so they transferred the funds to that. I ended up talking to some female security mgr who was quoting the Patriot Act. That would have been 5 or 6 years ago so things may have changed. I ALWAYS maintained a US address; never told any bank, brokerage, etc I was living in the Phils. The only entity I ever told I was over there was SS and there was no choice on that.

Someone here recommended a US-based HSBC debit card and that turned out to be the best option because not only were there no foreign transaction fees but the local bank charge (P200 at the time) was much less. I used it everywhere. They also don't require you to inform them if you are using it out of the country but the 1st time I used it they locked the acct, I called them and said I was visiting and never had another problem.  

Maybe because it's a debit card? The OP was about credit cards. The only debit cards I have or will have are ATM cards that have become debit cards for some reason.

Jawny

One of the problems with trying to get information by web searches is that often the answer given, is not a match to the question asked.  I used the Capital One Facebook page messenger to make an inquiry.  I did get an answer, but I don’t think the question was understood by the person (or AI).  

It makes perfect sense that a Capital One account holder could add a person to the account.  They make that quite clear.  What is NOT clear is whether the added person needs to have a USA domicile/residence.  A clerk is going to answer the question with the elementary answer.  "Yes, account holders and members must have a USA address."  

I’m guessing that Skymans experience demonstrates that a non resident can be added to the account.  Of course, it helps that the account was already established. Bare minimum would be a name, SSAN or ITIN.  

I’ve seen information that Americans Abroad.org has an arrangement with State Department Credit Union to open a credit union account if a member of Americans Abroad. Not sure that is desirable with membership fees and the like.

Soupeod

Data breach on the news!

• Like 1