Rexsmith

How is the 30 days Visa on Arrival Calculated?

Tradewindze

I always depart or renew a few days before the apparent expiration date, just in case I miss the flight etc.

SkyMan
8 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

Seriously...next time I go get my 6-month extension, I get it, then next day, I can go back to same office, pay another roughly 8k, and get another 6-month--for basically a 364 day visa?

After getting the first 6 months I would ask for a second.  If they ask why, tell them you need a DL and the LTO requires you need to show intent to be one year in country.  They may let you right away or tell you to come back the next day.  Or they may say you can't depending on the whim of the day but I think it unlikely they would refuse payments.  If they say no at JMall I would try another BI like Mactan.

8 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

Another question, is BOI website says only 2 6-month extentions can be given per 3-years. My last 3-years here, I got 3 of them.

(That's BI or BoI)  At one point JMall was only allowing 2 but that wasn't a BI rule, just the whim of JMall at the time.  Some expats started propagating that that was a rule and you know how rumors spread.

• Like 1

SkyMan
12 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

Was always told earliest one can extend is 7-days before date of expiration.

8 hours ago, Woolf said:

at least one week prior, can be many may many days prior

as I understand it:  what they try to say is come for your extension  no less than one week before expire

This whole 1 week rule came from a BI faq which is answers to questions from expats but written by Filipinos with Filipino culture in mind and English not their first language.  So the question is something like, "How long before my visa expires can I extend?," which we interpret as  "Is there some maximum time before my visa expires before I can extend?"  But Filipino culture does not jive with the notion of paying anything before you have to.  (I cause lots of drama when I go to the Municipal Hall to pay my property taxes and ask to pay the current year and the next 2.  What?  Why would you want to do that?)  Anyway, whoever answered the faq assumed the asker was worried about overstaying and answered something like, "You can extend 1 week before expiration to avoid overstaying."  It doesn't say, "no  more than 1 week" but people have read it as such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1