Sign in to follow this  
user333

Babies born out of wedlock in the Philippines - 53%

user333

More than half (907,061 or 53.3%) of the total registered live births in 2017 were born out of wedlock 

https://psa.gov.ph/vital-statistics/id/136977

That number is rising. In 2011, it was 44.6%. In 2009, it was 40.7%. It appears it is acceptable , but at what point will it cause social problems? By 2030, will it be 70%?

Maybe some will have a child and then marry afterwards? I had to attend a pre-marriage counseling seminar before they would issue me a marriage certificate in the PH. They passed around a sign-up sheet and survey and I was the last to sign my name. About 5 of the 30 couples in attendance already had kids. 

What are the consequences on the health and development of the mothers and children, the effects of being born out of wedlock on academic success, the emotional toll on the child's upbringing, and the stability of the mother's future relationships?

• Like 1

Paddy

In my little slice of rural Masbate the sequence seems to be 1 or more children, try 1 or more fathers, maybe get married. 

What is unusual about this is the continuing and vocal disapproval of the behavior despite its relative commonality. It’s also not restricted to uneducated village types.

The girls seem to want the babies without considering the economic and social impacts. The boys want the sex but without any responsibility - and the Church keeps insisting contraception is wrong. 

My only surprise about the statistic quoted is “it’s that low?!”

Mind you, who’s to say that all births are properly recorded 😄

• Like 5

liquido
36 minutes ago, Paddy said:

and the Church keeps insisting contraception is wrong. 

On going membership drive for the Catholic Church..

Paddy

I think they justify it more on theological grounds than commercial - but you do have a point!

to_dave007
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

The girls seem to want the babies without considering the economic and social impacts. The boys want the sex but without any responsibility

And in many cases..  at least here.. it seems like the grand parents end up being literally forced to take care of unexpected grandchildren.

I'd like to see some statistics about how often the single mother..  or the babies father..  are the ones who actually take care of the children they make, and how often it's the grandparents. 

Davaoeno

Hey- you want me to feed you and bathe you when you get old??  Then start looking after all the cute little babies I JUST HAD TO HAVE !!  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

The girls seem to want the babies without considering the economic and social impacts. The boys want the sex but without any responsibility - and the Church keeps insisting contraception is wrong. 

I think the girls are stuck waiting for Mr. Right (responsible, has a job) but he never comes. But the guy she's with tells her his plans and she takes that as close enough. 

• Like 1

Ozepete
3 hours ago, liquido said:

On going membership drive for the Catholic Church..

IMO the church has far too much influence and therefore should take a lot of the  blame for the poverty and unwanted births their no divorce, no contraception etc stance causes.

And the government should distance itself from the church like in other developed / developing countries. The church in the Phils is one of the countries greatest problems, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dafey

Whether the church is responsible or not that topic should stay in the CR where it can be openly chatted. Here in the open forum we try not to discuss politics and religion.

Thanks guys & gals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tradewindze

Unmarried or married Parenting is more of a communal and extended family thing, so it’s not as big a deal as in Western countries, where finding childcare and hundreds of thousands of dollars are needed to raise a child. 

seanm
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I think the girls are stuck waiting for Mr. Right (responsible, has a job) but he never comes. But the guy she's with tells her his plans and she takes that as close enough. 

The problem is in The Philippines there is a very low number of candidates who would fit under the premise of Mr Right. 

Even a tricycle driver (a relatively decent job it would seem) is going to have a hard time providing much in terms of a better life. In my limited experience a tricycle driver is probably living in government housing/and or with the parents

The guy is paying 150-200 pesos per day to rent the tricycle from the owner. Say he averages 50 pesos per hour, he is working four hours just to pay back the rent. Then he is working another 6 hours to profit 300 pesos.

The economics are difficult. Now the owner of that tricycle. He should be doing alright, but he had to have the money to buy the tricycle as well as get the permit from the government.

6 minutes ago, Tradewindze said:

Unmarried or married Parenting is more of a communal and extended family thing, so it’s not as big a deal as in Western countries, where finding childcare and hundreds of thousands of dollars are needed to raise a child. 

The communal parenting in The Philippines is very cool imo.

You try to explain the benefits of this to many people in the US and they will think you are crazy. I look at the young kids in the brgys and I can see the good benefits of kids being kids. 

• Like 4

Don.

Maybe some of the women hesitate to get married because there is no second chance that a divorce provides.

She could find herself married to an abuser or drunk. 

If and when the "right guy" comes along, then she has no chance of getting legally married to him.

Many women have told me that if their husband or boyfriend does not love them, then they want a baby that will love them.  More babies, more love, I guess.

Babies here  seem to be often thought of as retirement plans, and I guess the earlier and more often you have a baby, then the earlier and better off you can retire.  In theory.

• Like 3

to_dave007
3 hours ago, seanm said:

The communal parenting in The Philippines is very cool imo.

Sure.. it's cool if all you need is a baby sitter.. or someone to feed the kids. or keep them safe.  But which communal parent takes responsibility to ensure the kid goes to school? or completes homework?  or gets eyes tested if need be?  Communal parenting is fine if you are happy when your son quits school at 13 to join the commune.  and your daughter stays out late at night to party with her friends at 13.

Lets see how cool you think communal parenting is when it's your own child.

Jawny

I noticed the PSA data showed a significantly higher percentage of children born out of wedlock in the area I live in. However, the data didn’t seem to indicate that most of the biological fathers were irresponsible. In fact where I live and within my immediate family, all of the men are responsible citizens, workers and family members. More of an exception to be a bad parent or sibling. 

As far as the children getting care from an extended family, seems to work pretty well.  The millions of OFW parents rely pretty heavily on this socially acceptable parenting style. 

Of the dozens of family members I am part of, only one child was left to the grandparents to raise. He was the result of an unwanted pregnancy and the mother did have a second child, with a foreigner (German) who has opted to remain married with a family in Germany to ensure financial security. 

• Like 3