Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Filipino Superstitions

Dafey

I have a Labrador that is currently at the back of the house, (under my Mother In Laws window), with his head back and howling. This is freaking my MIL out as it is supposed to mean someone will die.

The fact is, I've separated him from his mom who is currently in heat and he's howling because he can smell her, along with every other dog in the neighborhood.

That doesn't stop my MIL walking around the howling dog with lit candles and chanting with her friends. I've asked that she please not shave him or do anything to the dog without asking me.

The worst part is that my MIL's sister, (75), has just returned from the hospital where the doctors have only given her days to months to live because her cancer is now untreatable. One way or another they will blame the dog. 

:wt-hell:

What are the Superstitions that your family believes in?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

SkyMan

I thought my MIL was reasonably ok on that stuff buuuutttt.......

My wife had a pic she really liked of her, her mom, and her sister taken after the sister's wedding.  She had a large version of it framed and gave it to her mom.  Last time visiting she asked where it was and mom said she threw it away because there are 3 people in it and that's bad luck, someone will die.

When the wife told me that she looked at me for my reaction and I just said, "Well, yeah."

Yeah? :shocked:

Sure, sooner or later, all 3 will die.

She wasn't happy with my explanation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

wondersailor

I don't even know where to begin with this topic. They pop up like toadstools in the lawn during rainy season. 

• Like 2

Dafey

My wife won't let me trim my toenails after dark...she's vague on what will happen but knows it's bad!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wondersailor
7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

My wife won't let me trim my toenails after dark...she's vague on what will happen but knows it's bad!

Trimming in the dark, she's probably right.

• Haha 1

Dafey

Clipping by braille?

• Like 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

In bed?  Yeah, I can see that.

2 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Just finished pouring a new concrete slab here in Oz.  Try explaining to a group of tough ozzie piss head concreters why there has to be coins and a dead chook buried under the slab!  They still think we're all nuts!

So do I.

• Haha 2

bert
2 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Just finished pouring a new concrete slab here in Oz.  Try explaining to a group of tough ozzie piss head concreters why there has to be coins and a dead chook buried under the slab!  They still think we're all nuts!

we built a swimming pool here so baboy had to be slaurted before  pour started

user333

When my wife was a child, her grandma told her not to take a shower or wash her hands after ironing clothes. The cold water would cause an illness. My wife's dermatologist told her to wear sunscreen lotion while she was using her laptop (the LCD screen doesn't emit any UV rays). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Cebuandrew
7 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Yup, coins under the slab is common. I once watched a family discuss how many total coins and what total amount was required. Let's see...foot of the bed cannot face the doorway. Bad luck to place keys on a table people eat or drink at. Opened a hotel here several months ago, and my partner's wife required a blessing of both holy water and fresh goat blood. I agreed to the holy water, but come on, maybe they wanted the blood so they could feast on goat meat that night? 

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Humm, my wife doesn't have a single superstition, at least that I've ever heard her mention. In fact when I sometimes ask her about one mentioned on the forum, she often hasn't even heard of it.

I'll ask her if she's heard the ones mentioned in this thread...

Dafey
4 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

I agreed to the holy water, but come on, maybe they wanted the blood so they could feast on goat meat that night? 

I don't know...cover your bases!

Jawny

There is a belief that the first sale of a day will determine the success of that day.  So, the first customer is not likely to get any sort of discount.

My wife needed some brown sugar, so she went to a nearby sari sari store.  The merchant didn’t have change (no surprise there) for a ₽100 note.  So, he said he didn’t want to make the sale.  His reasoning was she would be using an utang (debt) to make the purchase.  Bad luck for him.

She pointed out that it was not an utang, but rather just not having change.  So, his day could still be profitable.

He agreed, and accepted the arrangement.  She got the sugar, made the coffee cake, returned later with exact change.....life was good.

• Like 4

Headshot
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

I don't know...cover your bases!

You have to remember that in addition to strong Catholic beliefs (the holy water), Filipinas have even stronger animist beliefs left over from before they were converted to Catholicism. That is where the blood rituals and burying things in the ground (and fear of basements) come from, and also a lot of the beliefs in monsters and evil spirits. You see a lot of the same beliefs in Latin America, where the Indians were converted, but hung onto a lot of their old beliefs as well. You also have to remember that most of the "Spanish" settlers in the Philippines during their reign were actually from Mexico (and other parts of Latin America), and they brought a lot of their pre-conversion beliefs with them too. The mixture ends up as a culture with more superstitions than you can count. The trade route between the Philippines and Spain went across the Pacific to Mazatlan and then down to the isthmus of Panama, where goods were transported to the Atlantic side and on to Spain. Mexico had a lot of influence over what happened in the Philippines for a few hundred years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1