Chernobyl disaster site to become official tourist attraction

Dafey

• Administrator
Dafey

image.png.05e93219333b50da0ea2a6cc7b3ef5da.png

Chernobyl, the site of the worst ever nuclear accident, is to officially be turned into a tourist attraction.

The Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, signed a decree to change the fortunes of the disaster area on Wednesday 10 July.

New plans will see walking trails and waterways added, mobile phone reception improved and filming restrictions lifted.

“Chernobyl has been a negative part of Ukraine’s brand,” said President Zelensky at the inauguration ceremony for a new metal dome to encase the destroyed reactor, reports the BBC. “The time has come to change this.”

The area surrounding Chernobyl nuclear power station has grown in popularity as a “dark tourism” destination in recent years, with interest peaking after a 2019 HBO series about the tragedy.

In April 1986, a reactor at the station exploded, hospitalising 138 people, of whom 28 died in the immediate aftermath, and contaminating close to 50,000 acres of land after plumes of radioactive material shot 2km into the Earth’s atmosphere.

An 18-mile radius, known as the exclusion zone, was set up around the reactor and more than 100,000 people were evacuated from the area.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/travel/tripideas/chernobyl-disaster-site-to-become-official-tourist-attraction/ar-AAEhXF5?ocid=spartandhp

SkyMan

Seen a few shows on the place.  Part of it's weirdness factor is nobody there.  I kind of think if it's open to normally tourism that will go away.

Soupeod

I wonder how many RADs you get there now. Halflife is not up I believe.

rfm010

If i go i'll first put a recording on my phone of a geiger counter going from normal to "if you can hear this you're already dead"  and play it while pointing at random items.    

Two shows into the series at the moment, not really feeling the need to visit any time soon.

• Like 1