• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Davaoeno

• samatm

• Lordblacknail

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kills bad breath and makes a mean whisky sour too...

if you want good value for money, go with a scotch like glenfiddich, u won't be paying for jw's marketing department, also a way better whiskey if you ask me. they sell the 12 and 15 year bottles

WHAT????? The Chinese bought Johnny Walker???? Is nothing sacred???    I suppose the next thing I will hear is that the Japanese have started making whiskey !!  

Posted Images

DeedleNuts

I've bought JW Red, Black, Double Black. They are OK. A prospective employer bought me a few rounds of the JW Blue after the interviews were over, before a fancy dinner. I thought it was pretty nice but if I'm buying my own it won't be that. 

I have a few lower cost whiskeys I do like and do drink, but that are not Walker. 

aabel

As I am not a whisky drinker -  I got no favorite, but JW is often what I buy as a present - or to serve my guests.

But I heard a story about how got the JW-bottle square shaped? Originally the JW-bottle was round as most others.

In one situation the owner of JW found himself in a problem with round bottles and decided to change design.

My questions are 1) what was the situation, 2) what was the problem and 3) where was it and when?

It is a quite interesting history so just come on.

Dutch
On 5/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, aabel said:

As I am not a whisky drinker -  I got no favorite, but JW is often what I buy as a present - or to serve my guests.

But I heard a story about how got the JW-bottle square shaped? Originally the JW-bottle was round as most others.

In one situation the owner of JW found himself in a problem with round bottles and decided to change design.

My questions are 1) what was the situation, 2) what was the problem and 3) where was it and when?

It is a quite interesting history so just come on.

cost saving id imagine, they take up less space during transport.

aabel

The story I heard many years ago, is what follows. I send a mail to JW if they could confirm or not, but no reply.

In the middle of the 1800-years, the owner was an enthusiastic salmon fisher. I think his name was Alexander Walker Every year he went to river Namsen in Mid Norway fishing from row boats. And he brought his bottled whiskey with him at the bottom of the boat where the round bottles  roamed around as the boat rolled.

Then he found out that if he made the bottles squire, they would lay still. And so he did.

Since then the JW-bottles has been squire.