Johnnie Walker Red to Blue rated

Soupeod
7 hours ago, Dutch said:

if you want good value for money, go with a scotch like glenfiddich, u won't be paying for jw's marketing department, also a way better whiskey if you ask me.

they sell the 12 and 15 year bottles at s&r.

Exactly, same here.  I never understood the want for JW.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Davaoeno

• samatm

• Lordblacknail

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kills bad breath and makes a mean whisky sour too...

if you want good value for money, go with a scotch like glenfiddich, u won't be paying for jw's marketing department, also a way better whiskey if you ask me. they sell the 12 and 15 year bottles

WHAT????? The Chinese bought Johnny Walker???? Is nothing sacred???    I suppose the next thing I will hear is that the Japanese have started making whiskey !!  

Posted Images

samatm
Posted (edited)

Ok.. not a huge whiskey guy...but I enjoy a JD black  from time to time.    for you aficionados... what do say is  the best Whiskey buy here in Cebu  S&R    landers  etc..???

Also Funny that by the end  of his presentation the guy is getting loaded.. and slurring his speech a bit.  

Edited by samatm
BossHog
9 hours ago, samatm said:

what do say is  the best Whiskey buy here in Cebu  S&R    landers  etc..???

Not the best whisky but certainly the best whisky buy has to be hands down William Lawson's Blended Scotch Whisky. It sells for under 500 a bottle and is just fine. Not going to get better value than that. It's not a presentation type whisky but you'd be hard pressed to find a better bottle for the price. Consistently gets very good reviews internationally. 

william.jpg.bcc40bc3a8acb4d416d53c1cb3c39dd8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cvgtpc1
12 hours ago, samatm said:

Ok.. not a huge whiskey guy...but I enjoy a JD black  from time to time.    for you aficionados... what do say is  the best Whiskey buy here in Cebu  S&R    landers  etc..???

Also Funny that by the end  of his presentation the guy is getting loaded.. and slurring his speech a bit.  

I've tried them all and think for taste vs price Black is the best bang for the buck.  Now I want some.

samatm
2 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

I've tried them all and think for taste vs price Black is the best bang for the buck.  Now I want some.

I've heard once you go black you never go back.... but which black   JW  or JD ?

cvgtpc1
57 minutes ago, samatm said:

I've heard once you go black you never go back.... but which black   JW  or JD ?

JW lol

Soupeod
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, samatm said:

Your mixing apples and oranges, JW is a blended Scotch whiskey.

Jack Daniels is a Bourbon Whiskey.

and right now the Brits are having a giggle at you, thinking yanks don’t know their whiskey.  😅

I prefer a single malt scotch as previously mentioned by Dutch.  A different whiskey all together.

Edited by Soupeod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
mikewright
Posted (edited)

Ah, decisions decisions :scratch_head:

Decisions.thumb.jpg.341ac484e721447817b7056c13093732.jpg

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1
Chris24

Recently I've been trying to lose weight, and have given up beer for now, and switched to whisky and water, more of the latter, especially in ice form.  I truly enjoy single malt scotches but they've gotten more than a little bit expensive lately so have started exploring bourbons.  On balance I prefer dry scotches or bourbons, the various JDs have all been acceptable, the JBs less so.   

Overall the best "quaffers" I've found thus far are Bulleit's Rye or Bourbon, purportedly available in Manila.  My preference is the Rye.   Here in the U.S. they are bit bit pricier than JD or JB, but still less than the imported single-malt scotches.

image.png.68683f27431497c6ee99cc673166dc7a.png

• Like 1
wondersailor

Every time I try scotch, whisky, paint thinner, I allways end up with the same conclusion "You actually paid for this?". I guess warm milk is as great an adventure as I will ever experience.

fivestarph

Anybody brave enough to try this. Maybe with Coke/ Ginger Ale!!  Available in Landers.

Claymore.jpg

Chris24
7 hours ago, fivestarph said:

Anybody brave enough to try this. Maybe with Coke/ Ginger Ale!!  Available in Landers.

Claymore.jpg

I've not had the pleasure but here is a review by someone who has:  https://honestboozereviews.com/the-claymore-blended-scotch-whiskey-750ml/#:~:text=Taste%3A 2.0 – That tastes like,worst aftertastes I've had.

(on a 10-point scale with 10 being the highest)

Taste: 2.0 – That tastes like an awful brandy. Similiar really to E&J, but with a more ‘smoke’.

Aftertaste: 0.5 – It does actually get worse. Honestly that may be one of the worst aftertastes I’ve had. I nearly coughed every time.

Burn/Smooth: 3.5 – The brandy like flavor adds some sweetness which helps cut some of the burn, but oh yeah it does.

Aroma: 2.0 – I’m not sure if that’s whiskey and gasoline, or whiskey and turpentine. Based on the name it might actually be residue from quenching a blade, but either way it’s terrible.

Honesty: 8.0 – They don’t even go into their whisky, they don’t lie, and overall there’s nothing to remove points. Add that to the badass name, and the gutter taste – and this is without doubt worthy of the title of a sword.

Mixability: 4.0

W/ Rocks: 4.0 – That takes off some of the edge there, but this is still not good.

Value: 3.5 – It’s cheap sure, but not worth that much.

Google Shop Average: $14

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
samatm
On 5/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, Soupeod said:

Your mixing apples and oranges, JW is a blended Scotch whiskey.

Jack Daniels is a Bourbon Whiskey.

and right now the Brits are having a giggle at you, thinking yanks don’t know their whiskey.  😅

I prefer a single malt scotch as previously mentioned by Dutch.  A different whiskey all together.

Lol....    I used to buy discarded casks from the JD distillery in Williamsburg VA  and make them into Planters...  I wasn't a drinker (then) but I really loved the smells emanating from the freshly cut casks.    Anyway.. you are partially correct, but I know more than most about  JD... but I am not too familiar with JW.. so the Brits might be having a giggle that  this Yank doesn't know much their whiskey.    BUT that begs the  question:  which black do you think is better  JW or JD?      Also BTW..  SM is having a promo now on  JW  double black.   

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Since this was brought up. This is from wikipedia: 

After being used for the aging of Jack Daniel's whiskey, many barrels go to Scotland to be used in the production of Scotch whisky. Some barrels are leased from Glenmorangie distillery. Some of the barrels are sold to McIlhenny Company of Avery Island, Louisiana, for production of Tabasco sauce and to both the Mount Gay Rum company of Barbados and Appleton Estate of Jamaica for use in the aging process of their distinctively flavored rums. Some barrels are also cut in half and shipped to Lowe's Home Centers to be used as planter pots. They retain the whiskey smell for some time after arriving there and must be watered every couple of days to keep the wood from shrinking before they are sold...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mikecon3
5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Since this was brought up. This is from wikipedia: 

After being used for the aging of Jack Daniel's whiskey, many barrels go to Scotland to be used in the production of Scotch whisky. Some barrels are leased from Glenmorangie distillery. Some of the barrels are sold to McIlhenny Company of Avery Island, Louisiana, for production of Tabasco sauce and to both the Mount Gay Rum company of Barbados and Appleton Estate of Jamaica for use in the aging process of their distinctively flavored rums. Some barrels are also cut in half and shipped to Lowe's Home Centers to be used as planter pots. They retain the whiskey smell for some time after arriving there and must be watered every couple of days to keep the wood from shrinking before they are sold...

They even break the barrels up and sell them in bags...so you can add them to charcoal to give your BBQ that JD flavor. In Saudi, where the available drink was moonshine, we would add the wood chips to the bottle and let it sit...turned the alcohol brown and gave it a more mellow taste. Oh, did I say we?! I meant the hard core drinkers!

• Like 1