Dafey

Just a point of interest...most airlines have a bereavement fare. Usually half price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SkyMan
10 hours ago, Dafey said:

Just a point of interest...most airlines have a bereavement fare. Usually half price.

What kind of proof do you need that you knew the person in the box?

• Like 1

Dafey

Usually a death certificate. If you are the holder of the paper then you probably have the right to apply for bereavement. 

Paddy
On 7/9/2019 at 5:47 PM, SkyMan said:

What kind of proof do you need that you knew the person in the box?

The death certificate proves that bereavement has occurred. I would expect you’d have to claim some close family relationship also. 

Did this year’s ago when my Father died. Got the word that it was touch and go on a Sunday. Monday morning got the only remaining seat out of Toronto on Air Canada for that day. Because it was the last seat it was business class - so booked that plus economy return seat for 3 weeks later. On return contacted Air Canada and sent the Death Certificate and a letter. Got a small refund. Didn’t expect too much because, let’s face it, he was still alive when the business class seat was used...

I don’t recall using any proof of relationship - although my middle and last names are the same as my dad’s full name. That might have made it easier.

• Like 1

Headshot

It appears that a death certificate is NOT needed to get the bereavement fare (at least by some airlines).

The following information is required so that you can purchase a ticket under the Bereavement Policy:

Deceased person’s name

Customer's relationship to the deceased

Name and phone number of funeral home, hospital, or hospice

Name of doctor (if applicable)

If you are overseas, it may not even be necessary that the person is already dead.

In the event of a death or imminent death (for international travel) in your immediate family

Of course, this is all dependent on each airline's policies. Some only offer bereavement fares to members of their frequent flyer programs.

It appears that the term "immediate family" spreads a pretty wide net...

Spouse

Domestic partner

Child

Parent

Sister

Brother

Stepparent

Stepchild

Grandparent

Grandchild

Aunt

Uncle

Niece

Nephew

Stepbrother

Stepsister

Mother-in-law

Father-in-law

Son-in-law

Daughter-in-law

Brother-in-law

Sister-in-law

rfm010

I tried to avail of a bereavement fare from delta when my mom was in her last few weeks.  Called the manila office.  They were able to get me a seat leaving on 2 days notice and they got me a fare better than the bereavement fare.  So i never had to deal with any paperwork, they took my word for it.   

• Like 3