Dafey

PAL conveys apology to American musician for ‘overweight’ baggage

Dafey

Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) on Monday conveyed its apology to American singer and YouTuber David DiMuzio for an incident involving his “overweight” baggage at the NAIA Terminal 2 last June 28.

Dimuzio said that he was initially informed by the check-in agent that his baggage was overweight only to find out that his baggage was within the allowable weight after a second weigh-in using another scale.

An investigation into DiMuzio's complaint found that the weighing scale used on the baggage was not working properly, the airline said in a statement.

“Based on the investigation, the weighing scale initially used was not properly calibrated,” PAL said.

“Upon discovery, this was immediately reported to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport authorities, and they have responded accordingly,” it added.

The American singer posted a video on his Facebook page last June 30 noting that a weighing scale registered that his baggage was overweight.

DiMuzio said the weighing scale appeared to be malfunctioning, as he was told that his luggage was several kilograms overweight, even though he already unloaded its contents.

“Philippine Airlines has reached out to the passenger and apologized for the inconvenience caused,” the airline said.

“Philippine Airlines assures its passengers of the integrity of its airport operations and continues to coordinate with airport authorities on the upkeep of airport equipment,” it added.

PAL said it has reminded personnel to check the calibration of devices during check in.

“The probe has found no malicious intent or ill-will on the part of its ground staff/agent in the handling of his luggage,” it said.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/pal-conveys-apology-to-american-musician-for-overweight-baggage/ar-AADZJjX?ocid=spartandhp

• Haha 2

Jim_in_Jax

What about any of the other passengers that checked it at that agent and was charged for overweight baggage?  Will they do anything to refund the fees?  I think, unlikely.

• Like 4

Ozepete
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

What a dickhead. Has he thought of getting a life instead of highlighting such a small issue. And as for his inference that PAL might be running a new scam, only low life attention seekers use such language.  Back to school sunshine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Davaoeno
16 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

What a dickhead. Has he thought of getting a life instead of highlighting such a small issue. And as for his inference that PAL might be running a new scam, only low life attention seekers use such language.  Back to school sunshine!

I have to disagree with you on this one Pete. I'm betting PAL has used this method to scam millions over the years from unsuspecting travellers.  Corruption starts at the top. Thankfully someone finally  called them on it .PAL and other companies count on the fact that most Filipinos are too timid to say anything when they are getting robbed!

• Like 8

Dafey

I used to work for a major airline in the states...Agents have control over the scale and can tweak it if the wish.

26 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I'm betting PAL has used this method to scam millions over the years

They are not the only airline...this happens worldwide.

• Like 3

bert
7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I used to work for a major airline in the states...Agents have control over the scale and can tweak it if the wish.

yes seen the same with australian air lines in the scales  100% wrong

• Like 1

Salty Dog
17 minutes ago, bert said:

yes seen the same with australian air lines in the scales  100% wrong

How much is 100% wrong in kilos…  :biggrin_01:

• Haha 2

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

rI have to disagree with you on this one Pete. I'm betting PAL has used this method to scam millions over the years from unsuspecting travellers.  Corruption starts at the top. Thankfully someone finally  called them on it .PAL and other companies count on the fact that most Filipinos are too timid to say anything when they are getting robbed!

There was case in Canada where Tim Hortons was called out by customer for routinely overcharging just 3 cents on tea biscuit and a coffee.  It was an error in tax calculation.  Made the Toronto Sun and CBC news.  The issue wasn't the 3 cents.  It was that the very same overcharge was being made millions of times a month at the 3500+ Tim Hortons outlets nationwide.  Was not malicious.  Just a mistake.

How many of us have put money in a parking meter that didn't work? Should we just smile and forget it because it's small?

Or put money into a vending machine that didn't deliver?

Or wondered if the 1 kilo of pork we buy at the market in town is really an honest kilo?

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

How much is 100% wrong in kilos…  :biggrin_01:

It's much easier to calculate 100% wrong in lbs.  It's because % is in a scale of 1 to 100 but there are 454 grams in a pound !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lamoe
Posted (edited)

I have a digital travel scale - calibrate it using 2 L bottle of water = 2 Kg - plastic bottle doesn't register by itself - mine is a little high  which is fine with me.

Mactan airport has digital scales in front of bag check in - Cebu Pacific  - entertaining seeing the people trying to get what they packed rearranged

Paid for 20 Kg  - mine 19.75 -  free scale 19.50 - Cebu Pacific 19.60 close enough

They didn't check weight of carryons unless final bag conveyor did which I doubt as I stuffed our2nd carron into one bag  - weighted12 Kg - 7 allowed :lol:

BTW Cebu Pacific is P200 / kg overage domestic - 800 international

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

RedRanger
On 7/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, Ozepete said:

If he is a YouTuber then I agree he needs to get a life.  There are 100's of Youtubers now of days posting all kinds of stupid stuff from the Philippines.  

• Thanks 1

lamoe
On 7/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, to_dave007 said:

Or wondered if the 1 kilo of pork we buy at the market in town is really an honest kilo?

She wanted pork tonight - ordered 3/4 Kg - got home -  used digital travel scale = 0.54 - went back (only across street) - explained either scale was wrong or cutter didn't put enough on scale -  reweighed - little over 0.50 :shocked:

They asked how I knew my scale was right - showed them the 1 L = 1 Kg method

She's been cheated before by getting other than 1/4, 1/2 or 1 Kg - they ALWAYS round up so .60 = .75

To me NBD - to her very big deal

image.thumb.png.20c0d6a3a5f607fbfb8284a677dce825.png

Headshot
On 7/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, Dafey said:

If that is the case, I would bet that you can check every scale in every check-in counter in any given airport, and never get the same weight reading twice. If scales are not calibrated and locked, then it just invites corruption. It makes you wonder if check-in agents get some kind of monetary reward when they charge for overweight baggage. It sounds like something passengers around the world should be complaining about. If they tell you a bag is overweight, tell them you weighed it on a calibrated scale before coming to the airport and it was under the maximum weight, and ask them the date their scale was last calibrated. My bet is that you will get an "ah shit" look and some fast back-peddling (if they even understand what you are talking about).

• Like 1

sierra01
6 hours ago, lamoe said:

She wanted pork tonight - ordered 3/4 Kg - got home -  used digital travel scale = 0.54 - went back (only across street) - explained either scale was wrong or cutter didn't put enough on scale -  reweighed - little over 0.50 :shocked:

They asked how I knew my scale was right - showed them the 1 L = 1 Kg method

She's been cheated before by getting other than 1/4, 1/2 or 1 Kg - they ALWAYS round up so .60 = .75

To me NBD - to her very big deal

image.thumb.png.20c0d6a3a5f607fbfb8284a677dce825.png

I've got the same scale as that, I've always found it to be pretty close to what the check in scales at Heathrow say.

Salty Dog

On my first US Domestic flight in over 5 years, I was worried because I had been reading all these stories about paying for overweight baggage.

I weighed it at one of those stations where you do everything yourself and then take your baggage to a drop off area with your boarding pass.

One of ours was 50.5 lbs (50 was limit). I figured no way they would give me a hard time for 8 oz over.

Turned out they didn't even weigh them...

• Haha 1