SkyMan

2 stroke engine starter idea

SkyMan

Would this work? 

A couple years ago I got a 2 stroke jackhammer/rock breaker from China and we've used it quite a bit off and on digger footings when we get to the really hard limestone.  A couple times we had problems with the recoil pull estarter but I was able to remind it and go on but that got more and more frequent so I got a new one from Lazada in a couple weeks.  Unfortunately that one only lasted a few days.  So I ordered another from a different seller but by then we didn't need the machine for a while.  The new one looks like the previous one that only lasted a couple days though.  

So while I was waiting for the second starter to arrive I thought of a different way to start the machine but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to try.

It seems like it would be fairly easy to build an attachment to a power tool to mate up with the piece the pull starter mates up to spin the engine kind of like used on a race car where they want to reduce engine weight by not carrying around an attached starter motor.  So they hook up a starter and then remove it.

I'd like to use a power drill for the variable speed but I'm not sure if there's enough torque there and I'm also not sure the chuck would hold the adapter very well.  I think my angle grinder has sufficient torque but maybe too much and I don't know if it would be safe. Certainly not an intended use. 

Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

cookie47
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Any thoughts on this?

Firstly it does work, (I've personally done it on uncooperative old mowers that people junk and much better on a two stroke, (generally less compression). 

18 volt drill OK. 

Although a socket can be used, an adaptor made from a short piece of tube is much safer as a "dog" can be made on the driven end with a "T" made for the drill end. This all assumes that you have enough spare thread above the flywheel to secure the adaptor. Never had an issue with the chuck slipping. 

I've seen just a socket used but if the engine starts and doesn't release the socket various issues result including broken wrists.. 

I've even seen a large two hand industrial drill used to start a Briggs and Tratton 125cc lawn mower. 

Lastly make sure you always are sure of the rotational direction you need as two strokes will start in any direction... 

See YouTube. 

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 2

Woolf

I guess it something like this you want

• Like 2

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I guess it something like this you want

Kind of funny in the video though.  If I'm trying to start my generator I probably don't have power so without power.......whoops.  Sure, they do mention you could use a cordless but ....

11 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Lastly make sure you always are sure of the rotational direction you need as two strokes will start in any direction...

I think the jackhammer would work either way anyway.

Woolf
3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I think the jackhammer would work either way anyway.

well  could be   but you may loosen the flywheel nut

you could weld a socket to and old 12 v starter motor and use a battery 

starter motor from a 110 cc bike   or from a multicab  

• Like 1

Woolf

modify a coupling nut to something like this, a bit safer 

image.thumb.png.a1d844687c062aae62ef024a75aa7835.png

• Like 1

cookie47
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

think the jackhammer would work either way anyway.

No..... 

Well,,, unless the ignition timing was "coincidently" TDC (top dead center) the timing would be incorrect. Plus IF it's fitted with an advance system you'd be totally confusing it. However... 

Plus,,, the flywheel has cooling vanes that need to spin in the correct direction to develop airflow. 

1 minute ago, Woolf said:

modify a coupling nut to something like this, a bit safer 

image.thumb.png.a1d844687c062aae62ef024a75aa7835.png

Yes 

• Like 1

SkyMan

Took the recoil off and looked.  Yeah, if the new recoil starter breaks it'll be pretty easy to switch over to power drill starter.

• Like 1