seanm

Taking a Ship from Cebu to Manila to Get US Passport for Baby

seanm

Has anyone done this?

It would essentially be myself, my girlfriend, my Mom, and then my baby (who would be like 4 weeks old). I was thinking of taking a plane, but I feel a boat is the better play with a baby. The purpose of this trip is to get a US Passport for the baby. 

I have taken boats from Cebu to Ormoc and from Cebu to Cagayan De Oro and back and all those trips have been great (granted on all these trips I have been by myself)  

Most times I have just paid for the economy or standard. One time I payed for the "Tourist" class from CDO to Cebu and the Air Con was absolutely freezing so I just moved to an open air bed. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

SkyMan

CRBA can be done in Cebu  I believe. 

SkyMan
Posted (edited)

I imagine getting a CRBA will require a PSA BC and at 4 weeks old you probably don't have that yet. Also since you aren't married you should expect a lot of other requirements. 

Edited by SkyMan

BossHog
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, seanm said:

myself, my girlfriend, my Mom, and then my baby

2GO ships have very decent cabins for three or four. I'd however go with a suite or a stateroom.. Some of the better rooms even have a bathtub which could come in handy. Definitely get something with ensuite facilities.

https://travel.2go.com.ph/Accommodation-Facilities/

I'd book a stateroom for two and get the mother-in-law a tourist passage ticket. But you can just have her stay in your room. Each boat only has a few staterooms so when you know your dates book early. Under two years old is free.

I've traveled Mindanao to Manila with an infant for the same purpose.  The crew on-board went out of their way to be helpful but be prepared for a lot of attention and nosy questions from fellow passengers, lol.

Edited by BossHog

Headshot

Both the CRBA and the US passport can be done through the Consular Office in Cebu. The OP will need to have a certified DNA test done, since he is not married to the baby's mother. He will also need a PSA certified birth certificate and it is advisable that they get a Philippine passport before applying for the CRBA and US passport, since the consular officer will want at least one form of ID for the baby (and it is pretty difficult to get any other form of ID for a baby). This is what I remember from when we got the CRBA and US passport for my daughter (except we didn't need the DNA test because my wife and I had been married well over a year when our daughter was born).

A friend of mine traveled to Manila with his wife and son for the same process, and the consular officers ran them through a long questioning period (separately) to make sure their stories matched. The consular officers tried to convince him that they needed a DNA test even though they were married prior to the conception, but they finally relented when they compared the baby to his father (who is black) to his son. For some reason, they were convinced my friend's son was fathered by a Filipino. When they finally looked at my friend holding his son, they had to admit that the boy was identical to his father and granted the CRBA and US passport. I think a lot of it had to do with prejudices held by the consular officers.

• Like 1

shadow
Posted (edited)

As has been mentioned, both the CRBA and passport can be applied for in Cebu. If you have very strong proof of relationship starting from before the conception until birth, a DNA might not be required. If they determine it is, you will have to go to Manila to get that done, but you cannot do it until they request it, swabbing must be done at the embassy by appointment only. PSA birth certificate and a Philippine passport are requirements.

The overnight boats are our favorite way to travel here.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 2