cookie47

Fire destroys Jim Beam warehouse

cookie47

I'm not a big drinker, but what a shame.

FRANKFORT, Ky. – A fire destroyed a massive Jim Beam warehouse filled with about 45,000 barrels of aging bourbon in Kentucky, and state officials worried that runoff whiskey seeping into nearby waterways would kill fish.

Firefighters from four counties responded to the blaze that erupted late Tuesday. It sent flames shooting into the night sky and generated so much heat that firetruck lights melted.

Lightning might have been a factor, but fire investigators haven’t been able to start looking for the cause, Woodford County Emergency Management Director Drew Chandler said.

The warehouse was a total loss. Looking to reassure consumers of Jim Beam bourbon, Beam Suntory indicated it amounted to a drop of the iconic brand’s total aging inventory.

No injuries were reported, Chandler said. The fire was contained but was allowed to burn until midday Wednesday, he said.

“The longer it burns, the more of the distilled spirits burn with it,” he said in a phone interview. “So when they go to put it out, there will be less contaminated runoff that goes into a drinking-water tributary.”

By Wednesday afternoon, firefighters were dousing the warehouse’s charred remains with water to try to extinguish the fire, Chandler said.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete

That's terrible! What a waste! :cry:  Good reason for a national day of mourning! :wacko:

• Like 3

SkyMan

I don't imagine the local residents will complain if the water gets contaminated. 

• Like 2

cookie47
I don't imagine the local residents will complain if the water gets contaminated. 
Imagine swimming downstream and then trying to explain at a dui stop

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dafey

Have you ever seen a grown man cry?

image.png.20d5cf50c2181e84eff8fe0d5c1c18f6.png

• Like 1

musicman666
Posted (edited)

Paul  will be turning in his grave ....I think this stuff was like water to him.....rip. 

Edited by musicman666

HeyMike

I think Paul was more of a Jack man. ... but still....