lamoe

Trip to Davao - day 4 & 5

lamoe
Posted (edited)

Left yesterday at 11:30  for a 2:20 flight - have had it take over  1 1/2 hours - so of course this time 40 min 

Learned a new shortcut to Mactan - always took old bridge in morning - new back - this time continued on 'behind S&R' shortcut to new bridge road - seemed much quicker - P210 + 50 for showing better route

Cebu Pacific  - no problems - have public scales in front of check-in for weight verification -

Did the 20Kg extra bag  - needed it - checked was 16.7 + 6.8 for her carry on - my computer bag weighed 13 Kg :dance2: - have 10 kg for souvenirs

Got some lunch

Boarding 30 min before flight - very quick - not full - left  5 min early - smooth flight - about 1 hour

Got white taxi - showed him GPS - he joked and said takes 2 hours - total with tip 250

Traffic much lighter

Staying at Seda - nice but not worth the money -  don't ask :tease:- room little smaller than Mandarin but better quality furniture  - - she's not happy with the housekeeping - very cleanliness conscious - 

They do have an ongoing promo - 1,020 for 5 hours (7 to 12) of unlimited wine tasting - 20 dif labels

Haven't done breakfast yet - included

Went to night market at 5:30 - learned that due to 1 way streets takes twice as long to get there than back :( - will walk 100 M to catch direct access taxi next time if we go back

The place was huge easily over 100? stalls selling food - also backed by small souvenir shops - again seemed like over 100

She had a  nice large slice of  Tuna + 2 rice - me 6 pork sticks + a larger fruit drink 260 total

Too bad Cebu doesn't have same - very crowded - puts one by Fuentes Circle to shame

Bought Davao T-shits - even I got one - stores close at 7pm

Back to hotel - drop off stuff - walk to Ayala Mall - across driveway - she did the 4-D ride - 100P - said it was fantastic - got some snacks and soda

Rainy and cloudy - what else :cry:

IMG_20190704_190154_Burst03[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3

lamoe

Got her a new phone as anniversary present  - need to adjust pixel size -

IMG_20190704_195156[1].jpg

• Like 2

BossHog
10 minutes ago, lamoe said:

They do have an ongoing promo - 1,020 for 5 hours (7 to 12) of unlimited wine tasting - 20 dif labels Haven't done breakfast yet - included

That sounds like my kind of breakfast!

• Haha 6

lamoe
Posted (edited)

Breakfast was outstanding - real bacon, Blue Cheese, even hash browns - scrambled, sunny side up and omelets (4 egg for me ) 4 dif islands

Went to People's Park - small - 20 min tops to do - we took an hour - pic taking - biggest attraction was pigeons that flock to you if you have bird food in hand - they give you free food to feed them

Tried DU30's house but closed off until Monday

Then to Japanese Tunnel 50 P - didn't know what it was at first - left over from WWII - walked in about 50 ft - turned and walked out - she stayed maybe 1/2 hour

Then China Town - it ain't - a waste - no Chinese shops or restaurants - Colon / Carbon combined with Chinese owners :sad_01:

Tomorrow will be grand tour - P3500 for all day taxi rental - see how many attractions we can do

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 4

RedRanger

Chinatown is good for buying knock off product:  That is where the street vendors buy a lot of the crap they try to sell, like sunglasses, belts, etc

You can negotiate great prices on bulk items, example the fake Oakley sunglasses if you buy like 20 you can get them for like 10 peso each.  They try to sell them on the street for like 200 to 500 pesos.

Are you going to Samal island? That pretty nice with the waterfalls and bat caves to look at.

Eden Park is alright to check out as well, it's near Toril it is in the mountains so it usually pleasant weather, they have a excellent lunch buffet with homegrown veggies

I have seen the Peoples park and tunnels, never had a desire to explore them sounds like it's not worth it.  Keep us updated

• Like 2

Edwin

There is a white water rafting trip that leaves the Crocodile Park each morning. Takes most of the day. They provide lunch. Close to the Seda Abreeza hotel is the Whitehouse restaurant. Japanese inspired. First class dining.

• Like 3

lamoe
10 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Chinatown is good for buying knock off product:  That is where the street vendors buy a lot of the crap they try to sell, like sunglasses, belts, etc

You can negotiate great prices on bulk items, example the fake Oakley sunglasses if you buy like 20 you can get them for like 10 peso each.  They try to sell them on the street for like 200 to 500 pesos.

Are you going to Samal island? That pretty nice with the waterfalls and bat caves to look at.

Eden Park is alright to check out as well, it's near Toril it is in the mountains so it usually pleasant weather, they have a excellent lunch buffet with homegrown veggies

I have seen the Peoples park and tunnels, never had a desire to explore them sounds like it's not worth it.  Keep us updated

Got a taxi for 3,500 - doing Eden and as many others on list (8 total) that we want

Got the phone on Wednesday -  had over 400 pics + vids by Friday night - not taking as many as usual :tease:

Island on Monday - noon checkout  - 9 pm flight

She didn't want a fancy sit down dinner  so went across street to 3rd floor - funky little place - squid, fish, veggies, BBQ - and a pitcure of watermelon and something else fruit drink -  less than P9,30 (senior)  + P100 tip  

IMG_20190705_194721 (640x480).jpg

• Like 2

lamoe
Posted (edited)

Had  a choice 3,000 for a taxi or 3,500 for an Ivonia SUV - went with the Ivonia - glad we did. - have contact info if anyone interested

Said he'd  be here at 8 - was here at 7:50 - off to Eden - arrive by 9 am - regular total costs are in red = with senior discount in black- approx

Noticed several Army trucks  and armed soldiers milling around - several were at the main desk - did the 'thank you for your service' - asked me where from - had USMC cover on - a civilian  - I thought  - with them said 'Mexico' when I said Chicago - turns of they were a bunch of foreign generals and such here for a conference - saw them several more time later in the day at other stops

There are a number of cabins for those who want to make whole day of it and also nature trails to walk

Buffet (11:30 / 2 pm) + guided tour - 700 ea  = 1,400  / 1,100

Tour stated at 9:30  - nice guide - several stops for pic taking (what else?)

Back at 10:30 - drive down to ride area - 2 Skybicycle- 400, 2 walking wheel 400, 2 horse ride 200 and 1 tandem skyswing 4001,400  / 895

Did the Bicycle and wheel by 11:50 - went for tandem - told lunch 12 to 1

Went for buffet - very decent - only con was 1 drink included  - extra cost for  more - 20 P lemonade  / 25 coke in a can - water free - I can see for  the coke

Back to ride area at 12:50 - 1st in line for tandem Skyswing (slingshot) decent initial rush with free-fall and bungee taking over to shoot back up and forward

Horse ride not worth it- some souvenir shopping  left by 2

Headed to Chocolate factory - there before 3 - 600 P / 540 + 450 to make own chocolate pieces (200g )Actually kind of fun - get to add own 'add-ins' - price not that bad for quality chocolate - ready for pick up at 4 pm - rest of park OK for kids

Guess which ones I made?

From there to Eagle park - 300 /  240 decent small park - meet the generals again  - same as in chocolate factory  - too bad started to rain

diver  'want to go to durian ice cream factory?' OK - bought some ice cream - cookies - candy  - 500 P worth - actually rather good - distinctive mild flavor - no smell

Back to hotel about 7:15 - bought maybe 2+ k worth of souvenirs for a total of 5+ K - say 9 K total with SUV - not bad for an 11 hour day

Had most of the fish from last night left over  - she put in mini-fridge - me, 'lets go out for dinner' - her, no my love - want to eat fish and some rice -    went to street vendor near hotel - 7 pork sticks  + 3 rice = 100P - sticks were bigger and sauce much better than anything I've had in Cebu  (except her's)

Going to use him on Monday for the island tour (4,500) and ride to airport

IMG_20190706_152445[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)

Sunday - day 4 - was a down day -she was exhausted from the sky bicycle / - general walking

I went to pool and for a several hour walk - Ayala Mall, Victoria Mall - general look see

Monday - last day

Up at 5:30  - packed night before but still stakes her several hours to get ready

SUV arrived at 8:30 (3,500 for all day)

DU30 house visit - take some pics outside - buy hats for gifts and t-shirts - actually rather inexpensive

Then back to Durian store

Crocodile park - of everything we visited this one is the best value and would probably take 3 / 5 hours if with kids - was fun

Ferry to Samal Island - P250 - 15 min

Let driver pick lunch place - very good - P620 for all 3 of us

Then to falls - rained night before so water cloudy - waaaaay down in valley - very humid - ramp and stairs but need to have decent knees / hips for hike back up :oldtimer:

Beach - rather nice - not crowded - but it was in afternoon and sun was out

Then bat cave - no Bruce  - took about 15 min - smelled like buttered popcorn when they use oil not real butter

The back to airport - got there just after 6 pm

Ate at only restaurant there on upper floor before going to boarding area - very good tasting food

Impressions of Davao

Attractions are typ - gone once don't need to go again except for the falls or  taking visitors

The general feeling is more laid back, less traffic,  than Cebu City and if you're not into nightlife it seems to offer everything Cebu does (4? major malls - several smaller) local shopping areas - on a day to day basis

BUT more condos going up

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2