Death of a Canadian Friend and St Peters Funeral Homes Help with Ashes

Headshot

When my ex's mother was cremated (yes, we waited until she was dead before we had it done), they put her into a cardboard coffin, and she went into the incinerator inside the cardboard coffin. Since St. Peter's now does cremations, you would think they would come up with a cheap coffin for that purpose (since they are fairly common around the world). But like Larry said, this is just a case of gouging.

BTW, before we got married, my wife (now) got an insurance policy from St. Peter's to cover all of the funeral costs at St. Peter's (with the exception on getting an actual grave at a cemetery). The total cost for everything, including transportation, full embalming, a nice coffin and a several day long viewing at the main St. Peter's facility in Cebu City cost 33,000 pesos. I never thought it was all that important to get one of these plans until now, but I can see now that they will totally rip you off if you wait until the person is dead before making arrangements.

• Like 2
to_dave007
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

The total cost for everything, including transportation, full embalming, a nice coffin and a several day long viewing at the main St. Peter's facility in Cebu City cost 33,000 pesos. I never thought it was all that important to get one of these plans until now, but I can see now that they will totally rip you off if you wait until the person is dead before making arrangements.

Perhaps ….   Those St Peters Package Deals are the same out here as they are in the city..  My wife purchased one for her mother (still alive) that was about the same as what you mention.  And if I compare to the expenses re my friend Neil I expect that:

1) These expenses would be INCLUDED

4,320 peso - transfer to Tuburan

7,500 peso - Embalming for 5 days @ 1,500/day

40,000 to 60,000 peso - coffin (can't remember exact)

2) I would expect these expenses may be EXCLUDED for those of us in province, as this requires a transfer to the city:

12,000 peso - transfer to city

20,000 peso - cremation

3) These expenses would for SURE be EXCLUDED:    

30,000 peso - ship ashes to Vancouver

500 - Quarantine Permit

6,000 shipping documents

Still likely a good deal to buy the package, but I don't think everything that had to be paid Re Neil would be included.

But for Neil's daughter Karen..  for sure she was negotiating at a disadvantage with St Peters..  By the time she FIRST was in contact with St Peters her fathers remains was already in St Peters hands, unrefrigerated on a hot day, and she had to negotiate everything from 9 time zones away.   

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1