03C685D9-C689-4E8F-80C5-D7A60B530721.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woolf

@Soupeod

link please

• Like 1

to_dave007

To me it's funny to see #2 (3000 for no drivers license) and #3 (10,000 for no registration) on the list.  Local police here in Tuburan seem to have radically stepped up the frequency of checkpoints, plus they do them at more random locations and seemingly any time of night and day..  and EACH and EVERY time they hold a checkpoint..  a collection of vehicles forms 50 to 100 meters back from the checkpoint in each direction as people pause there until the checkpoint is closed before continuing their trip.  It's the coast here.  so there's no way around most of the checkpoints.

I don't understand the logic.  Clearly if they REALLY wanted undocumented vehicles/drivers OFF the road..  then that group of motorists that will not go through the checkpoint is where the problem is.  But after dozens and dozens and dozens of checkpoints.. and with often 15 officers at a checkpoint..  and with these undocumented riders in full view of the officers..  STILL they never seem to go after these obvious targets.  And this dance has been going on for years now..  albeit at a MUCH higher frequency now... often 2 or 3 checkpoints a day... at random time and place.

I can only assume that they are simply trying to annoy people so much..  and make them wait by the side of the road so often..  that they will go get registered.

lamoe

#6 - bye bye 90% of the jeepnys? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha 2

Dafey
8 hours ago, Woolf said:

@Soupeod

link please

Soup's from Ormoc and I'm guessing took that photo from the local PNP office

Ormoc's mayor Richard Gomez is doing a great job in turning Ormoc into a 1st class city. My guess is in 5 years it will be one of the most progressive cities in the Philippines...if he keeps being reelected.

They are putting up speed limit signs and I have seen them with a radar gun pulling over masses of speeders, cars, bikes, commercial, you name it and giving tickets. Surprised there was no list of fines for speeding! Maybe on page 2?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cookie47

A personal opinion/observation. 

There have been a number of in depth studies in Australia regarding the social implications of fines, but particularly traffic fines on the general population.Some police in Australia make you feel like an axe murderer if your license has expired but a few days...

I digress. 

Firstly I'm not advocating no penalties for traffic infringements, far from it. I do have the study saved but it's very long and in legal jargon but I may post a link. In the meantime. The social implications of large fines on the lower social economic populous is far more serious than somebody that drives a Lamborghini or such. Single tier fines hit young and lower social economic people much more than others.I know teenagers will push the limit, but that what they do.

Studies have shown that a massive fine, or losing one's license not only impacts that individual person but can cause loss of job, thus loss if income, (which is crazy as no job no fine payment, and eventually risk of a knock on the door and a criminal record, And possibly break up of a relationship.

Please don't think I'm advocating driving under the influence of alcohol,(and drugs),,,, that offence people should be locked up. I'm just wondering if fines are the answer particularly amounts that really impact on certain areas of society which in part the reason I wrote this as the social impact in the Philippines would be much greater.

I can imagine people/members are screaming "Do the crime, pay the FINE,, and normally I would agree with this,,,, BUT. I've often thought what IS the actual reason for so many vehicles  unregistered./Unlicensed ,,,, Financial,,,,,,, Just plain stubborn, I do believe there is a naughty streak in the philipino psychy.... I just don't know ( I know as a foreigner paying for a license is peanuts, but I suppose not for a cane cutter.. And I guess tiered costing would never be accepted for locals. 

Or is it the LTOs fault making it a half day procedure which impacts on time off from work, (maybe a whole day off) , something that takes 20 minutes in Australia. (I'm referring to a renewal with picture taking.) One counter staff (of many) to do "everything". Check paperwork, take picture, eye test, pay money and go... All at the same counter... (admitted no drug test)...which if it's "lick the lolly type test is only 5 mins" 

I do agree with dav007,letting 20 or more riders sit 100mts down the road is ludicrous. without investigation. Australian Random Breath Test sites have pursuit cars just sitting with engines running to thwart this behavior. 

I  clearly understand it's probably not fair to compare Australia and the Philippines but something needs to improve. 

I have no real answer to my post but do feel (based on the studies) that a better option may be out there. What it is I don't know... 

• Like 1

Headshot

Unless they enforce the laws and apply the new penalties, then it will continue to be business as usual.

• Like 3

cookie47

Well it was only a thought based on another viewpoint/study 

wondersailor

I have often wondered , with the amount of traffic in my city and the "rules of the road be damned" attitude of drivers here, are there not more accidents ? I am comparing to the US. Yes, speeds are not as high for one. I have come to the conclusion that drivers here, for the most part, pay attention to what they doing. In the US it seems drivers are too busy with everything else but the road. I have to admit I am impressed with the skill of local Philippine drivers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Paddy
21 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I have to admit I am impressed with the skill of local Philippine drivers.

Say what?!

I accept that most local motorcycle drivers have way better vehicle control skills than I could ever attain. They’ve been on those machines since birth. 

But I dispute that they have good driving skills. They don’t have mirrors and if they do they don’t use them. Their heads never move from straight ahead unless they’ve decided to look at something to the side of the road. They don’t look far enough down the road.  They drive unnecessarily close and (in Masbate at least) ignore the rules of the road and do whatever they want. 

Most car, van and truck drivers are “better”. Their biggest failings are overtaking on blind corners and hump backed hills and not being able to follow a lane particularly well. 

Bus drivers (and we get plenty because of the ferry connections) are pretty arrogant really. The rule with busses is “get out of the way” no matter whether you have right of way (according to any sensible scheme) or not. 

We also get the “let’s not go through the checkpoint” crowds. Primarily motorcycles and tricycles but I have seen the occasional very old small truck. So lots of no or improper documentation of both drivers and vehicles. 

Lack of, or defective, equipment? Legion. There’s a 50% chance a motorbike will have no mirrors and most lights will not work.  I think it’s much the same chance for effective brakes. There’s a young lad here who takes his sister/cousin to work every day. His bike has been built from parts. It will even go in reverse. But while there is a disk on the front wheel, there is no caliper. I always thought most braking force is generated from the front. Good luck if he’s behind you and you have to stop in a hurry. 

I spoke to a PNP friend once about setting a checkpoint, waiting a while and then setting two more 200 m from the first. “Too much work” was the reply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Well it was only a thought based on another viewpoint/study 

The driving  here is akin to every other social interaction - from pushing to get on an elevator before people can get off  to pushing ahead in line to get into a mall and then standing just past guards deciding where to go blocking others coming in.

One car, one person ahead to show you have the power to do it.

The motorcycle drivers here suck - the only reason they don't get killed is that the other drivers know what AHs they are and watch out for them -  because they sure as sh!t don't watch out for anyone else.

The one rule here is 'Think of the stupidest most asinine thing they can do and be prepared for it  because they will'

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Cebuandrew
23 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I have often wondered , with the amount of traffic in my city and the "rules of the road be damned" attitude of drivers here, are there not more accidents ? I am comparing to the US. Yes, speeds are not as high for one. I have come to the conclusion that drivers here, for the most part, pay attention to what they doing. In the US it seems drivers are too busy with everything else but the road. I have to admit I am impressed with the skill of local Philippine drivers.

I feel the same way exactly. I remember driving in the U.S., and the "crazy Asian drivers" on the road. Turns out, that is just the way they drive. I call it "controlled chaos." I went through a very busy 4-way intersection today, and thinking how crazy everyone "just knew" who's turn it was. Even more crazy, I also knew my turn. And yeah, my first few years here, it did dawn on me how few accidents I saw here as compared to the U.S. On my island, at any given time, there are cows, goats, chickens, dogs, kids and drunk men in the middle of the road, yet I never see accidents. Only stories I hear are from foreigner tourists here, on their motorbike and there is a dog in the middle of the road, and they swerve to avoid it. Never do that. Aim for the dog and you will not hit it. 

• Like 2

lamoe
9 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

" I went through a very busy 4-way intersection today, and thinking how crazy everyone "just knew" who's turn it was. Even more crazy, I also knew my turn.

For small driving (by comparison) true - same in Tobegain / Inabagna

Cebu City - made the mistake when first starting to drive of letting a car go across coming out of Ayala Mall - said feck it after 5 went bumper to bumper with more behind them and those behind me started honking

There is no courtesy or politeness - in the big cities - show it and you're taken advantage of - EVERY time - from driving to walking (escalators, elevators , doors)

But then some US cities are know for their rudeness - New York is one

wondersailor

I have witnessed no road rage here. People here just takes things in stride. An excellent lesson for expats. 

Sorry, I am responsible for taking the conversation way off topic.

• Like 1

lamoe
2 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I have witnessed no road rage here. People here just takes things in stride. An excellent lesson for expats. 

Sorry, I am responsible for taking the conversation way off topic.

As has been said - come to Cebu City - becoming more prevalent - at least the long horn not short one - correct for not as is know in western cultures due to two reasons?

The first is the attitude of just accepting it when people sh!t on you (big car / truck vs little car)

The 2nd is the AH may have a gun and shoot you for simply giving him the stink eye