Salty Dog

Why Are You Living In The Philippines

Salty Dog

I think the title is self explanatory.

I know some of you have mentioned eventually moving back to your home country. Why are you still in the Philippines then? 

I assume that some are there because their wife doesn't want to leave for one reason or another. Others have moved back because of their wives. 

I lived there for 5 years in 4 different provinces. I lived in a primitive 1 room house in the mountains and a luxury condo in Cebu IT Park. I think I got a decent feel of living there. I stayed there because my wife didn't want to move to the USA. It had nothing to do with her family though. She had been living away from them since she was a teenager. It was no secret that i wanted to return to the USA. Then one day she said she would like to move to the USA. We've been here in the USA for nearly 5 years now. She is now a US citizen. She's never even wanted to go back to visit until recently. She plans to return for a month next year. So that's my short story of why I lived there. 

Please leave a discussion of politics of your home country out of this topic. If that's really why you're living in the Philippines, just say politics and leave it at that. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cebuandrew

Good question. And I think of the same question from time to time. For me, it is the "peace." Here, in the Visayas, the people are so simple and kind and nice to me. In America, everyone is hurried and rude. Sure, there are pros (cost of living, cheap fresh seafood everywhere, rent, beaches, simple, good people); and cons (3rd world country, corruption, racism on a daily basis and loss of good food on a daily level). For me, Dog, the pros far outweigh the cons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

M.C.A.
Posted (edited)

I couldn't get my legally adopted kids out while I was still active duty this was in 1994 and also the costs involved and requirements for Guam and my wife spent most of her time here so I had a choice either get divorced or join her, I now have two grandkids a little 3 year old girl and 8 year old boy my daughter is 25, and her family live with us my son he's also 25 works in Manila and my youngest adopted son has just started 8th grade.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog

@M.C.A.

I see you're living in Laguna.

My first home was in Balibago, Santa Rosa, Laguna. Not far from Enchanted Kingdom.

Santa Rosa Laguna 045 12-06-2009.JPG

• Like 2

Dafey

I was forced into retirement twice for corporate reasons and finally figured out we could live here on smaller than full pensions. As it turned out we bought the house across from where my asawa grew up! There is plenty of downside to living here but as @Cebuandrew has stated, the pros outweigh the cons.

A lot will disagree to the cost of living view but I think it depends on the conveniences that you expect/need.

If we were living in the states, 1 or both of us would have to work just to afford health insurance. Here there is pretty good medical and it's cheap. Fortunately we are both healthy, (knock on wood).

For the record, my wife brings up moving back to the US from time to time but I'm perfectly happy. And, I would miss her while she is working :yahoo: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

lamoe

To get away from being guilt tripped into being responsible for everyone most of my adult life - my fault - didn't have the balls to get out 50 years ago when I should have

Ex-wife (separated for several years but help $$$ so yearly pensions are equal), MIL for 30 years , grown daughter, grandson, etc.

If moved to a different  state may have given in

Did not have anyone specific I came to be with

We've been together now 24 of the 26  months I've lived here

Last trip back 'Come back, you and mom could watch *)(&&^ while we work'

Right - 100 deg days in summer and minus 20 in winter w/ 2 M of snow :killself:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Headshot
Posted (edited)

I live here because home is where the heart is, and my heart is with my wife and daughter. The education my daughter is receiving at the school she attends here is far superior to anything we could expect in public elementary schools in he US (and we could never afford private schools in the US). Of course, the other main reason we live here is that we own a house here. I can't afford to just walk away from that investment. Houses usually take time to sell in the Philippines (unless you want to just give them away ... and I don't). Maybe if there is another housing bubble burst in the US, that dynamic will change, and we will be able to afford homes in both countries. 

We are hoping that by the time our daughter is in sixth grade, we can sell our house and move to the US. Even with the liberal slant that has taken over the educational system in the US, I feel that secondary education in the US is still superior to secondary education in the Philippines (and there is no doubt the universities in the US are far superior to universities in the Philippines). That is primarily because most education in the Philippines is by rote, and very little independent thinking is required of students, whereas in the US secondary education is centered around students learning to think for themselves. It doesn't take you very long living in the Philippines to realize that very few Filipinos know how to make a decision. That is due to the secondary education they received. They were never taught how to think for themselves and how to make a decision. 

So yeah ... we are still planning to move, but it isn't urgent (since my daughter is only in the third grade). 

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

liquido

Only ONE reason why im living here..If I answered truthfully my post would be deleted or I would get a warning ? I guess thats why im single.

• Like 2

Dafey
2 hours ago, liquido said:

Only ONE reason why im living here..If I answered truthfully my post would be deleted or I would get a warning ? I guess thats why im single.

As long as you don't turn it into a dating thread we won't delete your post. You think you're the only one that came for the women?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

liquido
7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

As long as you don't turn it into a dating thread we won't delete your post. You think you're the only one that came for the women?

Im grateful at least that you pointed out that im a heterosexual person..

• Haha 1

smokey
Posted (edited)

I came here 2002 got married 2004 applied for K1 before we married rejected so i came back here

WE built huge house . Later 2010 we applied IR 1 was granted moved arizona. but keep this house then i had houses both countries cars both got to be too much.

We came back 2011. Then she decided to go back az we applied a SB1 approved now she is there me here watching the house..Will sell in year then back az and.just cruise USA till . My motor stops

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

user333

I'm living in the Philippines because I got married last year and it's easier to be with my wife in the PH versus her going to the States. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rizla

Simple economics for me, my pension will start in 2021, I looked for somewhere to live where I could afford to live comfortably, the UK was not even on the list.

I searched and visited various tropical Islands in Asia and the Caribbean, Cebu had everything I was seeking, 1. no winter, 2. Cheap to live, 3. the possibility of buying a property. So I bought a small house in Argao, and over the last 3 years have furnished it and had the garden laid out. The icing was finding a girl to share the place with.

Now taken early retirement so I can enjoy living here in Argao and get to travel Phils and Asia.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1