Sign in to follow this  
Soupeod

In 2020 All Disabled Vets and Caregivers Shop on Base

Soupeod

https://vetsbenefits.net/in-2020-all-disabled-vets-and-caregivers-shop-on-b-t180630.html?fbclid=IwAR1YoXtiIh9T7PLART2tVkJ8JyPCDXIC-gxrTGN6hwhRCp8gid9vZ6TCtNs

In 2020 All Disabled Vets and Caregivers Shop on Base

Not sure if this has been posted but the new budget that passed now allows for Disabled Veterans and Caregivers to shop on base and use MWR. I'm guessing 2020 because they have to figure out base access. 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... D5697D6EA9

SEC. 621. EXTENSION OF CERTAIN MORALE, WELFARE, AND RECREATION PRIVILEGES TO CERTAIN VETERANS AND THEIR CAREGIVERS.
(a) Short Title.—This section may be cited as the “Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018”.

(b) Commissary Stores And MWR Facilities Privileges For Certain Veterans And Veteran Caregivers.—

(1) EXTENSION OF PRIVILEGES.—Chapter 54 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

Ҥ 1065. Use of commissary stores and MWR facilities: certain veterans and caregivers for veterans

“(a) Eligibility Of Veterans Awarded The Purple Heart.—A veteran who was awarded the Purple Heart shall be permitted to use commissary stores and MWR facilities on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

“(b) Eligibility Of Veterans Who Are Medal Of Honor Recipients.—A veteran who is a Medal of Honor recipient shall be permitted to use commissary stores and MWR facilities on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

“(c) Eligibility Of Veterans Who Are Former Prisoners Of War.—A veteran who is a former prisoner of war shall be permitted to use commissary stores and MWR facilities on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

“(d) Eligibility Of Veterans With Service-Connected Disabilities.—A veteran with a service-connected disability shall be permitted to use commissary stores and MWR facilities on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

“(e) Eligibility Of Caregivers For Veterans.—A caregiver or family caregiver shall be permitted to use commissary stores and MWR facilities on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

“(f) User Fee Authority.— (1) The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe regulations that impose a user fee on individuals who are eligible solely under this section to purchase merchandise at a commissary store or MWR retail facility.

“(2) The Secretary shall set the user fee under this subsection at a rate that the Secretary determines will offset any increase in expenses arising from this section borne by the Department of the Treasury on behalf of commissary stores associated with the use of credit or debit cards for customer purchases, including expenses related to card network use and related transaction processing fees.

“(3) The Secretary shall deposit funds collected pursuant to a user fee under this subsection in the General Fund of the Treasury.

“(4) Any fee under this subsection is in addition to the uniform surcharge under section 2484(d) of this title.

“(g) Definitions.—In this section:

“(1) The term ‘MWR facilities’ includes—

“(A) MWR retail facilities, as that term is defined in section 1063(e) of this title; and

“(B) military lodging operated by the Department of Defense for the morale, welfare, and recreation of members of the armed forces.

“(2) The term ‘Medal of Honor recipient’ has the meaning given that term in section 1074h(c) of this title.

“(3) The terms ‘veteran’, ‘former prisoner of war’, and ‘service-connected’ have the meanings given those terms in section 101 of title 38.

“(4) The terms ‘caregiver’ and ‘family caregiver’ have the meanings given those terms in section in section 1720G(d) of title 38.”.

(2) CLERICAL AMENDMENT.—The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 54 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

“1065. Use of commissary stores and MWR facilities: certain veterans and caregivers for veterans.”.
(3) EFFECTIVE DATE.—Section 1065 of title 10, United States Code, as added by paragraph (1), shall take effect on January 1, 2020.

(4) BRIEFING REQUIRED.—Not later than October 1, 2019, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the Committees on Armed Services of the Senate and House of Representatives a briefing on the plan of the Secretary to implement section 1065 of title 10, United States Code, as added by paragraph (1).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Headshot

It is a good change. I suppose they will have to issue ID cards to those people who request use of these services. It doesn't mention base exchanges. I wonder if they are included in the benefit.

• Like 1

Jester

Under this I would qualify for use.  I do go in the stores at VA hospitals and wander around,  I see nothing that I would consider a bargain or drive across town for.

Are the on base stores worth a detour if I am near a base,  any  must buy things there?  I do not drink or smoke so alcohol and tobacco products are of no interest to me. 

• Like 1

Headshot
14 minutes ago, Jester said:

Under this I would qualify for use.  I do go in the stores at VA hospitals and wander around,  I see nothing that I would consider a bargain or drive across town for.

Are the on base stores worth a detour if I am near a base,  any  must buy things there?  I do not drink or smoke so alcohol and tobacco products are of no interest to me. 

That depends on how high state sales taxes are in the state where the base is located. You don't pay any state sales tax in any BX or commissary. Depending on the state, that could bring a savings as much as 12% (even if the prices are the same. It has been my experience that food in base commissaries has been on average a little cheaper than the local stores as well, so between tax and price the savings could definitely be worth a small detour.

Another part of the BX system is the base gas stations (where again you don't have to pay state taxes).

Edited by Headshot

bounder

But, the real question is - are all disabled vets qualified for this service, or must the vet have 30% disability or higher to qualify?  When in the states, I am over 100 miles from the nearest military facility.

lamoe
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

It is a good change. I suppose they will have to issue ID cards to those people who request use of these services. It doesn't mention base exchanges. I wonder if they are included in the benefit.

This seems to say yes also no minimum limitation on  percentage of disability to participate.

Have read that there will be an additional  5% 'User fee' on purchases

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... D5697D6EA9

SEC. 621. EXTENSION OF CERTAIN MORALE, WELFARE, AND RECREATION PRIVILEGES TO CERTAIN VETERANS AND THEIR CAREGIVERS.
(a) Short Title.—This section may be cited as the “Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018”.

(b) Commissary Stores And MWR Facilities Privileges For Certain Veterans And Veteran Caregivers.—

(1) EXTENSION OF PRIVILEGES.—Chapter 54 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

Ҥ 1065. Use of commissary stores and MWR facilities: certain veterans and caregivers for veterans

Soupeod
11 hours ago, Jester said:

The BX, PX or Navy Exchange carry all classes of items, like Sears and other stores, with a set markup price 10-20% above wholesale.  Usually cheaper with no sales tax.

MWR facilities you can rent boats, RVs and trailers for camping, also camping gear, buy guns etc... tours and more.

MWR also has hotels around the world, for example Hawaii at half the cost and a private military beach.

• Like 1

lamoe

Didn't break down by individual disability rating % -  10 to 100%

Total number of vets in 2014  was 19 million

3.8 million. The number of veterans with a service-connected disability rating in 2014. Of this number, 1.1 million had a rating of 70 percent or higher. A “service-connected” disability is one that was a result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service.

Veteran's Day 2015: Nov. 11, 2015 - Census Bureau

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2015/cb15-ff23.html

LechonBuddha

Military exchanges/commissaries have a difficult time competing with off-base retailers, especially in metro areas. I think this legislation has more to do with keeping them afloat and supplying them with new customers rather than giving vets new privileges. I've been retired twenty years and living within fifteen minutes of a base most of that time and I could count the times I've used base facilities on one hand.

I've used a couple overseas military hotels but don't find them a huge value since their rates are based on pay-grade. This, along with rather spartan rooms make them a poor bargain in my book. I wouldn't bother with them now.  Another thing, base gas stations charge about the same as the lower priced off-base stations. They  are not exempt from taxes as someone mentioned. They're there more as a convenience for the work/live on-base types.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

Yes, I would agree the base facilities are not so great a bargain as they used to be.  Even when I was active duty I would never buy computer or tech stuff from the BX because even with the sales tax savings, the pricing and tech levels trailed behind the off base retailers enough to make it a wash.  I did use the Commissary but would also make other stops at grocery stores that had better meat or produce departments.

While travelling across country we sometimes stay in Qs but it's not always possible to get a room and there are large sections of the country with no facilities.  Arriving late can be quite a hassle too because Google Maps or Waze don't always send you to the right gate depending on their closure schedule and finding food at night can be tough.  Finding your way back out the gate to get food and then back can be a real chore.