Lordblacknail

Info On One Way Ticket

Lordblacknail

My wife just asked me a question I had no idea how to answer except for a logical response. But logic and the Philippines have nothing to do with each other. She is a dual citizen and she asked me if I thought we would have any problems with leaving on a one way ticket. I said of course not, why would we? But then I remembered where we live right now. Anybody left for the US on a one way ticket? Any issues if you did?

SkyMan

She and your daughter have immigrant visas right? Should be no problem. 

Lordblacknail

no, Skyman, both hold US passports and Philippine passports

SkyMan
38 minutes ago, Lordblacknail said:

Then even more of a non problem.

Paddy

A one way ticket is only a problem if the destination country is one for which the traveler does not hold a valid passport. 

Even then, the visa conditions might allow a one way ticket to be used. 

The common scenario for the problem is a non-Philippines passport holder arriving here on a Tourist Visa. The visa conditions require an onward ticket. Two one way tickets - one to the Philippines and one out of the Philippines, or a return ticket satisfy that condition.  However, a traveler might have to convince a check in agent that the onward ticket a) exists and b) satisfies the condition BEFORE they can fly to the Philippines. 

When I came here for good last year, I researched the price of one way tickets (at entry I would still have needed an onward ticket) because I knew I wasn’t going to return to Canada any time soon. Cost effective one way tickets (from Canada at least) were like rocking horse poo. 

RedRanger
12 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

No issues at all if going to either country

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

A one way ticket is only a problem if the destination country is one for which the traveler does not hold a valid passport. 

Even then, the visa conditions might allow a one way ticket to be used. 

There is another cause for concern in that RP immigration might not allow a Filipina to depart on a one way ticket but if she has an immigrant visa and a CFO certification she should have no problem.  And in this case with US passports, no problem at all.  I actually don't know if my wife could fly to the US on a one way ticket.  She's been several times but always on r/t.  The US wouldn't care but the RP might.  I would think having been there several times she'd be ok but that would be using dangerous logic.

Daddle

And the airlines have their own rules. Sometimes easier to just buy a $30 'burner' ticket than argue at checkin. Or a refundable ticket from an airline in your banking country. I have secured the refund while waiting at security 5 minutes after checking in...heh.

My filipina wife (PI passport) was required to prove a round trip by the agent at MNL. Was never asked after that by anyone anywhere. So who knows?

Headshot

It is a moot point since the OP's wife and daughter are both dual citizens of the US and the Philippines. No RT or onward tickets are necessary.