Sign in to follow this  
Soupeod

2 more boys in Iloilo die of dengue

Soupeod

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1073566

2 more boys in Iloilo die of dengue

ILOILO CITY -- The province of Iloilo has recorded an additional two deaths due to dengue, the Provincial Health Office (PHO) reported.

The latest two fatalities were both five-year-old boys from the town of Cabatuan and Lambunao.

Both the victims died on June 23 but the PHO said it has yet to receive the death certificate from Lambunao.

As of June 23, the dengue death toll in the province has climbed to 20.

The previous deaths recorded included one each from Passi City on June 18 and Concepcion and Sara towns on June 19.

Dengue cases meanwhile climbed to 3, 702 as of June 22, from 3, 202 cases from June 19.

In a press conference on Thursday, Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. said he already instructed the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Council (PDRRMC) to gather dengue data for 10 days starting June 27.

He said the data is meant to show the trend in the rise of dengue cases and will serve as the basis for the need to declare a state of calamity.

“I told the PDRRMC to wait for another 10 days to monitor the rise (of dengue cases). After 10 days, the PDRRMC will meet again and let’s find out if there’s a need for us to declare a part of the province or the entire province under the state of calamity,” he said.

In the event that certain towns or the entire province will be put under a state of calamity due to dengue, Defensor has assured that the province is ready with necessary needs such as IV fluids and medicines, including the number of doctors to take care of the patients.

Dr. Maria Socorro Colmenares-Quiñon, Iloilo provincial health officer, on Friday reiterated the PHO’s call for the public to intensify the fight against dengue.

Locals are urged to regularly clean-up their surroundings and destroy the breeding places of mosquitoes. (PNA)

• Like 1

Headshot

Dengue Fever is one of the top killers in this country. I have known several people (mostly kids) who have died of Dengue and many more who got Dengue but recovered. Dengue is an equal opportunity disease. Anybody, of any age, who can be bitten by a Dengue mosquito, can catch the disease. There are four strains of Dengue Fever, and if you catch one and recover, then you are immune to that strain ... but you are even more susceptible to the effects of the other strains. Those who get Dengue more than once (at least two different strains) are much more likely to die from it, even though it is possible to die from the first exposure as well.

Dengue usually kills by causing internal bleeding, but it can have other effects as well. It mostly attacks the cardio-vascular system, and your blood vessels, liver, kidneys and heart are all susceptible to damage. When I got Dengue Fever in 2015, my heart was severely damaged, causing both ventricle chambers (those in the bottom of the heart) to stop pumping blood. The only thing that kept me alive until I was able to get a heart device (Boston Scientific CRT-D) implanted was the fact that my atrial chambers (those in the top of the heart) continued to pump blood, forcing the blood through my entire system. Any more damage and I wouldn't be here today.

It has changed my life in ways that I could never have imagined before I was bitten on the ankle by a tiny mosquito in the Mandaue Police Station (yes, I know exactly when I was bitten and where). I have learned a lot about the disease since then, but knowledge doesn't really protect you. Using mosquito repellent might help protect you, but only if you are constantly vigilant in its application. You never know when you will encounter mosquitoes, and the mosquitoes that carry Dengue are tiny, don't cause any pain when they bite, and are difficult to see because they usually fly (and bite) within a foot of the ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

liquido
15 hours ago, Headshot said:

The only thing that kept me alive until I was able to get a heart device (Boston Scientific CRT-D) implanted was the fact that my atrial chambers (those in the top of the heart) continued to pump blood, forcing the blood through my entire system. Any more damage and I wouldn't be here today.

Where did you have that procedure done?

Headshot
1 hour ago, liquido said:

Where did you have that procedure done?

Salt Lake City, Utah. I needed to have it covered by Tricare, so I went to a known heart institute in the US. Tricare is terrible in their coverage in the Philippines ... but that's another story. The procedure isn't cheap, and if I had the doctors here would have implanted the device, I would have ended up footing the whole bill because of Tricare's rules, which Philippine doctors neither know about nor care about. It would have broken the bank for me. It was much cheaper to go to the US.

• Thanks 1