Sign in to follow this  
Goetz1965

Recommendation needed for Water testing and small filter system

Goetz1965

Since moving in our new home 2 month ago I feel that I have diarrhea more often than before.
We're not on MWCD but use a deep well that supplies tapwater for about 20 families. 
And we use a different drinking water delivery now to.

As I dont like to just complain the landlord (Chinese) I first like to test my tap water myself - but from your experiences what lab can I use to get reliable results here in Cebu-City?
How much will that cost and how much water do they need ? Can I just use a empty 500ml waterbottle for the sample ?

After the test - and the results - is there a not too big and not too expensive water purification system that is safe?
Lazada has a lot cheap ones, but I like to be sure it filters out whats bad for me if theres anything in it.

Dafey

I'm not an expert...but the research that I've done suggests that the top water filtration today is reverse osmosis which is a 5 filter system. These filters are replaceable.

The problem is I did some rough math and it would take over 40 years to pay for this convenience. Personally I use a reliable water filler that delivers and stackes the bottles for me. They have their water treatment tested weekly.

Headshot

MCWD has a water testing lab up by Family Park in Banilad. I'm not certain. but I believe they will test water from wells.

As far as filtration systems are concerned, you can buy filters from Ace A 5 micron filter will remove most water-borne critters, but some require a 1 micron filter. A water test should let you know what you need to be filtering out of your water. When I was running a well, I used three filters ... a 20 micron filter to remove sediments, a 5 micron filter for most critters and a 1 micron filter for anything else ... all in-line. Now that I am on MCWD water, we still use the filters (because MCWD water is notorious for being intermittently contaminated due to leaks in their pipes).

• Like 2

Paddy

Water testing is never a bad idea as is filtration / treatment for well water if you can organize / pay for it. 

However, if you’ve moved in the last 2 months it might just be a change of water and your body just needs to get used to it. 

If the other 20 families suffer the same (and have lived there and used the well for a long time), then there probably is something wrong. If they’re not suffering, you might just need a little more time. 

• Like 2

Raven

Maybe this will work!!! Anyone knows?

Ozone-Generator-Air-Purifier-For-Water-T

Banacon

When we go back to our house on the island, the in laws purchase a couple 5 gallons of drinking water. When I test the water, it's high 160 PPM, same as our well water. I use a 5 filter reverse osmosis system. I took out the akalyne filter and put in another charcoal out filter. Would prefer to have a UV filter, but none yet. Bought it in usa and sent by BB box.reduces well water to 12 PPM, not to say it is totally safe, but we dont have shittt issues. Most filters you can buy in cebu.

• Thanks 1

Goetz1965

My first guess is the tap water from the well. 
And if its contaminated with bacteria I need to jnow which one and which filter to buy.

So from all comments, no one has ever tested water himself and can recommend one of the labs here?

to_dave007

In my municipality there is one lady who is tasked with testing water quality whenever asked.  She collects the samples and sends them off to city for testing which takes a week.  She tests wide variety of water sources, including municipal and private, river water, rainwater and more.  Your municipality likely has such a person as well.. Just have to find him (or her).

I had the water in my deep well tested.  It's potable.  Or at least it was that day.  I think it cost 100 peso at the time.

BTW/.. potable water usually requires 5 micron and 1 micron filters plus some people would insist on ultra violet treatment as well. 

Edited by to_dave007

Jawny

A google search for water testing facilities in Cebu generated several places that test water.  

I use water from three sources.  Only one do I drink...bottled water from a reputable supplier.  By reputable, I mean a bottler that has a facility I can watch the process if I want, see the posted testing results etc.  

I use my own well water for household purposes, not drinking.  

I use community water for gardening.

I would not want to install any sort of filtration system in my home for getting drinkable water.  The likelihood of having suppliers out of stock is too great.  Thus, I rely upon bottled water suppliers.  

Soupeod
5 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

My first guess is the tap water from the well. 
And if its contaminated with bacteria I need to jnow which one and which filter to buy.

So from all comments, no one has ever tested water himself and can recommend one of the labs here?

I have had water tested in the States for Ecoli and Nitrates.  Here I would add feces to that list.

Jawny

The presence of E Coli is an indicator that animal waste has entered the water source.  

• Thanks 1

Soupeod
23 hours ago, Jawny said:

The presence of E Coli is an indicator that animal waste has entered the water source.  

Thanks I didn't know that. :)

Goetz1965

For the testing I asked at MCWD if I can test at their lab in Talamban. Answer is YES and it costs 500php.

Contact MCWD Laboratory at (32) 254-84-34, press 9, press local number 801 - they will tell you to first go to the MCWD main building and pay the 500php at floor 4 (the agent you call). They will also supply you with a bottle for the test sample.
After that you can fill the test sample and go to the lab in talamban to get it tested - it will take about 5 days.

Maybe other labs are faster or cheaper - but as MCWD is responsible for Metro Cebus water I hope that they do more propper testing than labs that are just commercialized

Edited by Goetz1965
  • Like 1

SkyMan

I think all the bottled water places are required to have periodic testing so I imagine they could tell you how to get a test done.

• Like 2

RR3

I buy Nature's Spring 80p a gallon. 20p gallon water keeps me always thirsty :drink:

• Like 1