david2019usa

Things To Do In Cebu

david2019usa

I am new to Cebu and have been here less than 1 year.

I started a group online to do activities in Cebu, like a friend making social club.

I need to find activities / events that have general interest and are affordable. For example, karaoke is cheap and 6 people can go at once.

Some of the ones I have already added are movies, waterparks, karaoke, and I have found museums, botanical gardens, etc.

Can anyone give me a very specific list of services or locations that match the following:

- affordable by an average Cebu resident who might not be employed, or something where 1 expat can pay for everyone without it being a crazy price

- beaches, easy to get to, cheap, not far

- tourist services for groups such as 2 to 8 people where you pay a low rate, for example being on a bus with 40 strangers to get the low rate (most places I found you have to pay for the whole vehicle), or a vehicle that is not crazy overpriced. 

- popular restaurants, inexpensive. something that people can afford and yet are really worth visiting like meals under 300p.

- dance classes, exercise classes, etc where you can bring a group of 2 to 8 people just for 1 class and mixed with other people who might not be from your group (to save cost), or public free dance or exercise classes

thanks

Dafey

Hi David, Welcome to the Forum

Are you living in Cebu City? What brought you here? Do you already have a network of friends in the city?

• Like 1

david2019usa
7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Hi David, Welcome to the Forum

Are you living in Cebu City? What brought you here? Do you already have a network of friends in the city?

I know some people from work related stuff. I started a group so I could do activities I enjoy and hopefully people who like to do the same will join. it is growing slowly, like 2 people per day.

Dafey

Neat. Have you been to Cebu or are you planning on visiting?

Headshot

Welcome to LinC Forums David. A great place for you to start in making quality friends in the Cebu metro area is the Cebu Expats Dinner Club. Once each month the club meets at different restaurants (mostly top-tier buffets in the better hotels). The club consists of expats from many different countries, but there are sizeable contingents from the US, UK, the EU and Australia. English is the common language, but you will hear other languages spoken as well. Most of the members are married, but there are also those who bring GF's or dates. It is a great place to meet people who have good values, if that is something you are interested in. If you are interested, I will ask one of the staff to get you in touch with me so I can give you the details.

david2019usa

I will read about the expat dinner club. thanks

david2019usa

I am getting emails about people talking about EU countries, but  I do not see them in the thread.

shadow
7 hours ago, david2019usa said:

I am getting emails about people talking about EU countries, but  I do not see them in the thread.

This is not a thread about EU countries, some posts were hidden for being off topic.

• Haha 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

Passed a jeepney loaded full as he went very slowly down the big hill in TransCentral into Balamban..  I had to stop in Balamban so he passed me and apparently headed north..  until I saw him turn into a resort.  This was on a Friday..  so this was a full jeepney load from the city headed to beach resort for the weekend.  Lots of places have family sized roms or rooms for 8 to 10..  jyust have to look for them.

LOT of inexpensive resorts outside of city if you go looking for them.

Formosa resort in Tuburan offers Glamour Camping (glamping) weekends..  imagine a tent.. next to the pool.. with a martini (BYO). 

spring fed Molobolo in Tuburan is a popular weekend swim spot.

The island is crisscrossed by narrow roads, and bike tracks, and trails.. that are excellent for walking and hiking. Try the Osmena peak hike.  Plus I've seen cyclists all over the island.

Is the Hash Harriers walking club based at the old Banilad Sports club still around?

Learn where the Ceres bus and the V-hire vans go.  If you haven't been to north bus terminal and south bus terminal and ayala v-hire terminal..  then go.  Several options to get from city to Tuburan for < 200 peso.  Take the bus and stay at a hostel in Negros and hike Canlaon volcano for a long weekend. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2019 at 8:05 AM, david2019usa said:

something where 1 expat can pay for everyone without it being a crazy price

On 6/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, david2019usa said:

it is growing slowly, like 2 people per day.

No doubt if the foreigner will pay, then it should grow quickly, plus you'll have lots of great ideas for exciting social activities from your helpful members... plus lots of ideas for restaurants under 300 peso.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Ozepete

The thing we most like to do when in Cebu is get out of the City and wander around the provinces. Good scenery and people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kreole

The reality is that there is absolutely nothing of interest to do in Cebu.  Like most of the ugly cities in the Philippines it provides next to no public parks or spaces.  Aside from that, the traffic is so jammed up that going anywhere in the city is just a pain in the ass and it is just going to get worse since the city administration is so corrupt that they approve any high rise buildings that compound the population density without ever improving the roads and infrastructure.  I assume Manila is worse, but just marginally.  Add to that the pollution which invades every corner and makes swimming in any area fraught with serious health risk.  Streams and rivers are just sewers. 

If you think that going to mega malls is something to do, then you will be right at home with the rest of the crowds whose favorite recreation is window shopping and promenading between floors and around in circles.  Although this is a negative perception, it is honestly my experience and the reason I live on a small island far enough from Cebu not to catch the downstream flow of pollution.   Simply put, Cebu has absolutely no redeeming qualities and is one of the most degraded metropolitan cities I have ever seen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Jester
Posted (edited)

The one thing I found in Cebu I enjoyed was the spanish fort.    Then of course there is risking life and limb to sit in the wonderful little Osmenia circle and enjoy the flowers and trees and bask in the delightful exhaust soot.  Cebu has some good points but except for Manila is the worst place I have ever been.

If you say this around people that live there, they get really offended but can off no suggestions for things to do. 

Edited by Jester
  • Like 3

BossHog
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I assume Manila is worse, but just marginally.

Manila has a hell of a lot more going for it than Cebu. There's so much to do, see, and experience. The only redeeming factor of Cebu is that it's a good transit hub to get to the rest of the Philippines.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1