Boss Ross

We recently had 2 split a/c's installed so we can cool our whole house. When they had them all installed they checked the voltage too our house before they turned the 2.5 hp on. They found there was only 213 volts available to our house. With the 2.5 hp running, there was only 190 available when checked at that a/c. When they went to the 1.5 hp a/c they found there was only 180 v available. This means I can not run both of my a/c's because the voltage will go too low and damage my 1.5 hp a/c. Has anyone else had a similar voltage problem and what did you do to fix it? I have been told by the electrician that the problem is in VECO transformer being too far away. VECO does not seem to want to do anything about it maybe because there is only one customer affected by it since we live in the province mountains where the only other a/c is a couple window a/c's.

Thanks in advance for any and all constructive comments!

Ross

Jawny

I have a similar problem, with fluctuating and low voltage.  I do not use air conditioning and the only appliances using much power are an electric oven and refrigerator.  I use voltage regulars or backup power supplies for computer stuff.

The only solution I considered,  but abandoned, was to install a transformer along the nearby power supply lines (around 100 meters distant). 

Given the limited power needs I had, the expense was not worth it.

From your description I’d guess you could have a transformer installed for your exclusive use if VECO allows that.

• Like 2

oztony
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

From your description I’d guess you could have a transformer installed for your exclusive use if VECO allows that.

Two guys I know (neighbours) had their own transformers installed to ensure the correct supply to their property , 

• Like 3

Headshot
27 minutes ago, oztony said:

Two guys I know (neighbours) had their own transformers installed to ensure the correct supply to their property , 

That will work, but the customer will be required to not only pay for the transformer, but also any extension of the primary lines to supply them and any poles that need to be set to establish proper clearances. Of course, if there are already primary lines available at the location for the new transformer, then they will only be responsible for the cost of the transformer (and pole ... if additional height is needed to fit a transformer on the pole).

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, oztony said:

When my neighbor's house was being built he was told he had to have a dedicated transformer for the welding so VECO put one up and he had to pay something for the rent.  After the house was done he called and said he didn't need it anymore so they stopped charging the rent but the transformer is still there with only him connected to it.

A German friend of mine wanted his house wired in the German standard 3 phase set up so he had VECO put up 3 transformers.  Not sure why he needed that but I'm guessing the cost isn't too high.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

Paddy

Not VECO but our drop wire (220-240V) is directly connected to 2 wires of a 3 wire line that comes 2+ km up the track from the highway. I have no idea where our transformer is but I’m fairly certain there are none in the village. 

If there is a higher voltage line close to the OP, there should be no problem adding another transformer. However, if his situation is like ours it might end up being a really, really long drop wire!

• Like 1