Rexsmith

wedding ring

Rexsmith

I friend asked me about wedding rings. How much to pay and where to buy etc. I have no clue about this sort of thing. Is buying in the US any cheaper or wiser?  I read one is expected to spend two or three months salary. But that was likely written by the folks who sell them. Any suggestions that I can pass on?

• Haha 1

Davaoeno

For me anything less than 1M  Php is an insult to the woman .

That's less than 20K usd !!!

• Haha 1

lamoe
30 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

:ROFLMAO: I actually spent more - almost 6 months  pay - about $600 :shocked:

https://www.femalenetwork.com/bridalbook/articles/guide-engagement-rings-etiquette-a00213-20190331-lfrm

https://www.financialsamurai.com/the-new-rule-for-engagement-ring-buying/

An alternative - if she's willing - is to set a price range and shop the pawn shops

• Like 1

to_dave007
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Mine couldn't afford 1M.. so I settled for something much less ostentatious.

• Like 1

Dafey
4 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

I friend asked me about wedding rings. How much to pay and where to buy etc. I have no clue about this sort of thing. Is buying in the US any cheaper or wiser?  I read one is expected to spend two or three months salary. But that was likely written by the folks who sell them. Any suggestions that I can pass on?

Just don't. No really....just don't!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)

Why would anybody (in their right mind) listen to a recommendation that is essentially a marketing ploy by the jewelry industry? If you want to buy wedding/engagement rings, then spend whatever you feel you can easily afford. Nobody should ever put themselves into debt over jewelry. If you don't think rings are necessary as a show of commitment, then don't spend anything. Many married people in the Philippines wear no wedding rings. It isn't really an Asian custom.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

Davaoeno
15 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Mine couldn't afford 1M.. 

Oh I didnt make my wife pay for it !

I paid for it myself. 

( and it sure as hell didnt cost any 1M hehe)

Just now, Headshot said:

Why would anybody (in their right mind) listen to a recommendation that is essentially a marketing ploy by the jewelry industry? If you want to buy wedding/engagement rings, then spend whatever you feel you can easily afford. Nobody should ever put themselves into debt over jewelry. If you don't think rings are necessary as a show of commitment, then don't spend anything.

I agree!  A nice set of crotchless panties can be just as effective in keeping a marriage healthy!

• Haha 6

Dafey

Does she love you....or the ring?

• Like 4

BossHog
Posted (edited)

A respectable pair of  golden bands might set you back 50,000 pesos. Lot of variables there but just a ballpark figure.

Diamonds aren't really the done thing here for most folks.

PS. Don't take your fiancee to a fucking pawnshop for rings unless you're trying to drop her.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

Paddy

My experience is that to the average lady around here, gold is rainy day savings. “Proper” gold that is. Do not buy 10 or 14 carat gold in the US because it won’t be looked on as “real”. 

Several years ago my partner bought an inexpensive set of couples rings. I wear mine as a wedding band and I value it because she bought it (and I definitely did not provide the cash!)

Take a look at the rings of the other ladies in her family. If they’re all wearing 1M peso rings, you’ve got a Davaoeno sized problem. Otherwise, buy what you can afford but do buy “proper” gold. 

• Like 3

lamoe
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

My experience is that to the average lady around here, gold is rainy day savings. “Proper” gold that is. Do not buy 10 or 14 carat gold in the US because it won’t be looked on as “real”. 

Several years ago my partner bought an inexpensive set of couples rings. I wear mine as a wedding band and I value it because she bought it (and I definitely did not provide the cash!)

Take a look at the rings of the other ladies in her family. If they’re all wearing 1M peso rings, you’ve got a Davaoeno sized problem. Otherwise, buy what you can afford but do buy “proper” gold. 

Also not Chinese gold  

smokey
20 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Ha ha ha well i spent over 1 million peso but divided by 3 wives. 

• Haha 2

smokey

Dont buy a ring buy a condo better value

• Like 2

lamoe
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, smokey said:

Ha ha ha well i spent over 1 million peso but divided by 3 wives. 

Same  for 30th anniversary

Had $600 one resized for her  little finger

As has been said - not the cost - it's the sentiment

Edited by lamoe