Codetrader

US Citizen Married to Filpino - Living in USA

Codetrader

Hi, I am thinking about spending a few months in the Phils. Any idea what type of Visa I will need. Wife will be here in America.

RogerDuMond

You don't need a visa before arrival from the U.S. as a U.S, citizen. You will be issued a tourist visa on arrival which you will renew at the bureau of immigration.

Codetrader

Thank you Roger. Is that done monthly do you know? I was hoping that the process would be less cumbersome because of my Filipino Spouse. Can I get that taken cared of in Cebu

RogerDuMond

You can get 30 day or 60 day, and I believe 6 month. Don't quote me though because I am on an immigrant visa and have never had a tourist visa except when I came here to get married in 1993.

lamoe
43 minutes ago, Codetrader said:

Thank you Roger. Is that done monthly do you know? I was hoping that the process would be less cumbersome because of my Filipino Spouse. Can I get that taken cared of in Cebu

11 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

You can get 30 day or 60 day, and I believe 6 month. Don't quote me though because I am on an immigrant visa and have never had a tourist visa except when I came here to get married in 1993.

Visas here come in 1, 2, and 6 months -

Needed 4 months to tide me over till next visit back home  - got the 6 rather than two 2's

Can get as many as you want (without going over 3 yr limit?) - just not on same day  separate trip for each one - that's at J Mall - not sure of other locations

That's how I qualified for 1 yr to get drivers license

Dafey

Welcome to the forum Codetrader

When you arrive they automatically give you a 30 day stamp in your Passport. Before they do that you can ask for a 59 day visa and they 'should' send you to another desk to accomplish that. Often the Immigration staff is not up to speed or just trying to be mean but don't sweat it. Smile, take the 30 day stamp and go to Jmall for your extension...not worth arguing with the staff.

If you travel with your pinay wife she will be given a Balakbyan stamp and the same courtesy will be extended to you which is 1 year in the Philippines for no charge. However, this is only if your wife is with you.

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Codetrader said:

Hi, I am thinking about spending a few months in the Phils. Any idea what type of Visa I will need. Wife will be here in America.

Seems like you have time so you can save some money and hassle getting a Visa from the embassy in the US before coming. Can be done by mail. That will give you 59 days from arrival before you need to extend.  Cost is $30 plus mail both ways. 

2 hours ago, Dafey said:

If you travel with your pinay wife 

6 hours ago, Codetrader said:

Wife will be here in America.

Edited by SkyMan

RedRanger
7 hours ago, Dafey said:

Welcome to the forum Codetrader

When you arrive they automatically give you a 30 day stamp in your Passport. Before they do that you can ask for a 59 day visa and they 'should' send you to another desk to accomplish that. Often the Immigration staff is not up to speed or just trying to be mean but don't sweat it. Smile, take the 30 day stamp and go to Jmall for your extension...not worth arguing with the staff.

If you travel with your pinay wife she will be given a Balakbyan stamp and the same courtesy will be extended to you which is 1 year in the Philippines for no charge. However, this is only if your wife is with you.

In Manila there is a office to your right that says Immigration Bureau you can' miss it, it's pretty big. It is right before they stamp your passport on your initial entry.

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

In Manila there is a office to your right that says Immigration Bureau you can' miss it, it's pretty big. It is right before they stamp your passport on your initial entry.

@Codetrader  Do yourself a favor and don't fly to Manila unless that is where you plan to go.  Plenty of airlines fly to Cebu without a layover in Manila.

• Like 2

Codetrader

All you guys are terrific. Thanks a lot for the insights and help. Any of you live at Cebu and meet up for coffee or happy hours?