JohnSurrey

Tertiary Education Scholarships - CHED and UNIFAST?

JohnSurrey
Posted (edited)

Anyone familiar with these ?

I've had a look online and general requirements seems to be:

CHED  -  1 If you are from a poor family (< 300,000 php), Barangay Cert Indigenous, no previous degree course, no other scholarship, and have grades over 90% (ish) - you can get 60,000 pa - payable in 2 lots of 30,000 php

CHED  - 2 If you are from a poor family (< 300,000 php), Barangay Cert Indigenous, no previous degree course,  no other scholarship, and have grades over 80% (ish) - you can get 30,000 pa - payable in 2 lots of 15,000 php

UNIFAST - If you are from a poor family (< 300,000 php), Barangay Cert Indigenous, no previous degree course, and have grades over 85% (ish) - you can get 40,000 pa - payable in one lump sum

For CHED seems the first amount of cash comes through around Xmas time (4-6 months after start of course) and then again circa April/May.

For UNIFAST I'm told it's earlier... but not sure when etc.

Anyone have any input?

Edited by JohnSurrey
  • Like 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

Good subject.  Would also like to know more.

Wife's brother (indigent) gets free tuition to state university..  but no cash.. and not available at private university..  and no minimum grades requirement. Obviously a different program

Edited by to_dave007

Jawny

The private university nearby to my home offers free tuition to all students. I have a child going to university (private) with free tuition  Visayas State University.  

The programs referred to by the OP are for indigenous members of the population.  I thought the income levels were ₽150000 or less.  Never heard of a ₽300000 limit which is around the amount many wage earners get.    

JohnSurrey

I'll keep you posted if anything comes of it...

Essentially one of my nieces who just finished her 4 year Degree at a private college heard about the CHED thing in her last year - and got the 60k php for her 4th year paid after she had finished the course - with good grades - how much fiddling was done by the College to achieve that I don't know.

Another one of our nieces, in her 2nd year, has applied for CHED (probably in the pipeline) and has now been advised, by a teacher at the private college she attends as a working student, to apply for the UNIFAST too .

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jawny said:

The private university nearby to my home offers free tuition to all students. I have a child going to university (private) with free tuition  Visayas State University.

Jawny..  are you sure that Visayas State University is private?  That free tuition program your child gets sounds exactly the same as the one my young brother-in-law attends..  and I THOUGHT this was ONLY available for state owned universities..

BTW..  looked up Visayas State University to write this and it sounds like a beautiful place to visit...   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visayas_State_University

Edited by to_dave007

to_dave007
5 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

I'll keep you posted if anything comes of it...

Essentially one of my nieces who just finished her 4 year Degree at a private college heard about the CHED thing in her last year - and got the 60k php for her 4th year paid after she had finished the course - with good grades - how much fiddling was done by the College to achieve that I don't know.

Another one of our nieces, in her 2nd year, has applied for CHED (probably in the pipeline) and has now been advised, by a teacher at the private college she attends as a working student, to apply for the UNIFAST too .

John..  your information here is very interesting.  You can be 100% sure that my wife and my brother-in-law will be looking into this.  Could be a nice boost for the young guy.  Will post anything we learn back to this thread..  Not sure his marks were good enough LADT year, but this may give him special incentive for the coming year.\

Question..  from what you know..  can this be applied for on ANY year of a 4 year program,?  Can it be applied for just once? or for each year?  I assume just once?  .  

BossHog
17 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Indigenous

13 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

indigent

Agreed it's a good discussion but also perhaps there's some confusion about the above two words.

Indigenous scholarships are meant for those of a specific racial background. The Negritos and so on.

Indigent refers to the limited financial means of the supporting family involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

to_dave007
5 hours ago, BossHog said:

Agreed it's a good discussion but also perhaps there's some confusion about the above two words.

Indigenous scholarships are meant for those of a specific racial background. The Negritos and so on.

Indigent refers to the limited financial means of the supporting family involved.

VERY important distinction.