Tony67

I'm coming to Cebu for a 3 week vacation.  Anyone know of some reasonable car rental places?  I'm looking for something like an Innova Van for an older Fortuner.  Some of the agencies on line are fairly steep.  Don't really want to drop $1000 on a rental.  Any advice?  I have a large family to tote around.

Jester
Posted (edited)

Car rental.  Expensive!  Traffic is horrible,  if there is an accident you are automatically at fault. 

OK, you are young with quick reflexes so you can get used to the chaos and avoid accidents. The locals are pretty good at avoiding accidents so the odds of having one are rather small.  But you are still at fault if you are near one. 

THERE IS NO PLACE TO PARK!   30 room hotels with no parking spots or 4 spots out front.   Stores and eatery's and bars with no place to park!

Rent a car with driver,  cheaper, safer, better!  They can find places to park or drive around until summoned.  

Only my opinion and worth what you are paying for it.  

Edited by Jester
  • Like 7

lamoe

What he said - rent a driver - take  a Jeepny - walk

The big malls have spaces, same with large big box stores - Landers, S&R, 

The bigger stores in Colon Area also have parking - size of a 7/11 lot back in states - very small compared to what's and that's it

It is very common here to get a big car / truck - like you want -  and license without knowing how to drive - that is not a joke

The main thing to understand is that they don't use turn signals , will make a left hand turn from right hand lane, take 2 lanes to make a turn - cross straight over 6 lanes (Fuentes Circle)  - no one pays attention especially motorcycles and even people crossing street.

• Like 3

Ozepete

We always use 'Safe Ride' car rentals, they are terrific to deal with, and I must say that Cebu drivers are very good, they have all missed me somehow!

We usually stay at Montebello or Bayview and always lots of parking spaces there, but other city areas are difficult.  We usually travel out of the city to other parts of the island so having a car to ourselves for that is great. 

• Like 3

smokey

I know of a place where they rent you a large van with driver much safer and you really dont need it everyday unless your going to play bill gates to the family i will get phone if interested

• Like 3

easy44

A van with a driver is the best solution. Use it for going out of town or for all day excursions. For point to point travel, a taxi is cheaper and convenient. Just rent the van when you need it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
4 hours ago, Ozepete said:

We always use 'Safe Ride' car rentals, they are terrific to deal with, and I must say that Cebu drivers are very good, they have all missed me somehow!

We usually stay at Montebello or Bayview and always lots of parking spaces there, but other city areas are difficult.  We usually travel out of the city to other parts of the island so having a car to ourselves for that is great. 

https://www.saferide.ph/

8 Hours with Driver

Car or Van Rental with driver to customer who would like to make trips in and around the city.

Price from

PHP 3,000

10 Hours with Driver

Car Rental with driver to customer who would like to make trips in and around the city.

Price from

PHP 3,500

8 Hours SUV with Driver

SUV Rental with driver to customer who would like to make trips in and around the city.

• Like 1

lamoe

Staying at a hotel?

If so then can ask front desk for other choices

cookie47

Hi,, Been here full time over 12 months, Previous visitor for many many years. 

Have seriously wanted a car or whatever. 

You know what, We have a neibour that has a new High Ace 12 seat official tourist vehicle,,, Go Anywhere asked on Cebu Island. 

Picks us up at the door in Consolacion drives my wife and I to Daanbantaan my wife birth town, Does as many stops as we want, Cemetery, Municipal office, Jolly bee, Auntie, etc, etc. Etc. 

Return home around 4.0pm (depending on traffic). 

Sometimes the traffic is horrible, not bad after Sogod. 

Cost P4000. Sounds expensive, no,,, best  money ever spent. No stress, (I'm 72) and drove in Australia for 48 years,Hes also a great driver that i can sleep. 

As others have said Just think about it.

Yes I'm all for having a nice 4wd,but is it worth it, yes for the freedom sure, otherwise?. 

If your young and adventurous go for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tony67

Thanks for all the inputs, greatly appreciated...  I lived there for 18 months and drove daily around the city so I'm well aware of the concerns.  If anyone has a van to rent let me know