Sign in to follow this  
Rexsmith

custom roms for smart phones

Rexsmith

Firstly I am not a tech type guy so please don't tell me it is easy and suggest I do it myself. I am looking to buy a Xiaomi phone don't like the software that comes with Xiaomi phones. I read one can download other software, ROMs, I think they are called. I have seen Youtube explaining how to do it. Beyond my capability.

I would rather just pay some young skilled guy to do it. Anyone have any experience at this? Where can I go to have this done? Cebu City. Thanks

Soupeod

Rom is a read only memory chip and not software.

you can re-root (program) a Rom chip... i.e. via software to your operating system of choice.

JohnSurrey
9 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

Firstly I am not a tech type guy so please don't tell me it is easy and suggest I do it myself. I am looking to buy a Xiaomi phone don't like the software that comes with Xiaomi phones. I read one can download other software, ROMs, I think they are called. I have seen Youtube explaining how to do it. Beyond my capability.

I would rather just pay some young skilled guy to do it. Anyone have any experience at this? Where can I go to have this done? Cebu City. Thanks

It can be easy if the phone has TWRP installed... 

Won't it invalidate your warranty ?

If not - maybe check if the phone has TWRP - then you can make a backup of your existing ROM on a micro sd card and install a new one without too many worries

It's used a lot on Android phones and TV boxes (Kodi Boxes)...

Have to admit the phone I jail broke worked better before!

Soupeod
3 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

It can be easy if the phone has TWRP installed... 

Won't it invalidate your warranty ?

If not - maybe check if the phone has TWRP - then you can make a backup of your existing ROM on a micro sd card and install a new one without too many worries

It's used a lot on Android phones and TV boxes (Kodi Boxes)...

Have to admit the phone I jail broke worked better before!

Ok what is TWRP?

How do you make a back up of your ROM on a SD card?

Please refer to my previous post.

cogon88
Posted (edited)

you can order a unlocked reconditioned I-phone 5S from LAZADA comes with a 1 year apple warranty I have one for 5 months now no issues 

Edited by cogon88

easy44
17 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

Proceed at your own risk. If it was me, for sure the phone would end up bricked and useless. Then again, that's just my kind of luck!

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 3:19 PM, Rexsmith said:

Considering the cost of the phone and modding the SW which may or may not work, isn't there another phone with SW you like?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

cookie47

This not a specific answer to the question, but I have considered changing the ROM on my various phones just as a project.. (but chickened out)..

When working I had Samsung Galaxy phones,, 1,2,3,4,.As soon as a new phone came out I had to have it.

Jump forward a few years and now retired paying $1000 and more for a phone was not on.

My niece then intruduced us to Xiaomi phones. She lives in Singapore.

Thus I have had 5 plus my wife =10 Xiaomi phones.
Redmi I, 2, and 3,
Plus I've had a note 1 and now a Max1.which is a Phablit.(currently typing on it) A bit big for daily use "if your working" but OK for me as a retiree.

Of cource you have your reasons and I'M certainly not trying to sway that. But I'm hard pressed to understand the difficulty of a standard Xiaomi ROM. A can't see the difference, yes a few menu icons/menu/and swipe commands are different. The only problem (if it's a problem) that I found Australia is not available in the region menu. But I just use Singapore and select English.. Keyboard is ok "but" I always download swift key anyway..

I have found them very reliable and to be honest do everything a top of the range Samsung galaxy does for $190sg dollar's.

Maybe the Camara is not as sharp as a Samsung Galaxy 10,,,,

Anyway that's my take on it...
Cheers..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

JohnSurrey
18 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Ok what is TWRP?

How do you make a back up of your ROM on a SD card?

Please refer to my previous post.

How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery On Any Android Phone...

Check it out!

We have a cheapish samsung with some crappy sw on it but I just parked it all inside a folder and left it there.

Rexsmith
On 6/13/2019 at 5:19 PM, SkyMan said:

Considering the cost of the phone and modding the SW which may or may not work, isn't there another phone with SW you like?

I like that Pocophone F1 but don't like the Xiaomi software.

T.S.

You could try just installing a 3rd party launcher yourself and see if you like that rather than changing the whole OS rom. It will change some of the main screens you interact with most. They install like a regular app from the play store.

Nova Launcher is a popular one. You can try it on any current android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

• Like 2

p-power

My Xiaomi Mi A1 runs stock Android, the Xiaomi A  series don't run MIUI.
But I had MIUI phones before, imho  nothing wrong with that ui.

Rexsmith
On 6/16/2019 at 5:34 PM, T.S. said:

You could try just installing a 3rd party launcher yourself and see if you like that rather than changing the whole OS rom. It will change some of the main screens you interact with most. They install like a regular app from the play store.

Nova Launcher is a popular one. You can try it on any current android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Using this Nova Launcher will not remove all the Xiaomi bloatware. Or will it? I can't stand all the bloatware. This is the issue.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, p-power said:

My Xiaomi Mi A1 runs stock Android, the Xiaomi A  series don't run MIUI.
But I had MIUI phones before, imho  nothing wrong with that ui.

Agree. I might get the upcoming Mi A3. But the Pocophone F1 is on sale now and is a great phone. 

to_dave007

Maybe it's a a dumb idea but….

.. this being the Philippines it stands to reason that if the Xiaomi phone is so cheap and so damn GOOD.. and if it were easy to install a new ROM and make it even better.. and STILL cheap....  then there SHOULD be a thriving underground economy doing just that.. and making the OP task easy.. for a price.  

anyone checked?

• Like 2

Rexsmith
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Maybe it's a a dumb idea but….

.. this being the Philippines it stands to reason that if the Xiaomi phone is so cheap and so damn GOOD.. and if it were easy to install a new ROM and make it even better.. and STILL cheap....  then there SHOULD be a thriving underground economy doing just that.. and making the OP task easy.. for a price.  

anyone checked?

I will ask at those phone repair shops next time I am in Alaya Mall.